Prostate Cancer Awareness Month

Battler

Likes Dirt
G’day Guys
As you may or may not know it is prostate cancer awareness month (September), this is similar to other events such as Movember which occur throughout the year.

Prostate cancer affects 1 in 3 men in Australia, this statistic is huge, 20,000 men are diagnosed with prostate cancer every year. This may seem irrelevant or distant for some of the members on this site as we are all young and healthy but our loved ones, fathers, relatives and friends are the ones that are affected. The aim is to increase research and awareness as it can be treated if found early.

As this site is Male dominated it affects all of us in some way or another and we all a have a prostate, a fact we cant ignore.

Info on Prostate Cancer: http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Detection/early-prostate

SO from this I’am looking for anyone that is interested in making a donation to such a worthwhile charity. This is an event run directly from school which we are aiming to raise as much money as possible.

If you are interested in donating I can provide a postal address where you can enclose a cheque written out to the Prostate Cancer Foundation. If you donate over $10 I will post a receipt, which you can claim back this amount from the government, so it is a win, win situation. When I post your receipt back I will include a badge to show your support.

Also the amount raised by the site will be announced and the forum will be announced as a sponsor in a full school assembly giving advertising and recognition to the site.

An event registration number can be provided and checked by calling the foundation to confirm the legitimacy of the event.

If you are interested in donating please PM for address details, any support from these forums is greatly appreciated.

sam705

Likes Dirt
A local school was collecting money for Prostate Cancer at the shopping complex today. Slipped them a few dollars for a worthy cause!

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh, just as an aside....

Never use the lack-of-prostate-awareness card as a reason to get out of a breast-cancer dealio.

Doesn't go down well.

dog boy

Likes Dirt
It apsolutly shits me, every guy on the planet is expected to know about and donate to breast cancer, yet when you mention prostate cancer most women dont know what ur talking about. :mad:

I shal be growing my mo for movemver this year cant wait =D

elliotdhmcgeary

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It apsolutly shits me, every guy on the planet is expected to know about and donate to breast cancer, yet when you mention prostate cancer most women dont know what ur talking about. :mad:
+1

The fact that Prostate cancer affects more people than Breast Cancer, but Breast Cancer has easily more recognition / awareness, funding etc is one of those little things that gets to me. Edit. Just in case anyone gets the wrong message, i'm still all support for anything, fighting any sort of cancer.

Always happy to give money to prostate research :)

Last edited:

wtr

Likes Dirt
Good on ya, Battler, for raising awareness on here. :)

I absolutely concur with the sentiments being tossed around here.No pun intended.

Battler

Likes Dirt
Good on ya, Battler, for raising awareness on here. :)

I absolutely concur with the sentiments being tossed around here.No pun intended.
Thanks mate, i believe it is more than a worthy cause.

There has been a new addition to the fundraiser which will be occurring in coming weeks. A national swimmer, one of the students will be swimming a 12 hour endurance swim to raise funds and awareness. We are looking at getting big companies involved such as gatorade, harvey norman and the commonwealth bank. Many people have offered to sponsor him per lap and a competition to guess the number of laps with a prize.

One donation ($50) has already been made by a member which is a great but am looking some more donations. So instead of buying 2 beers tonight (for example) donate $10 to your future because 1 in 3 is not good odds.

All you have to do is PM me and i can give you address details to post the donation. If you are younger and dont own a cheque book either ask your dad or we are willing to accept small amounts of cash.

Thanks guys

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I shal be growing my mo for movemver this year cant wait =D
+1

The fact that Prostate cancer affects more people than Breast Cancer, but Breast Cancer has easily more recognition / awareness, funding etc is one of those little things that gets to me. Edit. Just in case anyone gets the wrong message, i'm still all support for anything, fighting any sort of cancer.

Always happy to give money to prostate research :)
As I said before, don't say this/play this card when people are expecting something from you in regards to breast cancer.
Does not go down well.