Project Car / Motorbike thread. Let's see 'em.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Give 'em an extra burst of ugga duggas and send it! ;):p
A reno sport workshop in the UK is using them, and they said 75nm is the go. ARP cite 60 foot pounds which is 82nm for their stud conversion.

The OEM tty spec is 20nm and 62 degrees - which doesn't strike me as particularly stretchy - the head bolts are 35nm and 180 degrees, although they are longer.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Normal… lol. Dealers really are a dodgy useless lot.
I think Mazda have something to do with it. Even in litigation crazy America they have dodged what could be seen as a safety issue.

They seem to have carried over the same fault to the next BM models. Geeezzz....

I would gladly pay chunks of money for glass headlights too.

binner

Hath shat hymself
oooh its sooo cool to be organic and change on the fly...reworked brains board to fit all, the cowfish wifi will have to go in a diff spot but mehhh hopefully it doesn;t need that much attention. Made my own pull out but still needs some finishing work to make it look schmick. Tomorrow is more wiring before the last internal panel gets glued...fug i hope i got all my wires in :eek: :eek:

Attachments

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
So, to catch up on this thread, @Oddjob's still pissed off from that beemer passing him on the track, @komdotkom's mate is pretty fast and my most sensible option would be to take an 86/BRZ modify away the anaemic mid-range and get some proper tyres on it.
I'm doing 1.49s around Eastern Creek in the GTR now. Only M2 Comps can touch that.

There's a Nismo GTR that did a 1.41, that's what I'm aiming for when all the turbos and new diffs have been fitted.

For context, there's a BRZ that has done a 1.46.

The BRM is good for 1.29s maybe even 1.26s...

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
oooh its sooo cool to be organic and change on the fly...reworked brains board to fit all, the cowfish wifi will have to go in a diff spot but mehhh hopefully it doesn;t need that much attention. Made my own pull out but still needs some finishing work to make it look schmick. Tomorrow is more wiring before the last internal panel gets glued...fug i hope i got all my wires in :eek: :eek:
Neat work, looks good.
So, to catch up on this thread, @Oddjob's still pissed off from that beemer passing him on the track, @komdotkom's mate is pretty fast and my most sensible option would be to take an 86/BRZ modify away the anaemic mid-range and get some proper tyres on it.
Don't over tyre it. Guys in the UK getting great results from 225 wide semis.

Mattyp

Cows go boing
I'm doing 1.49s around Eastern Creek in the GTR now. Only M2 Comps can touch that.

There's a Nismo GTR that did a 1.41, that's what I'm aiming for when all the turbos and new diffs have been fitted.

For context, there's a BRZ that has done a 1.46.

The BRM is good for 1.29s maybe even 1.26s...

Sent from my motorola edge 30 pro using Tapatalk
So about the pace of an old Celica, nice :p
Screenshot_20240416-080758.png

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Gee, that is quite a hike from home for you.

I would like to hand out the bad advice of hanging around Krispy Kreme donuts at Orangegrove or any McDonalds carpark west of Parramatta late on Saturday night and get all the impromptu races you will need without any annoying entry fees :D

Haakon

It is a BL. I've read that all but the most pricey aftermarket headlights aren't too great.

I could live it big a put a few goldfish in there :cool:
TYC lights are decent - especially for an old car. I've got a set on the Megane, and bought a set for another car I fixed up to sell and I'm quite pleased with their construction and function. $250 for a pair is a no brainer.

Its not just that you have a fishbowl, the light will simply fail sooner rather than later from corrosion on the wiring.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
TYC lights are decent - especially for an old car. I've got a set on the Megane, and bought a set for another car I fixed up to sell and I'm quite pleased with their construction and function. $250 for a pair is a no brainer.

Its not just that you have a fishbowl, the light will simply fail sooner rather than later from corrosion on the wiring.
Thanks, I will look into these if these ones keep lieeting in water any my quick fix . Can't be *that* hard to make something that lets light out and stops water from coming in, now could it? I think I have to remove the bumper bar to fit new lights but can't be that hard.

As as side note, the Jimny has intermittent but big vibrations between 30-50km\h. Mrs is worried to drive it now which is fair enough. The mechanic couldn't find the cause so I'm chasing this one. I'm suspecting the rear tailshaft that has a CV joint on the forward side and uni joint on the rear. These are known to go splat and mostly un serviceable - you can find replacement CV joints but the quality isn't reputed to be too great either. The CV has bit of play in it, which the mechanic *should* have noticed but at least I have a suspect bit.

Went to Suzuki spares and ordered a spare. Checked with them a few times that it has to the rear one since this car has two driveshafts. Sure enough the got the other one. Fahn 'ell. Oh well, I will keep it since the front driveshaft will also have the same km's on it as the rear problem driveshaft and hell, best to keep it and swap both and be done with it. Here is the new front driveshaft and old rear driveshaft.

I have a quite tasty aftermarket tailshaft with 2 x uni joint en route now which removes the CV problem.
https://www.zookoffroad.com.au/product-page/jimny-hd-high-angle-rear-propshaft-jb
From a lifetime of over capitalisation buying blingy bike bits then I'm good to go this way.
20240413_162356.jpg

Flow-Rider

Burner
It is a BL. I've read that all but the most pricey aftermarket headlights aren't too great.

I could live it big a put a few goldfish in there :cool:
You get fined in QLD for aftermarket lights as most of them don't meet Australian standards.

Thanks, I will look into these if these ones keep lieeting in water any my quick fix . Can't be *that* hard to make something that lets light out and stops water from coming in, now could it? I think I have to remove the bumper bar to fit new lights but can't be that hard.

As as side note, the Jimny has intermittent but big vibrations between 30-50km\h. Mrs is worried to drive it now which is fair enough. The mechanic couldn't find the cause so I'm chasing this one. I'm suspecting the rear tailshaft that has a CV joint on the forward side and uni joint on the rear. These are known to go splat and mostly un serviceable - you can find replacement CV joints but the quality isn't reputed to be too great either. The CV has bit of play in it, which the mechanic *should* have noticed but at least I have a suspect bit.

Went to Suzuki spares and ordered a spare. Checked with them a few times that it has to the rear one since this car has two driveshafts. Sure enough the got the other one. Fahn 'ell. Oh well, I will keep it since the front driveshaft will also have the same km's on it as the rear problem driveshaft and hell, best to keep it and swap both and be done with it. Here is the new front driveshaft and old rear driveshaft.

I have a quite tasty aftermarket tailshaft with 2 x uni joint en route now which removes the CV problem.
https://www.zookoffroad.com.au/product-page/jimny-hd-high-angle-rear-propshaft-jb
From a lifetime of over capitalisation buying blingy bike bits then I'm good to go this way.View attachment 408646
Have you seen the price of the new Jimnys ?:eek:

The old ones must be like gold, they go up in value as they get older.

Haakon

You get fined in QLD for aftermarket lights as most of them don't meet Australian standards.
Surely thats mostly all the silly bling LED crap on old hiluxes etc. Standard spec replacement ones likes this would be fine.

fwiw these ones are;
  • Quality Standard :
    • E Mark E13 Conformity is equivalent to ADR - Australian Design Rule Standards for Road safety, Quality and Reliability

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock

Have you seen the price of the new Jimnys ?:eek:

The old ones must be like gold, they go up in value as they get older.
Yes, the new 5 door one is $45k and Mrs has her eye on it. They are nice and all but overpriced because they can get it.
A fast fix of the old one is needed :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
Yes, the new 5 door one is $45k and Mrs has her eye on it. They are nice and all but overpriced because they can get it.
A fast fix of the old one is needed :)
The new wagon type is surely nice but a bit overpriced for a small underpowered 1.6L. I think you're paying for the cult like image.
If I bought one it would need to have a turbo kit installed on it.;)