Project Plans: Mobile SeeSaw and Height Adjustable Launch Ramp

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
My idea is to build a mobile, height adjustable ramp that can also be changed into a seesaw. It will be in 2 pieces (pivot and ramp), and it can easily be thrown in the back of a ute or onto a trailer.

Anyone made this kind of thing before? Just wondering if there are some key problems I might of overlooked.

The Plans:

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Nice idea man! How will you join the two together; series of holes in base and threaded rod/metal bar through the middle?

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
The pivot uprights will have holes that a metal bar will thread through and lock in place with towbar split pins. The ramp itself will have an axle bracket type system to feed the bar though. Similar set up to a wheel barrow.

The ramp will have 2 axle mount points, 1 at the head of the ramp for jumping and one near centre for the seesaw.

Axle Locking Pin

Axle mount that will be on the ramp

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Cool, pretty much how I imagined. 1 axle for each side or 1 long one to go through both? I guess 3-4 height options would be sufficient?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
even better if you could fold/pivot the legs so both ramp and support become essentially flat for even easier transport.

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
I have planned for 4 heights, but I will see how well that works when i get to the hole drilling stage.

A few designs had hinges that allowed the pivot to fold down flat, as well as folding the ramp in 2, but I was a little worried about the strength of the whole design.

Might have another think about these ideas again and see what I can come up with. I don't want it to collapse when hitting it at speed which is the reason these ideas were scrapped.

Roly

Likes Bikes and Dirt
make sure that when the bike is on the ramp the side struts are far below BB height otherwise there could be real tears!! otherwise sweet idea/design

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice.

Still determining if the ramp will be 50cm or 75cm wide. Current width of the render is set to 50cm.

Dobbo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice work with the 3D. Given the amount of use and force imparted from bikes, I wouldn't have thought that a proper pivot block was necessary. Just a hole through the pieces that the axle go through would be enough, especially if you made those bits out of hardwood, or a hardwood insert.

I have been toying with the idea of an adjustable wall ride, ie varying angles and curveature. I just can't seem to get it to work and be simple enough to be bothered with.

has anyone seen such a beast?

grimzentide

Likes Dirt
Here is a 5 minute crack at an adjustable angle wall ride. cant think of a safe way to have custom curveature at this stage.