Progressive 5th Element Coil opinions

jawry

Likes Dirt
G'day All,

Have been trying to track down a second hand DHX5 Coil or similar to try on my heckler (8.5 x 2.5). No luck yet.

Hamo at Neezay still has Progressive 5th Element Coils available (both the 5 way and 3 way).

Question: its been a while since progressive built mtb shocks - have they gone 'out of date' that much that they are now completely surpassed by recent shocks?

Hamo has them well priceed (compared to 2013-15 stuff) and wondering if its worth the gamble.

BTW - current shock is RP23 - but having had many a DH bike in my day, i really do prefer the action/feel of a coil rear.

Cheer,

jawbone.

BKMad

Likes Dirt
I had one on a heckler years ago. They're heavy and the damper has a tendency to blow. For a 200mm eye to eye shock mine was over 1kg including the spring. That said, I quite liked the ride it gave, but didn't like the unreliability. In the end I replaced it with a fox van R which I got push tuned. That rode even better. You can pick up fox van RC's for around $350, get it tuned by nsdynamics or tekin down the line and you'll have a great shock. You don't need all the adjustments if the shock has been tuned for your bike and weight.