Problems getting a roadie brake caliper to fully retract after braking

Binaural

Eats Squid
I've got a skanky 3yo 105-equipped roadie which does duty as a long-distance commuter every day. I've had the bike for 3 years, when I was living in Europe, so it's done loads of hours through snow, mud and general wet-road splatter. I've just pulled the bike out of the shipping container and in the course of the normal mechanical checks I realise the front brake does not fully release after braking. I can push the calipers fully open with my fingers, but the return spring does not seem to be able to do the job. It can clear the rim, but if the wheel develops any wobble at all it's going to rub like mad.

I think that simply increasing the return spring tension might do the trick, but I can't work out how to do this - there does not seem to be a reversing washer or anything like I've read online elsewhere. I replaced the rear caliper on this bike 6 months ago since even after disassembly and regreasing it would not open properly. Does anybody have any tips on how I might be able to sort this out short of buying a new caliper (money is tight right now)?

rone

Eats Squid
Sometimes simply removing the caliper, soaking in penetrating oil and then manually 'cycling' the brake through its full range of movement is enough to dislodge any crap that's in there. Not guaranteed but worth a punt. As the caliper only has a very limited movement when installed the extra movement can help budge whatever is jamming it up.

frensham

Likes Dirt
Have you checked that the cable is running free? There could be heaps of gunk in the cable preventing it from closing properly. Take the cable off the caliper and test it. If it is still stiff then spray lots of WD40 into the pivot points and wait a while.....

Binaural

Eats Squid
OK, problem sorted out - taking it off and soaking in penetrating oil and then cycling a few times seems to have freed up the mechanism. I also checked the cable, and while the end is a little burred, it does not seem to have contributed to the problem. I don't think the mechanism needs much lubrication due to the small range of movement, so I think my original plan of taking the brake off, stripping it and regreasing was a Bad Idea (the grease may be have sticky as dirt). If I'd only taken the easy way out with the rear caliper I might not need to have replaced it. I really should know better!

Thanks guys, appreciate the tips!

floody

Wheel size expert
I use triflow to lube them, rag over tyre, soak liberally, let set in the wipe away excess.

Personally I'd put a new cable on anyway, if its copped enough grime to seize up the caliper, the cable won't be far off.

WD40/CRC is a degreaser, if that is what you have used the fix will be temporary at best.