Prototype Kona Stinky- ebay special!!!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
That is one fugly bike. Are the handlebars on backwards too?

Fortunately it won't ship to AU although I'm sure the customs folks would love to have a laugh at it too.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Guessing gearbox. Is it made by Kona(gearbox set up)?
Looks like a bike to demo many concepts(floaters, extra damper etc).
Pretty cool IMO.
Although gearbox sprocket is way above pivot, so massive anti squat and pedal kickback I'd say.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Ain't no way those Elixir 1 are stopping that thing, haha.

EDIT: On second glance, single Elixir 1 up front, and dual Deore calipers on the rear?

What on Earth...

No Skid Marks

Ain't no way those Elixir 1 are stopping that thing, haha.

EDIT: On second glance, single Elixir 1 up front, and dual Deore calipers on the rear?

What on Earth...
Hey yeah. And the floating brake arms are dampers, one below main pivot, one above. I wonder if they ran both at once or one at a time to see effects. Wouldlove to have a play with that bike.
Not sure if the seat tube damper resists pedal forces, even though there's massive anti squat.
Need more time to think about all that.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The stinky has been out of production. Kona ran floating brake mounts on some stinkys and stabs back in the day. I get the feeling that they decided the features in question here were either not performing or too expensive.

No Skid Marks

The stinky has been out of production. Kona ran floating brake mounts on some stinkys and stabs back in the day. I get the feeling that they decided the features in question here were either not performing or too expensive.
Yeah she's an old bike for sure. Too heavy is one of the strong argumens for no floaters, especially in todays weight weenie markiting bonanza.
Floater makes rear brakes not effect suspension or if mounted higher or lower will make the rear squat(as does without floater, but can be more tailored) or Jack(as I think Barrel ran on his Kona to success(real low front floater mount)). So no floater makes rear squat sort of like front diving under brakes. Not as plush, not as good traction, but feels more accurate and is lighter. Floater gives you more confidence and lets you ride off line and less acurate as it is still plush. That's what I found riding single pivots with and without floaters for years. Both have pros and cons, I'd run either or.
This Kona has what look like dampers though, random, I can't work out if they act differently through the travel or if one was rebound or what.
Guessing this was just a test bed for a few different concepts. seat tube damper is confussing too. Basicly they're running two shocks, one for different speeds perhaps as shock tech wasn't up to speed then. . Or it's not as it seems.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
There's so much going on with that thing, I only noticed the drilled cranks on the third look.
Owner had lots of ideas, but no idea

John U

MTB Precision
Cranks are mounted the incorrect way so the pedals are on the wrong sides.

Fark, so much going on.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeah she's an old bike for sure. Too heavy is one of the strong argumens for no floaters, especially in todays weight weenie markiting bonanza.
Floater makes rear brakes not effect suspension or if mounted higher or lower will make the rear squat(as does without floater, but can be more tailored) or Jack(as I think Barrel ran on his Kona to success(real low front floater mount)). So no floater makes rear squat sort of like front diving under brakes. Not as plush, not as good traction, but feels more accurate and is lighter. Floater gives you more confidence and lets you ride off line and less acurate as it is still plush. That's what I found riding single pivots with and without floaters for years. Both have pros and cons, I'd run either or.
This Kona has what look like dampers though, random, I can't work out if they act differently through the travel or if one was rebound or what.
Guessing this was just a test bed for a few different concepts. seat tube damper is confussing too. Basicly they're running two shocks, one for different speeds perhaps as shock tech wasn't up to speed then. . Or it's not as it seems.
Perhaps similar to the coiler/coilair design that allowed rearward movement via a tiny little shock?