Protecting crank arms for shuttle runs

tektek

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Did a search and could not find a thread on this.

Planning to do a shuttle service this coming weekend and wanted advice how to protect my carbon crank arms from damage on the trailer? Anyone got any suggestions?

Sami

tektek

Likes Dirt
Thanks Travis,

Hmmm..unsure about the strength of the carbon though, i am assuming the bike would get knocked around quite a bit on the trailer.

stirk

Burner
Depends on the trailer and how well the bikes are tied down or not, thrown into the back of an 8x5 might not be so good but a purpose built shuttle trailer should be fine. I think the carbon will be strong enough to handle shuttling, think of the forces you put through your cranks, it's strong stuff. If you're worried about marks a few layers of leccy tape will protect them from scratches.

moorey

call me Mia
Depends on the trailer and how well the bikes are tied down or not, thrown into the back of an 8x5 might not be so good but a purpose built shuttle trailer should be fine. I think the carbon will be strong enough to handle shuttling, think of the forces you put through your cranks, it's strong stuff. If you're worried about marks a few layers of leccy tape will protect them from scratches.
Tape is chewed through pretty quick on any trailer I've used than has the slip in crank design. Don't think OP is worried about the force, so much as the gouges and damage to the crank arm. I haven't seen a perfect solution yet, sorry.

stirk

Burner
Tape is chewed through pretty quick on any trailer I've used than has the slip in crank design. Don't think OP is worried about the force, so much as the gouges and damage to the crank arm. I haven't seen a perfect solution yet, sorry.
Harsh design. Cut strip of folio cover to outside then, could make it look like just tape but have the extra protection.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your feedback, FYI its the shuttle at You Yangs.

With the potential issues with damaging the crank arm. I might look at getting a LH crank arm cheap...anyone have a cheap SRAM X5, X7, X9 etc they want to part with :).

I'll post in the PARTs sections for my options.

Travis22

Likes Dirt
Cloth tape will last a weekend of shuttles.

In the passed ive also used an old bike innertube slipped over the crank arm but i think cloth tape is the best as its easily removed after the weekend out and quickly reapplied next time you need it.

And on my own bike rack which utalises the same crank arm method of holding the bike i use a cut to size strip of an old computer mouse pad inserted into the RHS slot of the rack to protect the crank arm.

Travis.

jarrod839

Banned
Ive always used elec tape and go around the crank 2 or 3 times and just keep a eye on it every few shuttles. As soon as it starts wearing through just re wrap again but it depends on the trailer and person unloading and loading your bike. For memory you yangs are pretty good with therr shuttles

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I use black duct tape, and pretty much just keep my left crank arms permanently taped nowadays.

I know they aren't carbon, but my XT crank has stayed pretty good.
Tape gets chewed up a bit obviously, but no arm damage.

Saint crank, being fatter and chunkier has gained scratches down two bits where tape gets chewed out.

Strong cloth tape will definitely work better.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But it won't compromise strength as bad as on carbon cranks.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Take pedal off.

Slip inner tube over crank

Wind cloth gaff tape around and over tube to remove any slack.

Make sure go all the way up the crank arm around the bend to wear it meets the BB shell.

Still not 100% reliable protection but will help a lot.

tektek

Likes Dirt
Great thanks guys...I am going to try installing my cheaper FSA gossamer (from my crossbike) tonight to see if I fits.

Might feel a bit weird with it being 2.5mm shorter than my current crank. Hopefully it will fit otherwise I will buy a SRAM GX1000 to replace it.

moorey

call me Mia
Great thanks guys...I am going to try installing my cheaper FSA gossamer (from my crossbike) tonight to see if I fits.

Might feel a bit weird with it being 2.5mm shorter than my current crank. Hopefully it will fit otherwise I will buy a SRAM GX1000 to replace it.
I can say with 99% certainty the FSA won't fit. Even if you are usually 24mm spindle, the gxp step down to 22 for the splines...even if splines were similar.

moorey

call me Mia
Where you located? I'm away this weekend in Tassie, could loan you the X9 off the spare bike. It's the one I run at the Youies shuttles, so it has a bit of said shuttle rash already.

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
Thin strip delrin is the go ,
localy you can get off cuts cheap
if keen could get heap and glue in every one or just have you're own