Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

udi

swiss cheese
Looking sweet binner!

Hey TLD06 - any pics of your CRX?
Those things are pretty cool, saw an ultra clean red one here the other day which was rare.

Sam.

Eats Squid
So I had a few offcuts of led strip from a few odd jobs i've done and I've come up with this... hella euro:
381182_10150450757149548_567619547_8377517_1945899410_n.jpg

Question is is it too much and super wanky? Basically I want it to light the handles up when the car unlocks and the interior light comes on, but I need access to a wiring diagram so I don't have to run the wiring all the way to the roof. Any ideas where I can access those on the net?

binner

Hath shat hymself
ahh air cooled

still waiting on my heads from the states so I've done as much as possible on the block.....

ute is pretty much ready to receive the engine, just waiting waiting...

Attachments

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking sweet binner!

Hey TLD06 - any pics of your CRX...
Unfortunately I bought the ugly duckling when I had my CRX. It was apparently an ex-show car with a horrid bodykit and more electrical problems than my old man's Alfa GTV. I got a bunch of fines while driving it, so it was sold around 12 months ago to consolidate finances.

As far as performance goes, it was very very quick through the twisties. Mine had the D16ZC (the pick of the non-vtec DOHC Honda engines) and apparently an afternarket 5 speed close ratio box with LSD, although I never checked that.

If you're keen on one, try to get a JDM import one (4 seater instead of 2, 2+2) and the ZC engine, not the horrible D15B twin carb SOHC POS.

Hey tld_06 I think you should post up a picture...
I'm working on it buddy, the bike is at the back of the storage lot and there's probably 15-20 bikes in front of it!

So yeah, purchased a 1984 Nissan S12 Gazelle yesterday, in two-tone blue over blue, with a blue interior! The car has over $3000 in receipts for work that was done on it over the last 3 years. The car was marketed as a IRS model, but unfortunately on arrival it was a live axle model. No big deal, but annoying at the same time. And on the way home, oil pressure gauge dropped to zero and the "ticking" from the blown manifold gasket became pretty much unbearable. Saying that, it made the 300km journey home, although it has 150km to go!

The engine is that slow, that we're probably going to bite the bullet and just throw a CA18DE in it for funsies (which is legal and easy to do, apparently). It's not going to be a daily car, just one for the weekend. Will throw up photos soon.

floody

Wheel size expert
13x8 and 13x9.5 with 175/60R13s. Had to use tubes in the rears.

Needs flare, its a little mexican.

Fronts will get 25mm bolt on spacers when I build the coilovers.

Exie

Likes Dirt
So yeah, purchased a 1984 Nissan S12 Gazelle yesterday, in two-tone blue over blue, with a blue interior! The car has over $3000 in receipts for work that was done on it over the last 3 years. The car was marketed as a IRS model, but unfortunately on arrival it was a live axle model. No big deal, but annoying at the same time. And on the way home, oil pressure gauge dropped to zero and the "ticking" from the blown manifold gasket became pretty much unbearable. Saying that, it made the 300km journey home, although it has 150km to go!

The engine is that slow, that we're probably going to bite the bullet and just throw a CA18DE in it for funsies (which is legal and easy to do, apparently). It's not going to be a daily car, just one for the weekend. Will throw up photos soon.
Yuk! I had an 88 Exa with one of those CA18DE's in it. I spent buckets on it, damn over complicated engine with the CAS and power transistor, coil packs, timing belt etc.

I rebuilt 2 of them before I ended up swapping it out for a CA18DET which wasn't much better, finally swapped it out for an SR20DET and that was perfect!

To this day, I dont see anything funny about the CA engines! :)

tld_06

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yuk! I had an 88 Exa with one of those CA18DE's in it... :)
Yep, with CA18DE's bringing $250 and SR20's bringing $1500 and a whole lot of fucking around (wiring, gearbox, tailshaft, engine mounts, turbo manifold, ECU, the list goes on), there isn't much sense going down that path. I'm not going to blow $3000 putting an engine, which I don't rate very highly in the first place, in a 30 year old car. After putting that much of a power increase, everything else will need upgrading. CA18 will be cheap, a bit of a power increase and a whole lot easier than throwing ridiculous amounts of time effort and money into an SR20.

The only changes when going from CA20 to CA18 is starter motor and a tiny part of the loom. And worst case scenario, when it blows, just throw another CA18 in it from one of the 20million P-plater S13's again.

floody

Wheel size expert
45psi, haha. 6.8" wide tyre, 9.5" wide rim...yeah its a bit of a stretch.

Skids are the plan. Still a while off. I reckon I'll get 10-20mm of flare if I do it right, they'll tuck up nicely but still poke a little.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
Question is is it too much and super wanky? Basically I want it to light the handles up when the car unlocks and the interior light comes on, but I need access to a wiring diagram so I don't have to run the wiring all the way to the roof. Any ideas where I can access those on the net?
Google your cars model and locate the appropriate workshop manual (they contain the wiring diagrams). That looks like a Liberty door to me, if so, hop on liberty.asn, it should be listed there.

Edit: Yes, wank factor is strong.

stp0 rider

Likes Bikes
on the topic of Libertys,
found an 03 2.5 wagon with 200k for 6grand
service records say clutch was done last year, but timing belt has not been done yet.
What's the service interval for timing belt and roughly how much?
cheers

udi

swiss cheese
Unfortunately I bought the ugly duckling when I had my CRX. It was apparently an ex-show car with a horrid bodykit and more electrical problems than my old man's Alfa GTV. I got a bunch of fines while driving it, so it was sold around 12 months ago to consolidate finances.
I thought you might have had a rare clean one, seems like the one I saw was almost one of a kind. It's a shame they all ended up molested like that. I probably wouldn't bother with one for that reason.

I can imagine they'd handle awesome though like you said, ~890kg and wishbones all round... throw an lsd in the mix and it'd be a recipe for good times! A guy I know put a K20A in one... crazy.

Sam.

Eats Squid
Google your cars model and locate the appropriate workshop manual (they contain the wiring diagrams). That looks like a Liberty door to me, if so, hop on liberty.asn, it should be listed there.

Edit: Yes, wank factor is strong.
I just tapped into the wire running up my A pillar. It works pretty well and makes the door handles easy to see in the pitch black. I can't see myself keeping it there for long, although leds are fun, the wank factor is too much.