Production Privee Shan Build (first ground up build)

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Received this off another burner tonight
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415966543.868207.jpg

And after about 15 minutes of wrestling with sticky tape and bubble wrap I found this.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415966655.725648.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415966673.753374.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415966691.683486.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415966704.236936.jpg

Most of the parts for this build will be coming off either my banshee viento or commencal meta 55. Merging them together in the form of the Privee to just have the one bike.

Current spec as of 7/1/2015

Frame - Production Privee Shan, Large (Blue/ White)
Rear shock - Legs
Front shock/fork - 160mm RockShox Pike Solo Air
Handlebars - Funn Fatboy - 750mm
Stem - Funnduro 45mm
Front brake - Shimano XT (M785)180 mm ice tech
Rear brake - Shimano XT (M785) 160 mm ice tech
BB - Production Privee PF BB92
Headset - Cane Creek 40 series
Chainring - Hope NW 32t
Crankset - Shimano XT
Chain - KMC 10 speed gold
Pedals - DMR Vault
Seat Post - KS LEV Ti
Seat - Soon to be SDG Bel Air
Rear derailleur - SRAM X9 type 2
Rear shifter - SRAM X0
Cassette - Shimano XT 10 speed
Front Hub - Hope Pro II Evo
Rear Hub - Hope Pro II Evo
Rims - Stans Flow EX
Tyres - Front: Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35" tubeless
Rear: Schwalbe Rock Razor 2.35" tubeless

Further details to come (probably both here and the Fuckwit thread) when the parts arrive and the build begins!

Last edited:

Nick_M2r

Likes Dirt
That has to be one of the most gorgeous hard tail AM bikes out there, especially in that colour. Cant wait to see her built up!
Am so tempted to go for one of these as my next build, looking forward to a ride report!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Dat blue ... Awesomeness.

Out or curiosity, Can you tape up or otherwise cover the headtube grill / badge?

for long term Shan owners, does trail dust and muck turn into mud in there and stuff up the lower headset beatings ? Sorry to bushwack the thread, I've always been curious about the headtube grill. K9 has something similar now as well.

edit ... I have these blue bars that would go awesome with that frame.

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Dat blue ... Awesomeness.

Out or curiosity, Can you tape up or otherwise cover the headtube grill / badge?

for long term Shan owners, does trail dust and muck turn into mud in there and stuff up the lower headset beatings ? Sorry to bushwack the thread, I've always been curious about the headtube grill. K9 has something similar now as well.

edit ... I have these blue bars that would go awesome with that frame.
I was planning on covering it up, but it's already done. It has frameskin (or equivalent) over it. It is pretty much a gaping whole, so while looking awesome, would let all manner of dust and water in to rest on the lower headset bearing.

The Funn fatbars going on it are already blue ;)

ChopSticks

Banned
sweet frame dude!!

head tube is def pimp... but totally impractical (prob why they ditched it with the new 27 Shan. MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN CG'S Green one? *drool*)
No doubt this will look just a good if not better!!!

all you need now are white pikes? a black lev off Nerd? and $$$$ for a/two potential knee reco's :heh:

edit: maybe tape the inside of the mesh too? it seems like dirt is now collecting around the edge of the outside frame skin?

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
sweet frame dude!!

head tube is def pimp... but totally impractical (prob why they ditched it with the new 27 Shan. MY GOD HAVE YOU SEEN CG'S Green one? *drool*)
No doubt this will look just a good if not better!!!

all you need now are white pikes? a black lev off Nerd? and $$$$ for a/two potential knee reco's :heh:

edit: maybe tape the inside of the mesh too? it seems like dirt is now collecting around the edge of the outside frame skin?
Can't see the frameskin getting dirty or lifting off, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it with routine maintenance. Pikes will be black as I never seem to use dual position feature on forks so didn't want to pay the extra just for colour. I am hoping for an LEV though. Been using a dropzone for about a year and this frame is a different size seat tube. I've always wanted an excuse to go for the LEV. Upgrade time!

dug8713

Likes Dirt
This is gonna be one sweet looking Shan! Was drooling over the blue/white combo ever since it came out. Can't wait to see it built up

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
It has begun.

Just trying to decide on a dropper for the final piece of the puzzle. Some of the blue ano parts off my meta don't match very well, but I can change them out later for black if they really annoy me. Need to change brake hoses (currently too short) next week and hopefully the rest will go on smoothly. Will also convert to tubeless (have to see what the fuss is about) once I have spent a bit of time on it with tubes (just so I can see what difference the tubeless is actually making, if any).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416619015.147508.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416619097.776842.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416619367.840214.jpg

Getting pretty excited!

Last edited:

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Swapped the front brake hose tonight as it was a tad short for the longer fork and wider bars. Bled the brake (love how easy shimano brakes are to bleed) and set it up. Then promptly through some cranks/ pedals/ grips on so I could roll from the highest corner of the yard to the lowest corner.......... Don't judge me, I'm sure I'm not the first to do it!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416994426.418128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416994448.575763.jpg

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Rear brake is done. Taking this one slow as I'm waiting on bits and it's giving me something to do whilst away for work.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417331773.508150.jpg

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Any feedback or suggestions on spec for this bike? Thinking about going some carbon bars at some stage. Unsure on width, but thinking raceface sixc at 785 and can cut them down if needed. What does the rb community think of the proposed build?

mitchy_

Llama calmer
Any feedback or suggestions on spec for this bike? Thinking about going some carbon bars at some stage. Unsure on width, but thinking raceface sixc at 785 and can cut them down if needed. What does the rb community think of the proposed build?
white pikes... :behindsofa: you cant buy a frame as suave as that, then disgrace it with black forks.

ditch the blue bars, grey crank, and yellow pedals too!

HimynameisMike

Likes Dirt
stick with the plan. Reading from your initial post about how you want to build it, going to be an amazing bike. Hardtails are always a heap of fun to ride, especially the 'AM/Enduro' orientated ones.
Definitely envious of the frame, looks amazing.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the heads up nerf. I will likely go to a gxp bb when my current one wears out so I can use my gxp cranks with direct mount ring, but not going to change a new bb just so I can get rid of the silver though. I didn't think I'd like the black forks, but they have grown on me a lot and I think they look quite good now (better than I expected). I never used the dual position feature on my old revs so I didn't want to pay more for them for a feature I don't care for, which is why I went black not white. Will not be running the gold pedals, they were just the closest at the time.

I have found it challenging to find a balance between building a practical and cheap(ish) bike using existing parts and spending money on new parts that won't improve the way the bike rides but do "justice" to the frame in their appearance. Hence putting the question out there.

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Got the drivetrain together tonight. Just waiting on a dropper now and she's good to go. Will likely upgrade a few things over time and go tubeless at some stage. The brakes need a little bit of love, the rear is either contaminated or glazed. Was fine, but has been sitting for over a year.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417426666.757832.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417426687.698596.jpg