Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
After a brisk drive up to hospital just now (not for me this time!), the Subaru has its new shoes but real loud vibration noise whenever I turn left on a long wide bend. Didn't before with the old tires, now it's loud as hell. Any ideas?

Man, the mighty Subaru. Holds its pace when it finally gets there, passenger is screaming she needs water, hey there's 24 600ml bottles behind the seat along with trail mix and other bike goodies!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

link1896

Mr Greenfield
After a brisk drive up to hospital just now (not for me this time!), the Subaru has its new shoes but real loud vibration noise whenever I turn left on a long wide bend. Didn't before with the old tires, now it's loud as hell. Any ideas?

Man, the mighty Subaru. Holds its pace when it finally gets there, passenger is screaming she needs water, hey there's 24 600ml bottles behind the seat along with trail mix and other bike goodies!

Typical of a wheel bearing. On the highway going straight it will probably howl over a 10km/h range, and of course around left hand corners. Good luck.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Hope it's not the centre diff, although that was more of a clunk like the drivetrain binding a bit (it was). Fine in a line, but not on corners.

binner

Hath shat hymself
Ffs

Nice split for $6000 I know of, needs work. I've got my eye on a dual cab Bay window.

where the hell are you to find all these classic Vw's..... do you want to buy a pretty cool type 3 ute that was designed and built by an ol boy coach builder....:thumb:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
where the hell are you to find all these classic Vw's..... do you want to buy a pretty cool type 3 ute that was designed and built by an ol boy coach builder....:thumb:
Instagram, aussiekombihunter.

Saw that somewhere, aussie vee dubbers?

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Haha no shit. Pics? I always forget my password for avd, don't wanna do the forgotten password stuff again.

binner

Hath shat hymself
its for sale

That's mad, I bet there's not many of those around.
there are a few hacked ones that are really fucking bad. This conversion was done by a coach builder in Brisbane, he was an ol hillclimber too.Passed away some years back apparently. The conversion is pretty fucking clean, I just don't have the time space or money at the moment to keep it.

Flow-Rider

Burner
there are a few hacked ones that are really fucking bad. This conversion was done by a coach builder in Brisbane, he was an ol hillclimber too.Passed away some years back apparently. The conversion is pretty fucking clean, I just don't have the time space or money at the moment to keep it.
I'm in the same boat, just have too many cars.

stirk

Burner
here a re a few more..........
I was recently talking about the kombi wagons like this, I see a few getting around, are they factory or custom?

ebay504039.jpg

Were you making a green one a while back with wood stips on the tray? I vaguely recall that.

stirk

Burner
thats factory, and yep i did. Sold it for a nice sum of money.
Sweet, they are very nice, sadly don't see many about. The last one I saw was at Central Station in Sydney, parked up where tradies are restoring the old sandstone walls of the station, original and sllightly rusty condition still being used as a work van!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Can't think of anything I want more than a dual cab bus. 6 seats, 6 bikes, and if you left a day early you'd get to the local track on time.

The single cab was getting a new wiring harness in Penrith near my Subaru mechanic, funnily enough he bought out an aircooled service company, but wouldn't let em touch mine. Had a nice rebuilt stocker motor, nice height and heaps of paaatiiiiinnnnaaaa brooooooo.
Especially dig the storage compartments under the tray between the door and rear wheels. Advertised em as weather proof with massive air vents in em haha.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Well I think I'm about to make a really smart dumb decision. Found a 1954 beetle, complete, looks insane with a heap of rust and black paint mixed together (my favorite) and all matching panels and parts, nothing missing but the engine. I've got my bigger motor getting built in the background now so that's no problem, and it's a fucking '54, first we got in Aus. Already talked loans with the bank, now I just have to decide if I can actually strip mine for parts and say goodbye or have 2 and be very single. Feel like I'd regret it (said that about that rag bug, too...) but it's just so special. Have to cut my losses on the '61 but start fresh with all my new knowledge I feel like I could do a lot better job.

EDIT: yeah, I gone done did it. Helloooo crippling debt. Meet my new '54.

Will order the plates soon. Not sure on orange or red, probably red.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Productive day at the wreckers, found a donor forester that was smashed 10,000km after a timing belt change, whoever did the timing job did it right and replaced everything.

Scored a high volume oil pump too.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Kinda stalled on doing anything with this for a while, but been having a bit of a tweak here & there, mainly doing brake work. When I got the car it had 7.5" Cooper S discs up front, with no vacuum booster. First upgrade I did was to fit said booster...

Before:

After:

Then I replaced the 7.5" solid discs & two-pot calipers with 8.4" vented rotors & four-pot calipers. Had to replace the front lines as well when I did this 'cos the old ones broke undoing the ends.....

Rear brake cylinders have seized, so they need replacing too now.
Poor Mini had been put on the backburner for a while, but got around to having a bit more of a crack at it. Got the rear brake cylinders done a while back, and that's kinda where things stopped - pun not wholly unintended...

I'd try giving it a crack at starting up every so often, with mixed results. Then its battery died, so I'd borrow the one out of the daily Sube. Recent attempts at turning over got absolutely nothing; figured it might have just been the daily's battery getting tired too, which I knew was happening. New battery in the Sube last week, so figured might as well plug it into the Brick & see what happened. Resounding CLUNK as the starter engaged the flywheel which was more than last time with the old battery, then nothing. Fuck!

So, with no engine crane or means of dropping the subframe with engine out, this is a little bit, but not entirely fucked. So figure I'll try a partial deconstruction & at least see how the innards look. Thankfully the A-Series isn't exactly complicated, dating from around 1950, give or take a couple of years, so it's not rocket surgery. Managed to disconnect the radiator, although not removed fully 'cos there's a section of fan shroud restricting extraction of the lower rad. hose, but it's not attached to anything. Inlet & exhaust manifolds off, enabling removal of the cylinder head. Cylinder 1 & 4 bores nice & shiny, just the expected black shit on the pistons. Not so pretty is a bit of surface rust in cylinder 2 & 3 bores. Bugger. Liberally spray bores with WD40 and wipe with a rag; seems to be cleaning up OK. Then, brainwave! With no head on, there's no compression, so with luck should be able to move the car in gear. Slip it into 4th, which is a fairly direct (after the diff) ratio and give it a decent shove. Reluctantly, IT MOVES!!!!! :smile: That's progress. Keep rolling back & forward in the limited space I've got to move, and it gets easier & smoother. Bonus is, as I've learned through the Mini forum, this this primes the oil pump & gets the oil circulating too, which is obviously not a bad thing. So, grab the battery out of the daily & plug it in. First hit with the starter makes a bit of an ugly noise, so a few more pushes back & forward. Next go & it turns over. Obviously with no head it's not going to fire, but it goes around!!!!! Grubby bores seem to have cleaned up alright just from getting the pistons moving again, so hopefully I've dodged a bullet with this one. I'll give the head a clean up while it's off & hopefully this thing will fire up again soon.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Well I think I'm about to make a really smart dumb decision. Found a 1954 beetle, complete, looks insane with a heap of rust and black paint mixed together (my favorite) and all matching panels and parts, nothing missing but the engine. I've got my bigger motor getting built in the background now so that's no problem, and it's a fucking '54, first we got in Aus. Already talked loans with the bank, now I just have to decide if I can actually strip mine for parts and say goodbye or have 2 and be very single. Feel like I'd regret it (said that about that rag bug, too...) but it's just so special. Have to cut my losses on the '61 but start fresh with all my new knowledge I feel like I could do a lot better job.

EDIT: yeah, I gone done did it. Helloooo crippling debt. Meet my new '54.

Will order the plates soon. Not sure on orange or red, probably red.

]
Nice one, what's the plan, strip the other one or be single?

Productive day at the wreckers, found a donor forester that was smashed 10,000km after a timing belt change, whoever did the timing job did it right and replaced everything.

Scored a high volume oil pump too.

Good score, nice coffee cup by the way, clashes nicely with the interior trim.

I'm busy working on a stereo upgrade, pics to post later.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Nice one, what's the plan, strip the other one or be single?

Good score, nice coffee cup by the way, clashes nicely with the interior trim.

I'm busy working on a stereo upgrade, pics to post later.
Strip mine for drive train and electrics then clean swap. Swap chassis and restore the 54 pan in the background, then swap back when it's done (air ride).

How big is the stereo set up?