Problem with 2010 Revelation U-turns

whatever13

Likes Bikes
I have a couple of month old set of 2010 Rockshox Revelation U-turn (120-150mm) forks.

The problem is that while the fork seems to function fine at 120mm, and while I can turn the fork up to close to 150mm, a light push on the handlebars results in the fork falling down to 120mm with a "clack" they then function normally through the remaining 120mm range.

This problem has been identified by a few people on MTBR:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=6245755#poststop

Relevant posts are: 1, 32, 34, 38, 42, 47, 64, 82, and 83.

I have contacted the distributor Monza Imports but they have not heard of the problem.

Has anyone had this problem or has any advice in getting it sorted out?

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Regardless of whether they have heard of the problem or not they still need to fix them if they were sold by them or came on a bike from your LBS.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Regardless of whether they have heard of the problem or not they still need to fix them if they were sold by them or came on a bike from your LBS.
Thanks Jaseh. Unfortunately they didn't and I understand I'll likely have to pay for the fix - I'm not having a go at Monza. I'm hoping though that someone locally might have had the problem looked at and be aware of what the fix involves (i.e. could an LBS do it? will it need a new part? etc etc) . Better not to reinvent the wheel etc.

bumpygreen

Rate Cool
If you bought them in Oz maybe send them back through the LBS that you bought them from for a warrantee job? Just because Monza has not heard of the problem does not mean they cant fix it.

jaseh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Get your LBS to ring them, keep hassling them. Email them with the link to that thread, especially the post from Darren at Push saying that RS know about the issue and are fixing it. If worse comes to worse a well written email to RS in the states will help. If you can get it out of them that there is an issue, monza have to fix it as they are the distributor here.

supergayracer

Likes Dirt
Just because Monza haven't heard of a problem does not mean the problem doesn't exist.
IF the fork is under warranty( you haven't told us the specifics of your purchase etc so I don't know if they are or not) you should at least send it to them so they can look at the issue. Alternatively if you are happy to pay for a fix there are a few independent suspension servicing/tuning companies around which could probably solve the issue for you.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
For anyone that's interested I had these forks repaired by NS Suspension up in Brisbane - fantastic service and really know their stuff. They have done essentially the same fix Push does on these in the US. Basically involves gluing together two parts that have not been properly attached in the u-turn mechanism!

Glad I wasn't relying on warranty, Monza has no stock of the u-turn unit that is faulty and I understand it would take six weeks to get the part in. Of course, if I got the new part it would probably also break (as has happened to people who have taken this route in the US) as the issue seems to be with the manufacturing process for all of these new generation u turn units, it is not a one off.

So you might want to think about this if you're considering upgrading to these forks.

Slank

Likes Bikes
Glad I wasn't relying on warranty, Monza has no stock of the u-turn unit that is faulty and I understand it would take six weeks to get the part in. Of course, if I got the new part it would probably also break (as has happened to people who have taken this route in the US) as the issue seems to be with the manufacturing process for all of these new generation u turn units, it is not a one off.

So you might want to think about this if you're considering upgrading to these forks.
Well I can say having just picked up my revelation 2010 team uturns yesterday after being away for nearly a month that they lasted 30min before I heard the horrid clack sound. So back to the lbs today. Pretty sure mine went back through monza. Hopefully i can get something sorted out because these forks really are awesome, having two of them fail after 3 laps of the ourimbah XC course, 30min at majura and 5km on glenrock firetrail tho has left me a little disheartened considering they have both gone whilst on solid smooth slightly decending trails.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
Slank - so have you had a couple of sets of these break on you?

As far as I know Rockshox have not yet fixed the problem with the u-turn part that keeps breaking so chances are the replacement part will also go. The MTBR thread reports multiple failures in replacement forks.

I got my forks back from NS Suspension today after sending them on Monday. They are fixed for the price of their usual service which includes a few extra mods and tuning them to your weight and riding style. It cost me $160 but at least I'll be out riding this weekend.

Slank

Likes Bikes
Slank - so have you had a couple of sets of these break on you?
Yeah first set after maybe 100km of riding sent back under warranty, second one that broke was after receiving it back from warranty and riding maybe 10km. I am a heavy bloke at 110kg in riding gear but both times the travel would not have deviated more then 10mm normally ie flat hard ground pedalling between 10-20kmph both chambers at around 155psi.

Local bike store has been great, dropped them back today to get the uturn cartridge replaced with the standard dual air cartridge as I have no need for adjusting the travel and only originally got it so if i wanted to put it on another bike at a later date I could.

Looking at the mtbr forums it looks like push industries have replacement parts as well to fix the issue so I would guess NS are doing the same thing and replacing the defective internal part.

Same thing has just happened to me. Very pi$$ed off about the whole situation. Bought a new 2010 Scott Genius 50 that has this fork on it. First ride went fine, although it was only about 10km of bitumen and about 2km of fire trails, and considering this is my first time ever on a MTB in 15 yrs (been a roadie for the last few years) I was going pretty easy.

The next day I rode off my driveway and heard the bang. Same thing, the fork was sloppy from the 150mm down to the 120mm and you then feel and hear a thud/clunk. From 120mm and on it feels normal.

Took the bike back to LBS, bike was less than 24hrs old. They sent the fork back to the importer I am guessing for it to be repaird. Turn around time is 2 weeks apparently so I have another week to wait.

I'll post again once I know what the outcome is.

I am cringeing at the thought that this might be a regular occurance.

whatever13

Likes Bikes
After a couple of hours at Sparrow Hill on Friday night and another couple around Stromlo yesterday I can report that so far the NS Suspension fix is working perfectly (and with the tuning they did, better than before!).

It's great that they're fixed but it is incredible to me that a company like SRAM/RS can release a product with such a common (universal?) problem.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nothing worse than having to have brand new forks repaired!

But you know if it can happen to Toyota with much more serious consequences, I just hope it's not a sign of the things to come.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
It's great that they're fixed but it is incredible to me that a company like SRAM/RS can release a product with such a common (universal?) problem.
Have a quick search about the drama that sorround the new BoXXer fork. Also, don't ever raise the issue with a Monza employee at the dinnertable ;)

Well its been more than 4 weeks now and I am still waiting. This is turning into an absolute joke now! Does anyone know if the current run of replacement u-turn components are lasting, or whether they are failing just as quickly?

Banya

Squid
Anyone interested in joining forces on this issue?

I know its been a while since there was any activity on this thread but I thought I would see if anyone is still experiencing issues.
I've had my forks fail 4 times so far even with Monza involved. I'm aware of the US dramas and cant believe that either Monza or Rock Shox can solve the problem or provide replacements. I'm now being told that I will have to settle for the dual air cartridge which is not what I paid for. Bottom line is that the forks are faulty and I believe that they are hoping we will all go away thinking that its too hard. If you feel like getting involved, let me know.