Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

binner

Hath shat hymself
sold up big time

well,i sold the zombi Kombi and am now looking for my new project... poptop camper yeeeeeeeeeeeehaw

goodbye my good friend........

Attachments

Last edited:

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I work at a car dealership and somebody traded a 2005 Ford Falcon XR6 turbo ute. The dealer principle asked if anyone wanted it so I asked how much. $4500 he says.
"Yep I'll take it" I said and gave my brother a ring who was chasing such a beast.
It's pretty rough by my standards but has had some serious money thrown at it with modifications.
The good bits;
6 speed manual.
Full Nizpro Cobra kit with huge plenum and cooler.
Front and rear Brembo brakes
Hard lid
19 inch ROH wheels
Alarm
Upgraded fuel pump
Big exhaust including 4 inch dump pipe from the turbo.
It has a hidden/built in radar detector.
The body is pretty straight.

Some of the shabby bits;
The tailshaft center bearing is stuffed.
The brakes need machining as I it has brake shudder.
The hood lining is falling down.
The battery was dead.
One of the front wheels was bent and wouldn't hold air.
Alarms are always trouble.
It leaks oil from the turbo somewhere.
One of the intake pipes was blown off so it made zero boost.
The paint on the Brembos is all chalky and faded.

So I have the job of getting it up and running and getting it fit for the road. I fitted a new battery to the custom made tray which is located under the tray. It fired up and ran ok but made no boost because of blown off inlet hose. So we got it home and I gave it a service with new oil and filter, coolant and brake and clutch fluid. I also checked the diff and gearbox oils which looked ok. After fitting a new joiner to the intake pipe I could take it for a spin.
Woooosssssh pppppsssssshhhhh!!!!!
HOLY CRAP it's got some Mumbo. It's running around 15 or 16 PSI and gives quite a push in the back.
I've now got the tailshaft out and in pieces. It's getting a new center bearing and now cv joints as I found cracks in the carrier.
I've still got a fair bit to do to get it into shape. But my brother wrapt and has picked up a performance bargain.

So I've been getting things in order. The tailshaft is all back together and has 2 new cv joints and a new center bearing.

The bent wheel has been repaired and two new Sumitomo 245/35-19 tyres are going on the front tomorrow.
New front hub went on today.

I also had the front 355mm discs machined as the brake shudder was real bad.

Over the weekend I pulled the front bar off and pulled the headlights out so I could remove the hid lights and their ballast units. I also pulled out what was left of the hidden built in radar detector. The main unit was missing so it was never going to work anyway.

It also gave me the chance to check out the Nizpro cooler.

From what I can tell the car has Nizpro's Cobra 2+ kit on it and should be good for around 445-463kw at the engine.
And after sorting the tailshaft out and going for a quick spin it certainly makes strong power and needs the big Brembo brakes.
So far I have;
Fixed the door lock $13
Replaced the rhf hub $67
Machined the front discs $30
2 front tyres $576
Rebuilt the tailshaft $906
2 H7 globes $50
2 globe holders that were missing $35
Oil $50
Tail lights $200
Interior light globe $2

Still need to get a new 100mm pod filter as the bcm one is falling to bits. The car should be on the road on Friday. One thing that is bothering me is current draw. It has a new 630cca battery and it goes flat in about 3 days if not charged. I'd really like to remove all the aftermarket crap in it and return it to stock electrics just for the sake of reliability. It has some kind of touch screen computer hooked up to the stereo and a pretty fancy alarm with wires running everywhere.

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Picking up more beetle gear today. Anyone wanna buy my 71 super? Turns out there's a lot of rust, not much needed for rego sake but for a full job it'd cost more than getting mine on the road. It's gotta go.

Picking up luggage carpet, vent post, random interior bits, full wiring harness and the real jewel are the euro bumpers in especially shit condition. I'll edit with some pics, they're perfect for the car. Finally found a sand paper grit that removes the shitty house paint top layer to reveal the original paint without going to deep into it. Turns out the bonnet is dark blue so on the hunt for a ruby red bonnet now but it'll do for rego.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Been 8 months in the build, put rego on this yesterday and took it for a run to bed in the rings and loosen her up a bit.

Still can't wipe the smiles odd my face

stirk

Burner

Been 8 months in the build, put rego on this yesterday and took it for a run to bed in the rings and loosen her up a bit.

Still can't wipe the smiles odd my face
A legend lives on! My 2L has 417k on it now, time for a freshen up soon too.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A legend lives on! My 2L has 417k on it now, time for a freshen up soon too.
For sure man! It doesn't look like much but it's fully original and now with a brand new motor. She'll go for another 20 years haha!

Assuming I don't sell it anytime soon it'll be getting some quality modifications over the next few months. For now I'm just loving driving it

Shredden

Knows his goats
Going to have a look at this tonight.

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/launching-place/cars-vans-utes/nissan-patrol-gq/1109909857

Thoughts? If it's rust free(ish) I'm thinking it could be a good deal, especially as I'm keen to keep it as cheap as possible (it will probably end up underwater or rolled :eek:hwell: )

I know theres fuck all info but what do you guys reakon, roadworthy for under $4k if I do all the work myself and shop around for cheap parts?

Looking forward to the commute down Chapel Street and Kings Way 2x a week heheh

andrew9

Likes Dirt

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/launching-place/cars-vans-utes/nissan-patrol-gq/1109909857

Thoughts? If it's rust free(ish) I'm thinking it could be a good deal, especially as I'm keen to keep it as cheap as possible (it will probably end up underwater or rolled :eek:hwell: )

I know theres fuck all info but what do you guys reakon, roadworthy for under $4k if I do all the work myself and shop around for cheap parts?

I'd go for an older, real classic 4x4, or something newer. Those patrols are not that much better than the earlier generation of 4x4's, now that they are all pretty much rooted, but without the style, and therefore resale. I'd save my spanner work for a more worthy vehicle. That patrol would be time and money down the drain.....

Either get an fj45, old Landrover, or similar. Alternatively something from 10-15 years ago from an unpopular model, some models are cheap almost purely because they aren't a cruiser or patrol

I just had another look at that patrol
"Had new gearbox at 291. Speedo stopped at 291759 an has prob done about 1000km since then"
Good one! why not say 100km ago, it's just as believable

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner

He's been done for a machinery and it has a dent in every panel. I think you will find something way better for around the 4 grand mark that needs less work done.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily

So, did you buy it?

Shredden

Knows his goats
So, did you buy it?
Nope. It was pretty much what the ad said but yeah, pretty rough. Had a big oil leak which was apparently from the "harmonic balancer seal" (not mentioned in the ad), which I'm not sure how hard it is to fix?? I've asked a mate who is a mechanic. He did have receipts for a gearbox replacement recently which is why he said the odo isn't working - could be true? He said he had quote to get it to RWC for $1500 - again, not sure how true it is as he didn't have it in writing.

Didn't seem like too much of a sketchy dude either, at least not compared to the guy with a 60 series in Airport West I looked at a while back who had a pregnant gf smoking cigs on the front porch and "fuck" tattooed on his knuckles. Also looked like he was gonna hit me when he asked where I live and I said South Yarra hahahah.

What you guys reakon - offer him $1500?

Last edited:

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Nope. It was pretty much what the ad said but yeah, pretty rough. Had a big oil leak which was apparently from the "harmonic balancer seal" (not mentioned in the ad), which I'm not sure how hard it is to fix?? I've asked a mate who is a mechanic. He did have receipts for a gearbox replacement recently which is why he said the odo isn't working - could be true? He said he had quote to get it to RWC for $1500 - again, not sure how true it is as he didn't have it in writing.

Didn't seem like too much of a sketchy dude either, at least not compared to the guy with a 60 series in Airport West I looked at a while back who had a pregnant gf smoking cigs on the front porch and "fuck" tattooed on his knuckles. Also looked like he was gonna hit me when he asked where I live and I said South Yarra hahahah.

What you guys reakon - offer him $1500?
I would try to be more polite, but can't be bothered:

With the current price of steel, I wouldn't collect it if it was free.

That thing is a time vortex, do not get sucked in.