Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

creaky

XMAS Plumper

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
The 2018 Giulietta isn’t a terrible thing to have in the driveway as our modern daily. Despite the hassles with the dealer and the hailstorm and insurance companies, it still makes me smile when I give it some welly and it doesn’t blend into all the modern clones in the carpark.

It’s not a rocket with only 125kws, but it gets along ok.

Mr Crudley

Wheel size expert
I had a 1983 Guiietta for a couple of years in the late 90s. Aside from the expected sloppy shifting it was a classy and fun vehicle for $3k.
Sold it for a 1970(?) GTV with a similar engine but a whole lot more sex.

This kinda makes me bar up ....

View attachment 381999

That looks like a load of fun. The Guilietta's come up looking great and even practical.

I have a friend who had a 105 long ago. He pumped a load of $$$ into it and did a lot of work on it himself. Took a few years.

It went like hell and I remember it needed some weight in the back to get traction or it would tramp around if you really gave it a lot of throttle. I don't think it weighed very much either. A sack of something heavy sure helped rear wheel traction. That was a great little car and love how they look.

Mr Crudley

Wheel size expert
The 2018 Giulietta isn’t a terrible thing to have in the driveway as our modern daily. Despite the hassles with the dealer and the hailstorm and insurance companies, it still makes me smile when I give it some welly and it doesn’t blend into all the modern clones in the carpark.

It’s not a rocket with only 125kws, but it gets along ok.View attachment 382000
Very nice. The do look great and have that classic Alfa lineage look. You won't miss it in the carpark. The Alfa interiors all have that flair that not much else in that price will have.

I'd love to have an Alfa one day but have personal issues to beat into submission first.

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
The Alfa interiors all have that flair that not much else in that price will have.
Would be nice if had any legroom in the back and somewhere to put anything at all in the centre console though :) There is one tiny cup holder under the handbrake and that’s it!

But it looks nice and the ergonomics are actually great which is very un Italian. But only the automatics get a foot rest - the hvac assembly is offset to the right so there is less footwell space in the right so RHD manual cars don’t have room for a footrest. LHD manuals do of course.

Renaults often have the same sort of “quirks” in the RHD conversions - I swear they do it on purpose to piss off the poms!

Mr Crudley

Wheel size expert
Would be nice if had any legroom in the back and somewhere to put anything at all in the centre console though :) There is one tiny cup holder under the handbrake and that’s it!

But it looks nice and the ergonomics are actually great which is very un Italian. But only the automatics get a foot rest - the hvac assembly is offset to the right so there is less footwell space in the right so RHD manual cars don’t have room for a footrest. LHD manuals do of course.

Renaults often have the same sort of “quirks” in the RHD conversions - I swear they do it on purpose to piss off the poms!
Oh well, fair compromise. Stops you carrying unneeded stuff and you have less to clean out of the car. Wasn't the cup holder and American 'innovation' anyhow? Italians would rather stop and have a coffee more civilised than a drive through I'd guess.

Does it have small and fairly close together pedals? I remember that trait. Not the best place for big feet :)

Call it character in Euro cars. I haven't seen too many French cars up close but there must be a fine line between avant-garde innovation and plain old Gallic weirdness.
We love them anyhow.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I reckon I missed the boat on the 105 GTVs. Was seriously considering a 1750 or 2000 about 5 years ago but we bought a house instead. Could have purchased a restored one for around $50k - $60k. About double that now after a quick browse on carsales. Not sure they are getting those prices?

Flow-Rider

Wheel size expert
I reckon I missed the boat on the 105 GTVs. Was seriously considering a 1750 or 2000 about 5 years ago but we bought a house instead. Could have purchased a restored one for around $50k - $60k. About double that now after a quick browse on carsales. Not sure they are getting those prices?
There was a 4cly GT for sale in Brisbane for about 4k.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
My old man bought a really neat 1969 1750 about 18 months ago. I have a feeling he paid in the low 40s, but that's his hobby, finding good deals. He did a few minor tidy ups on it (tinkering) for a year and sold it 3 months ago at a pretty good profit, as usual.

I think $50 to $60k is more than enough if you are clued in to the market. Would have to be a pretty special car to get double that.

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
In addition to illegally welding on a new coupling the trailer is also getting a couple of water tanks for beach trips when the camper is otherwise occupied.

The bracket creep has returned! Plan is to fit two 59L tanks under the front half of the trailer floor, connect them together and have a hand pump for potable water needs, a connection to the hot water system for showering etc and a common filler. I struggled to find 1" hosetail connections that were potable water grade. Finally found some made by a company in Germany and there is a local supplier so the bits are on their way to me. Interesting that when I called a couple of caravan places they swore they only use John Guest potable water safe fittings. I know this is bullshit for the filler, and I guess they use low density poly irrigation fittings. Anyway not to worry the right parts have been found. All hoses including breather will be potable rated hose.

I have a most of a sheet of 1.2 gal which is stiff enough if dimpled in the right places. A few hand sketches later and a design appeared. I tried using CAD for this but really I am too old and think better if I can scribble on a bit of paper and leave the original lines and draw over with the next idea...

What looked to be a damn good dimpling on paper was not doable because the dies overlapped the previous dimple so a few went from 1.5" to 1" and so on. I have a small capacity finger brake and this was perfect to fold these shapes. A little encouragement but nothing extreme and the folds are neat.

Test fitted on the pointy end of the trailer. I should have made the leading edge a folded seam but too late now. I may well have to put a front on anyway to keep the wet sand off the bits. We will see. I was planning to mount them with M6 rivnuts in the brackets and bolted through from the trailer but a quick engineering review suggested M8 would be better since I was all out of M6 rivnuts and had plenty of M8s.

And here with the hand pump and filler installed. Just need to grab some sus M5 cap head screws for the filler. And mount the tanks...

Because the sheet is so thin I just rivetted the brackets together with sus rivets.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Retail therapy time!
Grips, top end kit and linkage bearings ordered for the TE300.
Even got change out of $500!

New chain and sprockets. Shop I went to didn’t have a decent sprocket (that wasn’t bloody orange) in stock so rocking a aluminium rear that’ll last like 3 rides. At least it’s black.
77F7B412-E979-4229-99FF-806C68881F52.jpeg

Haakon

Call me Ken, whoreken
Friend looking for a reliable small wagon - i30 is the obvious choice, but is the Cruze really as crap as the reputation suggests...?

Dales Cannon

The Olden Dazed
Staff member
Friend looking for a reliable small wagon - i30 is the obvious choice, but is the Cruze really as crap as the reputation suggests...?
Yes. If they were lots better they would be classified as buckets of shit.

i30 is the correct answer, when the erotic windows stop working buy an eBay kit and spent 32 mins fixing it.