Progression or sacrilege?

Ryan

Radministrator
I've been looking to learn how to grind on my MTB for a while now and rather than try to learn on things that weren't meant to be ground (Grinded?) on like pedals and sprockets I decided to bite the bullet and run a cut down rear peg with a solid rear axle. I've seen it done before in the movie Jib and a few random forums around the place and was wondering what the general feeling amongst MTBers was to the practice? Is it just a logical step forward in the progression of MTB street, or is it something best left to the 20 inch boys?

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
well umm reah, i would ay yeas, but i dont agree. theat is some weird topic. and requires alot more thourght than im gonna give it, I sreiousluly woudnt give ti that much though, just hit it up man... i mean really. waht have you to to lose?

Oppy

Likes Dirt
If I have one brake, rigid forks, pegs, no gears, and smooth tyres
aren't I riding a BMX even if it does have 26" wheels. Yeah its cool to do tricks on an Mtb but don't think we will be anything but a joke to bmx bikes interms of technical tricks. Small bike will always be better at doing tech stuff. But if you want to really big and fast over rough ground and bust tricks as well thats the future of Mtb.

Who will be first to back flip of a cliff? People are already doing bar spins and 360's of 6-8" drops. Kirt Vories busted a bar spin off a drop at a recent freeride comp in the states. Finally a use for those 1.5" headsets, bring on the 1.5" gyro and down tube mounted shifters.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Pana said:
well umm reah, i would ay yeas, but i dont agree. theat is some weird topic. and requires alot more thourght than im gonna give it, I sreiousluly woudnt give ti that much though, just hit it up man... i mean really. waht have you to to lose?
i hate to take this off topic.. but cvorrect..

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Ryan, you should definitely go for it. It'll always be the guys who are farthest out there that end up defining the sport.

I think it's awesome to see the MTB evolve and change. Some stuff will stay. Some will die off. But if people don't try new stuff... how are we gonna know?

And don't worry about the "Just buy a BMX" argument. That's just close minded crap. You can get your fill of that at another popular freeriding website's BB. ;)

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
ummm after thinking avout this seriouslyl... it is a bmx. sort of thing. if you have a nice chain guide i reckon it'll work.. but without it might not be worth it....

Ryan

Radministrator
Ahh scott, how you'll enjoy reading this tomorrow morning. That's some of the best obviously drunken typing I've seen in a while :)
i would ay yeas, but i dont agree
classic.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
FYI, the guys at Evil/e13 are soon to release a guide specificly designed for park/gringing(not the standard SRS or DRS). I believe they may have some mini pegs in the works also aswell as a headlock with a hole in it so you can run your front brake line through it for bar spins.
If you wanna chat to some one thats right into his street/park riding including grinds etc look up a guy called MiniChase over on the HCOR.net forums.

I personally don't really have an opinion on this subject.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
Ryan said:
Ahh scott, how you'll enjoy reading this tomorrow morning. That's some of the best obviously drunken typing I've seen in a while :)
i would ay yeas, but i dont agree
classic.
god damn.. i dont even remember getting on the computer!

Ty

Eats Squid
e.13 srs guide is already out there, first shipments should be coming into australia sometime in the next month or so.

Ryan

Radministrator
UPDATE: Shimano 10mm solid axles are not up to having pegs attatched. A total of 5 attempts at feeble grinding and the axle is f*cked, bent beyond being used again. For now, consider this experiment failed.