pros and cons of 1x10 or 2x10?

douuug

Squid
Okay i've had a quick search and couldn't find anything.. I'm thinking of changing my 3x10 setup on my Reign 1 with either 2x10 or 1x10. If I go 2x10 I'll probably go a 24T and a 32T with 11-36 cassette. If i go 1x10 I'll go a 32T with 11-36 cassette. Is there much point? Also whats some good chain guides for either 2x10 or 1x10? need a reply by tomorrow if i could :)
thanks!

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
A 32-24 front chain seems a bit small, well the 32 bit does. I run a 38-24. Wife runs a 36-22. Both on 29ers

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Depends on the trails you ride. If you find your only rarely dropping to the granny ring, then you would probably be safe to go a 1x setup. I have a 1x10 and I rarely miss the extra ring. Less maintenance and weight and if you only use it occasionally, why bother with it at all?
I have never had a problem with the e.thirteen xcx guide. I have them on two bikes (a 1x9 and a 1x10) and have never had a problem with them.

Benizmo

Likes Dirt
Number one reason to go 1x is that you pretty much eliminate dropping your chain

Also you can buy a unramped chainring, which is stronger and will last longer

Really it depends on where you ride, if you can get away with the single, go for it. You have to look at how steep the hills are you ride but also how often you need a bigger gear on longer false flats or downhills

douuug

Squid
Thanks everyone for getting back with answers so quickly.
I think I'm going to go with a 2x10 setup, maybe a 24T and a 34 or 36T. Now just need to decide what guide to run, any good 2x guides with a bash guard?

MrCove

South Shore Distribution
Thanks everyone for getting back with answers so quickly.
I think I'm going to go with a 2x10 setup, maybe a 24T and a 34 or 36T. Now just need to decide what guide to run, any good 2x guides with a bash guard?
if going 2by then nothing less than 24/36 with 10 speed, even then you'll never/rarely use your lowest gear

how often do you use your lowest gears now? what chainring up front are you generally in?

evObda2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1x10 has been perfect for all riding on my Mojo HD.
I have a 32t up front and 11-36 rear.
Best things about have 1x is having a guide that both keeps everything silent and prevents the chain coming off over rough stuff.
Get a good rear derailleur like the new shimano ones with the lockout (new Saint is probably the go) and it will be spot on!!