Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Very nice, that sure must go like crazy.... Now the eternal torment of having power in tap but also having to keep your licence :)

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Plow King

Little bit.
No videos as such. Maybe once the new injectors are in.

I actually bought a Honda CRV recently so the STI will now be a dedicated fun/track car. So easier to keep the license driving around in a boat on a daily basis. Also the fact that it hits 90% of it's duty cycle at 6.5k rpm keeps me in line too. don't want to detonate a new motor.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I've been thinking about making my Passat a bit more off-road oriented. First up is a reduction in wheel size and an increase in tyre size.

Stock

Beastmode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Bought this red rocket last week. Got it from a wholesaler reasonably cheap because it had an ESP light on and a clunk in the steering column.

Clunk was fixed with a $7 bush in the steering assist motor, and the ESP light was fixed with a $20 brake light switch and $77 for the dealer to clear codes and recalibrate the steering position sensor.

I think Mum will like her new car :)

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I've been thinking about making my Passat a bit more off-road oriented. First up is a reduction in wheel size and an increase in tyre size.

Stock

Beastmode

That rear overhang needs some attention...and there's an issue with wheel travel you might have missed?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Bought this red rocket last week. Got it from a wholesaler reasonably cheap because it had an ESP light on and a clunk in the steering column.

Clunk was fixed with a $7 bush in the steering assist motor, and the ESP light was fixed with a $20 brake light switch and $77 for the dealer to clear codes and recalibrate the steering position sensor.
Had you done your research on Korean cars or just take a punt?

Minlak

custom titis
Did my research, they're both known issues that I didn't tell the dealer were known issues :)
Like the dealer cares. He would have paid nothing for it for the exact same reason and still made his margins on it from you for doing nothing.

Haakon

Like the dealer cares. He would have paid nothing for it for the exact same reason and still made his margins on it from you for doing nothing.
I am sure he did, he isn't a charity. Although would be unsurprised to hear he just bought it wholesale from the Hyundai dealer that took it as a trade and they didn't tell him.

The going rate for the steering column repair is about 500, so that at least went into my pocket for the two easy hours it took me to replace the part.

Paid less for it because of that and a few cosmetics things Mum wont care about, and overall paid well under the average going rate for these things - I'm happy with it and happy with what I paid.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I am sure he did, he isn't a charity. Although would be unsurprised to hear he just bought it wholesale from the Hyundai dealer that took it as a trade and they didn't tell him.

The going rate for the steering column repair is about 500, so that at least went into my pocket for the two easy hours it took me to replace the part.

Paid less for it because of that and a few cosmetics things Mum wont care about, and overall paid well under the average going rate for these things - I'm happy with it and happy with what I paid.
Worst cunts to ever do work for and they cry over 50 cents. I used to deal with a yard that was owned by a family. One family member will authorise work then the other would ring up and cancel it after I had ordered the parts and half way through the job.

Haakon

Worst cunts to ever do work for and they cry over 50 cents. I used to deal with a yard that was owned by a family. One family member will authorise work then the other would ring up and cancel it after I had ordered the parts and half way through the job.
Yeah, I generally avoid them... This one was just the right car at a price I was happy with at the right time and it was very convenient. So to be honest I didn't really bother haggling too much. He was a nice enough bloke who claimed to have let me have it for $300 more than he paid for it and it helped him avoid the bother of preparing it for sale - maybe that's true, probably not entirely. Meh. Its a good car and I am happy with it.

I was happy to do the repairs myself because I was pretty confident it was a cheap and easy fix and I think I negotiated more off the price than the cost and value of me doing the repairs myself. I call that a minor win.

All that aside, I am pretty impressed with this thing though - its not the last word in refinement or performance of course, but I am impressed with the build quality and even the handling is way better than I'd have expected. And given it will be a country car and living 8kms up a dirt road, the impressively chunky suspension components and general over engineered look to stuff underneath is confidence inspiring.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Potentially. Big tyres on the same travel mean you sit taller but with less travel... mostly. The rear overhang is what it is...
Rear overhang.... as in angle of clearance if climbing? The rear tyre at its closest to the guard is about 30mm, was 45mm with standard.

The Alltrack is already 30mm higher clearance than a standard Passat. I'd love to achieve a 2" lift if possible.

Beej1

The Alltrack is already 30mm higher clearance than a standard Passat. I'd love to achieve a 2" lift if possible.
As in, achieve 2 inches over the stock Alltrack? Or 2 inches over stock Passat (i.e. 20 more mm)?

If you're only achieving this by increasing wheel & tyre diameter (as opposed to modifying suspension), bear in mind you can only legally achieve a 25mm lift this way in most states. That is, you can only increase overall diameter by 50mm above tyre plaquard sizes.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As in, achieve 2 inches over the stock Alltrack? Or 2 inches over stock Passat (i.e. 20 more mm)?

If you're only achieving this by increasing wheel & tyre diameter (as opposed to modifying suspension), bear in mind you can only legally achieve a 25mm lift this way in most states. That is, you can only increase overall diameter by 50mm above tyre plaquard sizes.
It is not a 4wd so less, probably maximum +15mm.

stirk

Burner

Stock

Beastmode

Increasing lift on modern cars can be complicated. I like the path you're going down but you'll never turn the car into a capable 4wd able to handle even easy tracks found in Australia. Good traction in European snow meets the design brief.

A quick google finds a simple solution, might work, and give you back tyre to fender clearance.

https://www.spaccer.com/en_AU/makes-and-models/vw/passat-alltrack.html

foxpuppet

Eats Squid

2" over the stock Alltrack height of 165mm, stock passat is 130mm. It would get me into a similar level to older Subaru Outbacks height of 200mm , new outbacks are 225mm