Proper tyre weights

Maris

Likes Dirt
Ok, ive been trying to work out the weights of a couple of different tyres im looking to buy but im getting conflicting weights from various sources.

Does anyone have reliable 100% weights for the different variations of high roller(2.35) and minion(2.5) tyres.

Mainly after,
HighRoller DH Single Ply
HighRoller DH Dual Ply
HighRoller DH Kevlar
HighRoller DH UST
And also Minion front ust vs non-ust.

Also, do the different rubber compounds have any impact on weight? Im guessing its negligable but want to make sure.

Thanks for any and all help.

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
I had a look and can't find anything. I suggest go to your bike shop, and while they may think you're a bit loony weighing DH tires, at least you'll get some real scale weights.

Far as I'm aware (which isn't very far), compounds don't affect the weight, maybe by 15G or so tops.

Krank Bikes

www.krankbikes.com.au
I think you will find that not all tires will be the same weight and then listed weights on websites are usually an average.

I will see if I can weigh some tomorrow and let you know.

spinner

Likes Bikes and Dirt
High roller 2.5 dual ply , super tacky with 95% tread 1.30kg

Thats all I've got handy to weigh. :)

._._._._._.

Likes Dirt
Edit:

Ignore me while I remove the foot from my mouth..

Delete if you'd like mods, sorry for wasting space :eek:

Last edited:

nskz

Likes Dirt
All the Maxxis weights off SickLines

Maxxis 2.5″ Minion DHF 3C DH - 1340g

Maxxis 2.5″ Highroller 3C DH - 1310g

Maxxis 2.7″ Minion DHF 40a DH - 1445g

Maxxis 2.5″ Wet Scream UST DH - 1123g

Maxxis 2.5″ Minion DHF 40a DH - 1213g

Maxxis 2.4″ HolyRoller - 858g

Maxxis 2.1″ Advantage Folding - 553g

Maxxis 2.4″ Advantage Folding - 851g

T-Rex

Template denier
Ok, ive been trying to work out the weights of a couple of different tyres im looking to buy but im getting conflicting weights from various sources.

Does anyone have reliable 100% weights for the different variations of high roller(2.35) and minion(2.5) tyres.

Mainly after,
HighRoller DH Single Ply
HighRoller DH Dual Ply
HighRoller DH Kevlar
HighRoller DH UST
And also Minion front ust vs non-ust.

Also, do the different rubber compounds have any impact on weight? Im guessing its negligable but want to make sure.

Thanks for any and all help.
I've weighed a few of these, from the point of view of DH racing, the weights vary +/-50 grams for the same tyre, averages are:

Highroller 2.1 single ply kevlar 760g
Highroller 2.35 single ply 900g
Highroller 2.5 double ply 1300g
Minion 2.7 single ply 1000g
Highroller 2.7 double ply 1350g
Minion 2.5 double ply 1280g

In terms of compound, the 40/42 and 60 in 2.35 Highroller weigh pretty much the same.

I have never used/weighed UST tyres, but my understanding is that they are SLIGHTLY heavier than the equivilent non UST tyres, maybe due to using more rubber in the sidewalls to prevent air oozing out through the rubber.

What sort of riding are you doing? Lighter tyres make a big difference to how well the bike accelerates, as they make up a big part of the rotating mass. However, they come with limitations. Single plys are much more prone to pinch flats unless you run tubeless, proper UST tyres are very expensive compared to non UST, and tubeless converstions are messy and expensive. That said, I am a big advocate of tubeless for DH racing, the mess and expense are worth it for the weight saving and eliminating pinch flats.

Last edited: