Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

nitro01

Likes Dirt
Well, can't you just drive a little dangerously up the road and hit the house mates golf? You'd only need to do it once...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Corolla.

He makes me look like a grandma :spit:

Off topic slightly. I'm out of things to fix and I have a torn hamstring. Help a dude stay sane??

nitro01

Likes Dirt
You're so sweet, I'm blushing.

Just from experience and as another young dude, man you just can't comprehend the risk until you experience it. When you're 45 degrees up facing the sky in the drivers seat thanking God you actually stopped before rolling, you start to think. Mostly about where the fuck the road dropped away to, and learn the lesson of never pull over onto tall grass or reeds to take a leak, never know what's under it.

God that thing with my bro scares me. Only thing that saved them from more damage was the horizontally mounted spare wheel in the front (our first Volkswagen, Roxanne. Pics somewhere), it was crushed in but you know strong those things are with an inflated tire too. Mine is vertical, if I'm in a crash in that thing, don't bother asking about me. Man I got plenty of scary driving stories. One time I got chased by some blokes in an rx8, obviously faster than the fox with my two obese mates in it. Was funny at first, then I realised they really were trying to force me off the road, leaning out their window trying to grab the steering wheel, scary times. Can't outrun a rotary, buy no rx8 can drive over a gutter and through a footy oval onto a main Rd. Number plate was DRIFT, too. Spinning out on a windy downhill road (old Bathurst road for anyone that used to ride there). Told work I was over tired and shouldn't be driving, I got forced to, couldn't afford to lose job, had been working a different job from 6am to 5pm, then this job 5.30 till 11. Didn't brake, suddenly grabbed to much steering and spun, called work and went home straight after. Lucky nobody was there.

None of that is racing related, but yeah cars are fucking deadly.

And yeah, wiring. I hate it. With a passion. Just put down a ~ $400 order for parts tonight, spent $150 today and $200 on a battery a few days ago. Plus all the stuff from supercheap, fuck it's been an expensive car week. But from all that money, all I've got to show so far is a working interior light...
Point definitely taken.

As a little dude back home in NZ, a FPV was in the family, turbocharged 270kw, big brake, handling rocketship, and we were cruising somewhere on a roadtrip, full car. All I remember is the tail end of the Typhoon stepped out of it's own accord on a corner and we were facing the other way. Gravel on corners on dodgy NZ mountain roads. Could have been a whole lot worse, thankfully the Typhoon's massive ass brakes and very responsive steering and a man with know how behind the wheel saved 4 people and an expensive car going off the edge. Scary shit, but when you're little, it just gives you a fright and then you keep going.

Minlak

custom titis
Don't do stupid things on the road!! And to prove my point here are all the cool stories from my misspent youth... I assume you are suitably convinced and will fly straight now.... :twitch:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
Don't do stupid things on the road!! And to prove my point here are all the cool stories from my misspent youth... I assume you are suitably convinced and will fly straight now.... :twitch:
Someone tries to help out by sharing his experiences. Must be trying to impress, shut him down! Wait I just reread my post, where was I trying to be cool? Was it the sick drift I pulled when I was spinning out or the killer scar on my brothers face?

Anyway, it's pissing down with rain now and isn't getting any better so just gunna brave the wet and get working on this car.

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
And people probably told you the same thing but did you listen and the life cycle repeats itself. I would say with the attitude he has, he will lose his licence or get his car impounded before long. There is a big crackdown on this sort of shit in Brisbane and the Gold Coast these days. All I can say is don't race in built up areas near houses and people, find yourself some open roads and don't have other people in the car with you when you do it. I can't tell you not to do it because I done the same thing as a kid, cars were a bit slower and population build up was a lot less but nevertheless not a great idea but I am still alive, never killed anyone and only crashed one car in my teens.

Last edited:

Hew

Likes Dirt
Spent 7 hours under the civic yesterday trying to change the steering rack. Ball joints came out ok, noted the position of the adjustment, removed the bitch pin, dropped the shifter linkages, dropped the exhaust, pulled the carpet and removed the bolts holding the rack into the steering column, removed the bolts holding the rack to the subframe, removed the bolts holding the PS lines into the rack itself, pulled on it - nothing. Pulled on it for 20 minutes. Nothing.

Turns out I forgot one of the PS line bolts. Which is now circular after me spending a FUCKING HOUR TRYING TO GET IT OFF.

So clever me goes ahead and realises that the power steering mechanism is essentially bolted into the rack - I could just swap them. Yeah it turns out its full of spring loaded little do-dads that violently shoot across the room when removed. So I fucked up my replacement rack trying to take it apart.

Then I think - well I'll just take the tie rod ends off the new rack and put them on the car and hope it fixes the problem. Tie rods come off fine but when it comes to bolting them in through the ball joint - the thread on one side is fucked so the bolt goes up halfway then locks into the thread and the whole thread mechanism just spins inside the hole indefinitely.

So in the end, after 7 hours, I changed one tie rod, and ensured that the old broken rack won't come out of the car unless a mechanic does it.

Furious.

Last edited:

hazza6542

Eats Squid
You need a beer. That sounds shit, easy enough to fix now you know the process and how it all work?

Well, that was a fun ride but the horn is in, finally. Thought I had it figured out earlier, then it turns out at some point I'd killed the new horn somehow and just had to go out an buy a new one, but it's in, it works, my weekend wasn't a total waste of time. Already soaked, time to keep on with wiring. Grabbed the old loom, split it open, ripped all the wires out, because they've been preserved in that heat skrink stuff for the last 50 years all the coloured tracers at mint. So cutting, soldering and rewiring everything I had to make myself with proper colour coded wires now. Joy.

Hew

Likes Dirt
You need a beer. That sounds shit, easy enough to fix now you know the process and how it all work?
Yes and no. I don't ever want to do it again, haha! Sometimes working on cars is fun and exciting but I don't really enjoy being under the civic all that much - mainly due to how bloody low it is. I have barely enough room to move under there. And there's so much oil and grime. :sad:

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Edited for your benefit good sir. Also heading to the track once I sort the fuel pump! :sad:
Good work :)

I was young once too, and managed to survive it. Like others here, a few stories of dumb shit that luckily didn't kill me. Cars are batshit insane scary deadly, and in some crashes you're actually lucky if you die quickly.

Public roads - slow and steady, its not just you you have to account for.

Also, Falcon wagon rear suspension (even upgraded) will bite you on the arse very very hard if you let it get away from you... This I also know from experience - BA wagons I used to do big miles in for work, covering 1000kms a week through country Victoria - there were a few instances of getting complacent at speed and having the reality of a lot of unsprung weight and marginal damping rammed home :shocked:

hazza6542

Eats Squid

I was young once too, and managed to survive it.
I almost had a nasty one about an hour ago. I know my tires aren't good in the rain (ton of tread, great in dry, great on dirt, shocking in the wet - Maxxis bravo) let alone this Sydney rain we've got now, going round a bend 20km/h under, needed a bit more grunt and the auto box kicked down and all 4 start spinning. Easy enough to correct but still makes your heart stop for a second.

Indicators and hazards are wired in proper with correct colour codes and soldered and heat shrieked in place nicely. Enough for today, working on wiring with a torch in your mouth under a tarp over the whole car isn't fun, and a leaky tarp makes it even less fun.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Good tyres have saved my arse a few times over the years, its one thing I never skimp on!!!

Am running Conti Premium Contact 2 on the Clio, these things seem to hang on even better when its wet!!

Hew

Likes Dirt
Good tyres have saved my arse a few times over the years, its one thing I never skimp on!!!
Totally agree. Like others had a few close calls. Wrote my old falcon off over a creek into the embankment on the other side! Slowed down a lot since then.

Currently have Bridgestone Potenza RE003's on the civic. Great tyre.

Figure I might as well post a few photos of the civic.

Basic mods;
- Headers
- Pee shooter straight pipe (not too loud around town but when you open up those 26 year old carbs it screams, even if it doesn't make a lot of forward progress :laugh:)
- Coilovers
- Work Equip 01s - 15x6.5. Bit more dish on the rear. I like the staggered look.
- Big brakes from EF8 JDM civic.

Drives like a go kart. Slow as shit on the straights but can follow most through the corners without too much difficulty.

:)

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Totally agree. Like others had a few close calls. Wrote my old falcon off over a creek into the embankment on the other side! Slowed down a lot since then.

Basic mods;
- Headers
- Pee shooter straight pipe (not too loud around town but when you open up those 26 year old carbs it screams, even if it doesn't make a lot of forward progress :laugh:)
- Coilovers
- Work Equip 01s - 15x6.5. Bit more dish on the rear. I like the staggered look.

Drives like a go kart. Slow as shit on the straights but can follow most through the corners without too much difficulty.

Nice vintage. I think a minion is stalking you!

redbruce

Eats Squid

I was young once too, and managed to survive it. Like others here, a few stories of dumb shit that luckily didn't kill me.

Also, Falcon wagon rear suspension (even upgraded) will bite you on the arse very very hard if you let it get away from you... This I also know from experience - BA wagons I used to do big miles in for work, covering 1000kms a week through country Victoria - there were a few instances of getting complacent at speed and having the reality of a lot of unsprung weight and marginal damping rammed home :shocked:
Yep, and lots of Km's on a work EL wagon, also in country Vic. here.

Torque, poor chassis dynamics, long wheelbase (that unfortunately can instill misplaced confidence until it lets go) hopefully not also coupled with an LSD.

Nitros does look good though.

Absolutely agree with tyre choice and like your ride.

While antithesis of the afore mentioned Falcon, still trouble if treated with contempt.

Please play and stay safe lads.

Last edited:

Delazy

Got a new bike!
agree with the comment about potenza re003...ive currently got them on my wrx wagon...love them!

previously had re001 on my ke70 which too was very quick and quite grippy in the corners...

Delazy

Got a new bike!

my project...very very long term project lol

toyota ae86 with 20v 7age, 6 speed gearbox, roll cage, watts linkage, equal length trailing arms and pretty much everything else...

pretty full on build and not even remotely near completion but maybe one day...

Last edited:

nitro01

Likes Dirt

I was young once too, and managed to survive it. Like others here, a few stories of dumb shit that luckily didn't kill me. Cars are batshit insane scary deadly, and in some crashes you're actually lucky if you die quickly.

Public roads - slow and steady, its not just you you have to account for.

Ways to improve leaf sprung rear end apart from resets and good dampers? All my experience so far with making cars handle is coil sprung solid or IRS designs.

Haylex

Likes Dirt
Rad ED man! Awesome little cars once you chuck decent suspension and tyres on and the equips area a nice match. Glad to see some nice wheels in a world of replica bullshit. P plater Honda owners are notorious for this :/

That's a DA lip yea?