Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Flow-Rider

Burner
The main radiator, heater hoses are warm to hot but the heater only blows out luke-warm air, my thinking is the water is not flowing through the system and the coolant is only hot on the engine side of everything.
Ford heaters usually get fairly hot, maybe the heater tap isn't opening all the way or something else is going on under the dash where the vents are sucking in cold air. I always check the functionality of thermostats before I put them in with boiling water.

cammas

Seamstress
Ford heaters usually get fairly hot, maybe the heater tap isn't opening all the way or something else is going on under the dash where the vents are sucking in cold air. I always check the functionality of thermostats before I put them in with boiling water.
I chucked the old one in a pot this morning and it was still working fine, the radiator is stone cold even after idling for 10 minutes.

There no tap on these, it’s the HIM that controls it so water is flowing through it, that’s if the water is flowing.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I chucked the old one in a pot this morning and it was still working fine, the radiator is stone cold even after idling for 10 minutes.

There no tap on these, it’s the HIM that controls it so water is flowing through it, that’s if the water is flowing.
It will have some type of thermostat bypass for the engine, if you drive the car it should cycle the hot water through the radiator
There must be something going inside the dash then if the heater pipes are hot.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Does an FG even have a coolant flow tap for the heater core? Virtually no cars do, its only on really really old cars you'll find one - pretty much everything is constantly flowing coolant through the core and its redirection of the air over it or around it that turns heat on and off.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
Anyone in ADL use a storage site for their toys?
Bit left field, but i need to store some bigger toys for a bit. no option to keep onsite at present. No real big dollars but not ready to lose them just yet.
I have a Turbo Territory drag car and a GTI-R nissan track car, both unregisterable. i would like ideally under cover but also looking at yard type storage or even corner of friendly farmers paddock. Any recommendations or ideas?

cammas

Seamstress
Does an FG even have a coolant flow tap for the heater core? Virtually no cars do, its only on really really old cars you'll find one - pretty much everything is constantly flowing coolant through the core and its redirection of the air over it or around it that turns heat on and off.
Yeah no taps on the Ford that’s why it’s usually the heater rod that goes, as it selects what air flow you as dictated by HIM unit.
My daughter has been driving it the last two years and she goes yeah I told you ages ago that the heater doesn’t work, her boyfriend’s parents gave them their car when they go a new one so I get this back as my car and the Mrs gets the new one we picked up yesterday. I the week after next so may pull it out and just do it anyway as I don’t think there’s anything else left, why would the radiator stay ice cold after 10 minutes of running and I mean stone cold.
New car shot with the bike.
IMG_9296.jpeg

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yeah no taps on the Ford that’s why it’s usually the heater rod that goes, as it selects what air flow you as dictated by HIM unit.
My daughter has been driving it the last two years and she goes yeah I told you ages ago that the heater doesn’t work, her boyfriend’s parents gave them their car when they go a new one so I get this back as my car and the Mrs gets the new one we picked up yesterday. I the week after next so may pull it out and just do it anyway as I don’t think there’s anything else left, why would the radiator stay ice cold after 10 minutes of running and I mean stone cold.
New car shot with the bike. View attachment 408584
That's fairly normal for a car that's started from cold and not under load. If it isn't overheating when you drive it the coolant must be circulating well through the radiator. If it's had dirty coolant in for a while some of the tubes could be blocked to cause the hot water not to flow through all of the tubes but I would expect it to run hot.
I haven't worked on a Ford since the BAs were new, I've not had one inkling of a problem with my 2 Subarus and now 14 years old. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

cammas

Seamstress
That's fairly normal for a car that's started from cold and not under load. If it isn't overheating when you drive it the coolant must be circulating well through the radiator. If it's had dirty coolant in for a while some of the tubes could be blocked to cause the hot water not to flow through all of the tubes but I would expect it to run hot.

I haven't worked on a Ford since the BAs were new, I've not had one inkling of a problem with my 2 Subarus and now 14 years old. I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
We have owned it for 13 years and it’s never had a spanner to it, this is the first issue it’s had.
As for the coolant it was clean, which surprised me, I disconnected the heater hoses flushing them at same time, water flowed out easily and cleanly too.
Might need to Hambo some Ford forums to see if anyone else has had similar issues.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
As flow has said the engine cooling system is working if the engine isn't overheating so that leaves a blockage in the heater core restricting water flow or the control module is preventing air flow over the core. If it is easy disconnect the heater hoses and blast water from the garden hose through the inlet side of the heater core. If it flows goodly then your problem is the control module.
Edit: heater blower and module issues seem pretty common.

Last edited:

cammas

Seamstress
As flow has said the engine cooling system is working if the engine isn't overheating so that leaves a blockage in the heater core restricting water flow or the control module is preventing air flow over the core. If it is easy disconnect the heater hoses and blast water from the garden hose through the inlet side of the heater core. If it flows goodly then your problem is the control module.
Edit: heater blower and module issues seem pretty common.
Already done both, did the module and heater rod first as they are the most common issues, then flushed the heater core when I changed the thermostat, water flow was good, I flushed the whole system. Really has me a little bit stumped

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Air flow increase with fan speed? You might have an elephant in the air duct blocking flow.

Edit: I seem to remember these are a bugger to bleed properly. An air lock in the heater core will do exactly what you are experiencing. Sign up to the AFF and they have the factory manual on line and check the procedure.

Last edited:

Haakon

Was in two minds about reusing main cap bolts, about 80 euros for a set of genuine ones didnt appeal and the general consensus with the reno peeps is theyre ok to reuse once. New rod bolts though.

Rob bolts are a pretty unique looking thing, but mains look normal - which they are and $13 for a set of 10 from the local bolt shop. Sweet :)

Haakon

Engine reconditioning shops are fun. my local one is a total nerd and up for yack. he was working on a billet RB block that was running at 2000hp. failed from valve float - 68psi of boost blowing the inlet valves open...

Haakon

Was in two minds about reusing main cap bolts, about 80 euros for a set of genuine ones didnt appeal and the general consensus with the reno peeps is theyre ok to reuse once. New rod bolts though.

Rob bolts are a pretty unique looking thing, but mains look normal - which they are and $13 for a set of 10 from the local bolt shop. Sweet :)
Although I'm suddenly thinking about the thicker shaft on the generic bolts and how they probably wont yield to torque the same as the factory ones, and maybe i should reuse the original ones. Sigh. Probably overthinking it, but will now proceed to spend a few hours reading up on the subject...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Although I'm suddenly thinking about the thicker shaft on the generic bolts and how they probably wont yield to torque the same as the factory ones, and maybe i should reuse the original ones. Sigh. Probably overthinking it, but will now proceed to spend a few hours reading up on the subject...
Give 'em an extra burst of ugga duggas and send it! ;):p

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Here I was thinking that headlight and blinker fluid was like a left handed screwdriver.

Until I bought at Mazda. Fahn 'ell. Have about 400ml of water in there hidden at the bottom after the big rain.

Mazda’s official line is that it is normal and the fix is to run the headlights for a while with the high beam blue removed to help the water evaporate.

Kaizen, Mazda. RTFM please. :)

20240415_164639.jpg

Haakon

Here I was thinking that headlight and blinker fluid was like a left handed screwdriver.

Until I bought at Mazda. Fahn 'ell. Have about 400ml of water in there hidden at the bottom after the big rain.

Mazda’s official line is that it is normal and the fix is to run the headlights for a while with the high beam blue removed to help the water evaporate.

Kaizen, Mazda. RTFM please. :)

View attachment 408613
Normal… lol. Dealers really are a dodgy useless lot.