Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm an absolute gluten for punishment, so I'm looking at buying a two-stroke 250 to restore - either a KR1S, NSR250 or a TZR250. I have got my eyes on a nice cheap '96 model NSR250 at the moment...it's set up as a track bike but apparently isn't a write-off and could be registered if I wanted to put all the road going gear back on it. I want to do a REVS check but it seems these are only state based. The owner claims he bought it from QLD where it was registered, he's in NSW. Is there a way to check its history throughout all of Australia so I can ensure I'm not buying a written off/stolen bike?

floody

Wheel size expert
Well all three of those were shitboxes but the TZR is probably the best of a bad bunch.

What about an RGV?

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RGV's are probably the worst of the lot from information I've gleaned from around the traps. It really doesn't phase me, you don't start these projects without knowing you're going to have a fiddly, time consuming and all round unreliable money pit at the end.

I'm pretty keen on an NSR...and I have a set of Rothman's OG leathers somewhere too.

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
RGV's are probably the worst...

Speaking to my old man, who's ridden and owned all those bikes at some stage:

"TZR is by far most rider friendly and most reliable. I bought my TZR new in about '88. I never really owned a NSR for any good period of time, but it was the fastest, especially the SP model with the dry clutch.

The worst was the KR1, and it's funny now when you see a KR1 for sale there's also a project bike to accompany it!

RGV was almost unrideable in the wet, it almost highsided me coming off Dandenong Road onto Chadstone road when it came up on the pipe. No wonder they're nicknamed "the kiddie killer". I lost count of how many crashed '88 models we got with L plates on the back.

If it were my choice I'd go for a TZR or NSR, NSR is a bit more exclusive but I like the TZR better as a riders bike."

I actually found in the garage the other week while I was cleaning, a genuine GYTR solo seat cowl cover to suit a TZR250!

I've also got a mate with a couple of KR1's and I own a whole lot of VJ22A RGV250 parts (fairings, wheels, USD forks, etc.), also have a little bit of VJ21 parts as well. So if you need bits throw us a PM =)

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers tld, great response. NSR definitely has that exclusive stigma about it - RGV's are common as mud, KR1's are a bit draconian...so it came down to NSR's and TZR's. I really want to do a Marlboro or Pepsi RGV one day though. There's a sweet KR1 on display in the servo at Hay, south of Forbes/Parkes...saw it in about 2005 and it's brilliant for what it is.

Both my old man and my uncle have been heavily involved in road racing in QLD for the last 30 years...they think I've lost my mind but once they realised I'd committed to this NSR, you could see that little glint in their eye. They've always had to do their projects on a budget so I think they're looking forward to the fact that I have a little bit of cash to throw at these things.

strika

Likes Bikes
Thanks for that awesome post mate, I had a ball reading through that :) The ZX6R's are a great bike.
You don't sound too shabby on the track by any means! What are you riding now?

<Insert random tangent>
In the past five months, my mate has gone through: Kawasaki ZX6R, Yamaha XT660X and a VTR1000.
Not crashed, mind you. Bought and then sold at a profit. He is an absolute freakin' nutter of a rider and I am jealous as hell. I wish I grew up riding dirt bikes from age 3 :p

The XT600X is a bloody good bike for the money. I don't think it should be on the LAMS list though ;)
I ride a ZRX1200 on the road. It's stock apart from a set of rear shocks and springs. I love it because the sports bike guys write you off at the bottom of the spur and then are too embarrassed to stop at the cafe when they arrive half an hour later.... :)

Oh....... and to VWNUT........ re-read my post mate. I am talking seconds. so..... just to assist you with the maths... there are 60 seconds in a minute.... so if I lap the Island in 105 (ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE) seconds, that is a 1'45" lap........... Hope that helps! :) I can go quicker, but not on a 1995 model 600 supersport bike with treaded tyres. I can get it under the 40 on a super. But, that's not fast.... the fast guys domestically now are running 34's!!!!! Smart bastards!!!! :)

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Cheers tld, great response. NSR definitely has that exclusive stigma about it - RGV's are common as mud, KR1's are a bit draconian...so it came down to NSR's and TZR's. I really want to do a Marlboro or Pepsi RGV one day though. There's a sweet KR1 on display in the servo at Hay, south of Forbes/Parkes...saw it in about 2005 and it's brilliant for what it is.

Both my old man and my uncle have been heavily involved in road racing in QLD for the last 30 years...they think I've lost my mind but once they realised I'd committed to this NSR, you could see that little glint in their eye. They've always had to do their projects on a budget so I think they're looking forward to the fact that I have a little bit of cash to throw at these things.
No worries, buddy. There's nothing like working on an old 2 stroke... ;),

Can be a bit of a nightmare when powervalves are involved though... As far as I know, you can't get RGV250 powervalve parts locally, haven't tried overseas.

NSR is a super cool bike! Definitely win on rareness stakes. Don't know if you've seen the NSR250 currently on the evilBays, but that looks like a pretty original rig. I'll see if I can dig up a photo of our old NSR250SP with the adjustable forks, white power shock and dry clutch. Definitely regretting selling that for a measily $2k!

Another bike to consider, is the Yamaha RZ350. They might be a bit older, but still a fantastic bike! They share the same engine with the Yamaha Banshee quad bike. Infact my local mechanic is building one with some of my old VJ22A RGV parts and a built engine from the USA. CNC machined head, welded Banshee stroker crank and high comp pistons brings it out to somewhere close to 450cc! I'll grab a photo next time I'm down there.

Last VJMC rally up at Healesville in Vic, went through the entire show without thinking "wow I want that bike in my shed", original CB750/4's, Z900 Jaffa's, etc. They were all there. As I was walking through the car park, one bike caught my eye. What I originally thought was a RGV250 pepsi model, but with 4x chambers with 4x carbon fibre arrow mufflers. The bike turned out to be an RG500 which the owner had grafted RGV250 VJ22 USD forks, gullwing swing-arm and Kevin Schwantz's Pepsi bodywork (even signed by the great man!). Probably my favourite bike, ever.

I'm rambling here, but there's something about old 2 strokes that "plastic fantastic" CBR250's can't compare to. They really get my blood pumping!

Let us know if you end up getting the NSR or infact any bike, I'll be able to help you find the parts you need (old man has some contacts from 30+years in the trade ;). )

strika

Likes Bikes
For you guys mucking about with smokers. If you havn't already bought one, here are some thoughts.

KR1S- A deadseat hand grenade. But, they were fast. Faster in a straight line than both the TZR, NSR and the RGV. But, they nip pistons and seize cranks the second a minor crankcase seal starts going and they go almost daily.

NSR- A little less unrealiable than the KR1S. A little. But, more midrange torque. Expensive for parts.

RGV- A reliable smoker. Not sure who told someone in here that they are the most unrealiable, whoever it was must have just got a bad one or a dodgied up 2nd hand one. All the ones I have had have been great once you modify the powervalve pins.

TZR- The most reliable, the most user friendly, but not by much. In terms of unobtanium, a reverse cylinder model with the carbs at the front and pipes exiting the rear of the head will be the most desirable as a classic machine in years to come. They were only made for a few years, so are rare now and will only become more so.

Toff

Likes Dirt
Another bike to consider, is the Yamaha RZ350. They might be a bit older, but still a fantastic bike! They share the same engine with the Yamaha Banshee quad bike. Infact my local mechanic is building one with some of my old VJ22A RGV parts and a built engine from the USA. CNC machined head, welded Banshee stroker crank and high comp pistons brings it out to somewhere close to 450cc! I'll grab a photo next time I'm down there.
RGZ350...?

VW NUT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh....... and to VWNUT........ re-read my post mate. I am talking seconds. so..... just to assist you with the maths... there are 60 seconds in a minute.... so if I lap the Island in 105 (ONE HUNDRED AND FIVE) seconds, that is a 1'45" lap........... Hope that helps! :) I can go quicker, but not on a 1995 model 600 supersport bike with treaded tyres. I can get it under the 40 on a super. But, that's not fast.... the fast guys domestically now are running 34's!!!!! Smart bastards!!!! :)
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you. Ill just hide away here and pretend I know whats happening.

I can only put a 2:07 together in my Golf so you are heaps quicker than me!!!

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
For you guys mucking about with smokers. If you havn't already bought one....

Did not know they made a reverse cylinder TZR250! I thought it was only the '80s YSR500 GP bikes that had the reverse cylinders? Me thinks some research is in order, sounds epic.

As far as engine parts for the NSR go, Wiseco make top end kits still and you can still buy cosmetic stuff from Japan. I think I know of one in bits as well. Also, Tyga Performance make a shitload of stuff and have NOS Honda parts in stock: http://tyga-performance.com/site/ad...age=2&osCsid=2d63dddbc7a04921166674fd1a322fe6

They make probably the best looking aftermarket triple clamps in the world, just amazing! They used to make aftermarket chambers and carbon mufflers for NSR's as well.

As far as RGV's go, very good bike but still pretty common. I say go the NSR if you don't mind working on it ;)

rone

Eats Squid
I had a Yamaha poster of this on my wall as a spotty yoof back in '91:

yam tzr250 95 1.jpg

Still looks awesome today.

strika

Likes Bikes
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh thank you. Ill just hide away here and pretend I know whats happening.

I can only put a 2:07 together in my Golf so you are heaps quicker than me!!!
That's just power to weight ratios. A well set up car will actually corner much faster than a bike. It's getting into and out or the turns where the bikes have an advantage. On a dry circuit, bikes will brake later and stop quicker as well as accelerating quicker off the corners.

TLD06, the reverse cylinder was not far off 91. They look horn with the pipes exiting from underneath the rider to the ducktail. Still look good today. If I can find a pic somwhere, I'll post it up.

As for an NSR, they are like bums. Everyone has one!

Last edited:

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had a Yamaha poster of this on my wall...
*set as... wallpaper*

Wow. still looks modern for a 20 year old bike.

That's just power...

TLD06, the reverse cylinder was not far off 91. They look horn with the pipes exiting from underneath the rider to the ducktail. Still look good today. If I can find a pic somwhere, I'll post it up.

As for an NSR, they are like bums. Everyone has one!

Admittedly, I haven't been to a track day for about 5 or 6 years, so I'm not really in a place to comment on how common NSR's are, but you rarely see them out and about, let alone for sale!

They sound like a work of art! And would probably cost a premium ;)

binner

Hath shat hymself
moving along

had some good progress the last few weeks, should have it on the road for xmas cruising........

Attachments

top_dog

Likes Dirt
Nice 370Z! I've not driven one, however I sat in one at the dealers and found the cabin really claustrophobic. Interested to see how you find it out on the road.

binner

Hath shat hymself
smashing

You're doing such an amazing job, Binner. I'm very impressed, keep the updates coming.
cheers bloke, it's coming along well now but I'm running out of the coin so some things are being benched for now......

got my seats today and sorted out the headlights/indicators wiring today.....

Attachments