Project Hyrax: johnny's build thread

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
35mm length. 31.8 clamp.
Did I stutter?

Colour is the same across the clamp size and length.
The Spank one I saw was a similar stem but in a matte, sandblasted finish - and it was quite faded and pinkish. I took great delight in the fact, because the mate that bought it had previously stirred me up many times about the "red" (but faded looking and pinkish from new) Spank Oozy 345's, so I got to give him heaps in return. :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
@johnny is fastidious about the carpet matching the drapes.
Rip up the carpet and polish the boards.

One of my friends has an unused really red anno stem about 40mm + zero rise sitting in his shed. He has a similar blue one on his bike. I'm pretty sure he would be up for selling the red stem, but I won't be able to find out for a little while.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Have emailed MTB Direct asking what can be done.

Hoping there's one with the right colour available, sick of looking for parts that are in stock.

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
Have emailed MTB Direct asking what can be done.

Hoping there's one with the right colour available, sick of looking for parts that are in stock.
If no luck with MTBD hit up Alan at Link Sports. Used to be on here under NerfHerder but the account looks to be gone. He’s always helpful!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Anodise colour control is very very tricky. In the bike world, Hope are the best by far, and even then if you compare batch to batch, it’s close but never the same.

Even with that in mind, spank haven’t even tried here

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Final purchase arrived, now all I need to do is sort that farking stem out - MTB Direct are being helpful, but I need to find a red ano spank part to picture it with to show how off the colouring is. Finding anyone in CBR that has such a part is proving difficult.

beeb

now all I need to do is sort that farking stem out - MTB Direct are being helpful, but I need to find a red ano spank part to picture it with to show how off the colouring is...
You and I have vastly different definitions of "helpful".

IMO - make use of their 14-day returns.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty

Yeah that's not helpful. No point messing around with trying to get it "right" and having your return period lapse. Send it back for a refund, and order a nice black Deity Copperhead in the meantime :)

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member

I should clarify - They offered instant refund and to cover costs of return. I'm getting them to check whether the ones they have in stock are of a brighter shade and in the meantime, I'm helping them deal with Spank (and to ensure that the ones they have in stock aren't similarly as dark/purplish) by taking a pic next to a normal red colour item (looking at the one @moorey has as an example).

If this is, for some reason, the standard "red" for that part, I'll just cut my losses and use the one I already have as I don't want to stuff around anymore, I just want the build completed.

beeb

...and order a nice black Deity Copperhead in the meantime :)
Can confirm, nice stem. I have a black one in 50mm.

Can also confirm, their red variant is somewhat anemic/pinkish in hue. I made use of the 14-day returns on that one.

Now I'm born-again member of the 'Red Order' in the Church of Hope. ;)