Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Yeah my son has put me onto this guy and have enjoyed his reviews (but then I grew tired of Top Gear Clarkson ego nonsense quite early on).

Mates wife has the previous Clio RS and it is a hoot, and fun even at (close to) speed limit. Ride is remarkably civilised for the handling performance on tap.

Lease is almost up and she is about to replace it with this current version so looking forward to a drive.

Another mate has current Clio GT and loves it.

All up has really changed my view of Renaults.
My daily driver is the previous Clio RS and I agree it is an absolute ball to drive - ridiculous fun. 150,000km's on the clock it isn't as reliable as a Corolla but better than a Golf.

redbruce

Eats Squid
The best car I ever owned...

Still kick myself for not keeping her.
One of my all time favorites (early Alfetta's also).

I'd offer to kick you but, pot calling kettle black (ie I'm also guilty).

And to rub salt into our wounds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9LdyVWY6yw

Having said that, quite like juniors E46 325 M tech sport.

Now we have fitted an M3 lower arm bush up front, M5 wheels and now a more promising piece of kit, just needs some push (a father/son 3.2L, or supercharge the 2.5L and suspension upgrade build on cards).

Last edited:

Shredden

Knows his goats
Hey guys,

I have a CT110, bought it not running (had been sitting for 3 years) and replaced the clutch plates, brake cable and air filter. Also had to clean out the carby as it had a fair bit of shit in it.

It still wasn't running, so I put some fuel in the spark plug hole and it spluttered into life a bit then died. So I pulled apart the carby again and removed the two jets above the bowl - I was able to clean one with a little piece of wire, but the other one seems quite stubbornly clogged? Even poking it with a small needle doesnt seem to dislodge anything. Unless it isnt even meant to have a hole the whole way through? Anyway, I put them back in as is, the bike starts fine but seems to struggle once running - in 3rd around 50kmh it splutters and sorta jerks quite a lot. Any ideas? I know thats a pretty shit description haha.

Thanks!

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Can only assume if it struggles more under load then maybe that hole does exist and shouldn't be clogged. Will ask a mate who just rebuilt his carby on one.

I got hazards working, just the holes are so big I needed a bloody great big washer behind the toggle. Thinking about maybe painting it Ivory or cream to match the rest. Illuminated fog lamp toggle works nice also. Got a bunch of little parts on the way which should tie things together nicely I in the interior.

Edit: just got the horn going. Not too sure whether the neighbours were yelling in joy or anger at testing the horn at night but I'd say the first

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
9pm last night, out having some fun in the Falcon, enjoying the 440cc injectors, big fuel pump, and extra power that's magically appeared. It chopped a BA XR6 without much difficulty, had some fun with some other stuff too. This thing is mental fun!!

And then, of course, the nitro01 curse bites me and it bogs, coughs and dies on a busy road, idling at some traffic lights. Hooray!

Cranking to no avail, torn hamstring me pushes it to the side of the road, frustrated as all hell. Key off key on, no fuel pump buzz. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Left it for a while and tried to crank it again. Spits once or twice and then no more, just a battery and a starter. Not even trying to fire. BUMMER!

So now I'm up for another fuel pump. 3rd one in 2 days is dead, might go a Walbro 255lph and a tank flush as that's what a lot of the boosted E series guys run.

Absolutely gutted again, it was running hard as hell and then nope. That's cars I guess. :tsk:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
That's some shit luck there. No idea, but there's not something that could cause a fuel pump to go is there? Seems too unlucky, or like you said, that's just how cars are.

Today wasn't fun either, then a silver lining! And now it's buggered again...

Horn ain't working, I thought it was, turns out I plugged in the wrong wire at night so that's why it wasn't staying on... Went to rebuild it today, clean up a bit and the threads were stripped! At $600+ for a new one, yeah fuck that. $30 and some patience later I pulled this out, pretty chuffed with it. So horn wring works, tested for continuity, it's the wiring in the car that's not going, still have some pics.

EDIT: VW nerds help me out here, losing hair over this one.

Power to horn from fuse box --> Horn --> Ground wire to bottom of column --> Up up up to ??? steering thingy --> Horn ring connection --> Ground wire that goes back through steering column --> Final ground point. Had a play, nothiinnnn, everytime the horn had power it would go off. Pushed out the column a wee bit and it doesn't sound anymore, so the column must be grounding on the car somewhere? I've wrapped it in felt to test that and it did nothing, so only thing I can think of is the rubber seal/grommet needs replacing and is somehow letting the column ground???

Last edited:

jimma

Squid
The courier man was awesome today , 3 different orders arrived today but this was the best ....Vintage Speed super flo exhaust...ohhhh yeah.....I cracked a beer and just sat and looked at it
Hey just thought I would ask how your vintage speed exhaust is going? Im thinking of putting one on my kombi. Good to see theres a few vw people here.

redbruce

Eats Squid
9pm last night, out having some fun in the Falcon, enjoying the 440cc injectors, big fuel pump, and extra power that's magically appeared. It chopped a BA XR6 without much difficulty, had some fun with some other stuff too. This thing is mental fun!!

And then, of course, the nitro01 curse bites me and it bogs, coughs and dies on a busy road, idling at some traffic lights. Hooray!

So now I'm up for another fuel pump. 3rd one in 2 days is dead, might go a Walbro 255lph and a tank flush as that's what a lot of the boosted E series guys run.

Absolutely gutted again, it was running hard as hell and then nope. That's cars I guess. :tsk:
Don't get excited. School of hard knocks applies.

Standard BA XR6, still has standard engine, so what.

Your issues suggest a message. So, what is it?

EF wagon has cart sprung rear with indifferent damping, so be (really) careful (from experience).

I'd suggest save money, run cheaper pump and put enthusiasm into suspension and brake upgrades.

Might save your life.

Where is your mum or dad in this (hopefully knowledgeable and engaged) ?

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Triple post.
Settle down tiger, triple posting...

Picked up a few bits and pieces. Shifter knob is nice to have, everything slides into gear nice with the new shifter. New light and door jam switches. Light is quite cozy, nice to have light instead of hanging a phone torch from the roof. Works on, off and with doors, very happy.

Steering column came out, found rust, could have been causing the ground short. Replaced grommet between column and body. Electrical tape for now, painting it would ruin the patina and the tape should sort it out. Sort, not short. Ahhhhhhh puns. It's only 6.30, time to start testing the horn circuit...

Sorry for the mass posts and photos, gives me somewhere to keep em on order and remember everything for a full build thread on the samba eventually.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Don't get excited. School of hard knocks applies.

Standard BA XR6, still has standard engine, so what.

Your issues suggest a message. So, what is it?

EF wagon has cart sprung rear with indifferent damping, so be (really) careful (from experience).

I'd suggest save money, run cheaper pump and put enthusiasm into suspension and brake upgrades.

Might save your life.

Where is your mum or dad in this (hopefully knowledgeable and engaged) ?
Well, the first reason why it got upgrades is because it blew up. Did an engine swap in the driveway.

It's got brand new pads on all corners, fresh brake fluid and machined rotors. Fixed the fading problem.

As for suspension, it's got Pedders coilovers in the front which are excellent, as well as a 32mm swaybar. Reset leaves and Monroe GT shocks soon to come for the back. 17x8 Advanti wheels with newish 235/45/17 rubber, sticks well and dead hooks usually. Needs a decent fuel pump because of the injector size. (440cc)

The BA XR6, they are 185kw with short gears. Have you ever been in an EL with an auto? Think 4th gear in a manual, that's how tall first gear is. 3.08 open, saving coin for a 3.45LSD. So from a 10km roll, I think I did quite well for myself. Let's not mention the late model SV6 wagon and SR20 S15 it's put under it's belt too.

It corners flat and it goes hard, it's set up well for low buck and it hauls ass for an old 12 valve straight six.

I love the thing and for an honest, quickish P plate legal car, the mighty EL is mental fun. :roll::peace:

Last edited:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Well, the first reason why it got upgrades is because it blew up. Did an engine swap in the driveway.

It's got brand new pads on all corners, fresh brake fluid and machined rotors. Fixed the fading problem.

As for suspension, it's got Pedders coilovers in the front which are excellent, as well as a 32mm swaybar. Reset leafs and Monroe GT shocks soon to come for the back. 17x8 Advanti wheels with newish 235/45/17 rubber, sticks good and dead hooks usually. Needs a decent fuel pump because of the injector size. (440cc)

The BA XR6, they are 185kw with short gears. Have you ever been in an EL with an auto? Think 4th gear in a manual, that's how tall first gear is. 3.08 open, saving coin for a 3.45LSD. So from a 10km roll, I think I did quite well for myself. Let's not mention the late model SV6 wagon and SR20 S15 it's put under it's belt too.

It corners flat and it goes hard, it's set up well for low buck and it hauls ass for an old 12 valve straight six.

I love the thing and for an honest, quickish P plate legal car, the mighty EL is mental fun. :roll::peace:
Sticks well.

Leaves.

Grammar and spelling lesson is complete. Also, let your parents know when you're out trying to kill yourself in a dynamically compromised vehicle... Or alternatively, take it to the track and let the rest of us have an improved chance of getting home alive without some street racing hoon taking us out...

stirk

Burner

As for suspension, it's got Pedders coilovers in the front which are excellent, as well as a 32mm swaybar. Reset leafs and Monroe GT shocks soon to come for the back. 17x8 Advanti wheels with newish 235/45/17 rubber, sticks good and dead hooks usually. Needs a decent fuel pump because of the injector size. (440cc)

I hope the SV6 wagon and SR20 S15 your car has 'put under its belt' was on the track.

If you're street racing then I hope you kill yourself before anyone else.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Sticks well.

Leaves.

Grammar and spelling lesson is complete. Also, let your parents know when you're out trying to kill yourself in a dynamically compromised vehicle... Or alternatively, take it to the track and let the rest of us have an improved chance of getting home alive without some street racing hoon taking us out...
Edited for your benefit good sir. Also heading to the track once I sort the fuel pump! :sad:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Thanks stirk.
Well he's got a point, can only have limited sympathy. Time and place for driving fast, I've been flamed on here for that plenty but racing folk is always silly. Ali G got it right for street racing. I thought I was shit hot when I got my license, once you lose control of a car it hits hard, you got no idea what to do. Good story I like for this is getting to hospital to see my brother with his faced split open, pissing blood everywhere, bruised to shit and barely able to construct a sentence, his passenger was surgery immediately after slicing out every tendon in his right hand. They weren't in the wrong, some other arsehole turned across him and he whammo. Find yourself a nice twisty road where you can see where the traffic is/will be then yeah let loose a bit. Racing is just silly. The only thing you should be putting under your belt is someone elses hand in the boot of the mighty falcon. That's when you learn about the real dangers of finishing first in the back of a car.

Anyway, one of those most inspirational pieces of wisdom I've ever heard is "If it's a bad idea, you probably shouldn't do it.".

In other news, fuck the beetle, fuck the horn and fuck the steering column. Also fuck the steering shaft, coupler and steering box. They're all being real dicks today.

EDIT: Ahhhhhhh fuuaaarkkk, I was doing it right the whole time and I just took it all apart and I just need a cuddle and a beer and maybe some tv.

EEDDIITT: Using this as diary for tomorrows effort. You were wrong, column and steering shaft hot, converted to '62-'67 style, cut the coupler ground strap, clean everything off. Shaft and steering box should not be directly connected, should be perpendicular to each other. Order new coupler rubber. Multimeter will read hot on both shaft and column, this is fine, no it's not that either. Shouldn't have anywhere to ground. Wire from ring down shaft, replace (could be torn) and then attach to steering box side. See: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463396

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Well he's got a point, can only have limited sympathy. Time and place for driving fast, I've been flamed on here for that plenty but racing folk is always silly. Ali G got it right for street racing. I thought I was shit hot when I got my license, once you lose control of a car it hits hard, you got no idea what to do. Good story I like for this is getting to hospital to see my brother with his faced split open, pissing blood everywhere, bruised to shit and barely able to construct a sentence, his passenger was surgery immediately after slicing out every tendon in his right hand. They weren't in the wrong, some other arsehole turned across him and he whammo. Find yourself a nice twisty road where you can see where the traffic is/will be then yeah let loose a bit. Racing is just silly. The only thing you should be putting under your belt is someone elses hand in the boot of the mighty falcon. That's when you learn about the real dangers of finishing first in the back of a car.

Anyway, one of those most inspirational pieces of wisdom I've ever heard is "If it's a bad idea, you probably shouldn't do it.".

In other news, fuck the beetle, fuck the horn and fuck the steering column. Also fuck the steering shaft, coupler and steering box. They're all being real dicks today.

EDIT: Ahhhhhhh fuuaaarkkk, I was doing it right the whole time and I just took it all apart and I just need a cuddle and a beer and maybe some tv.

EEDDIITT: Using this as diary for tomorrows effort. You were wrong, column and steering shaft hot, converted to '62-'67 style, cut the coupler ground strap, clean everything off. Shaft and steering box should not be directly connected, should be perpendicular to each other. Order new coupler rubber. Multimeter will read hot on both shaft and column, this is fine, no it's not that either. Shouldn't have anywhere to ground. Wire from ring down shaft, replace (could be torn) and then attach to steering box side. See: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wired/wired_12_00/wired_12_00.htm
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=463396
Hazza you make everything better. Point taken :)

As for the VW. Sucks to hear it ripped you for doing it right!!! Bloody cars and their wiring, gah *shakes fist*

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Hazza you make everything better. Point taken :)

As for the VW. Sucks to hear it ripped you for doing it right!!! Bloody cars and their wiring, gah *shakes fist*
You're so sweet, I'm blushing.

Just from experience and as another young dude, man you just can't comprehend the risk until you experience it. When you're 45 degrees up facing the sky in the drivers seat thanking God you actually stopped before rolling, you start to think. Mostly about where the fuck the road dropped away to, and learn the lesson of never pull over onto tall grass or reeds to take a leak, never know what's under it.

God that thing with my bro scares me. Only thing that saved them from more damage was the horizontally mounted spare wheel in the front (our first Volkswagen, Roxanne. Pics somewhere), it was crushed in but you know strong those things are with an inflated tire too. Mine is vertical, if I'm in a crash in that thing, don't bother asking about me. Man I got plenty of scary driving stories. One time I got chased by some blokes in an rx8, obviously faster than the fox with my two obese mates in it. Was funny at first, then I realised they really were trying to force me off the road, leaning out their window trying to grab the steering wheel, scary times. Can't outrun a rotary, buy no rx8 can drive over a gutter and through a footy oval onto a main Rd. Number plate was DRIFT, too. Spinning out on a windy downhill road (old Bathurst road for anyone that used to ride there). Told work I was over tired and shouldn't be driving, I got forced to, couldn't afford to lose job, had been working a different job from 6am to 5pm, then this job 5.30 till 11. Didn't brake, suddenly grabbed to much steering and spun, called work and went home straight after. Lucky nobody was there.

None of that is racing related, but yeah cars are fucking deadly.

And yeah, wiring. I hate it. With a passion. Just put down a ~ $400 order for parts tonight, spent $150 today and $200 on a battery a few days ago. Plus all the stuff from supercheap, fuck it's been an expensive car week. But from all that money, all I've got to show so far is a working interior light...