Pub Trivia - AKA things that may be beyond the scope of Moorey’s knowledge

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sometimes there really is.

I read recently that there is a distinct chance this fellow was total myth. Thus I refuse to answer such a question.
I didn't think it was a total myth, he was there and he did have a donkey that carried the wounded. I thought the controversy was that he was perhaps not quite as significant a 'hero' as people think he was.

I heard at one stage they were thinking of a victoria cross, but from what I hear, he didn't really do that much to deserve it. solid job, but not extraordinary.

but obviously I am no historian

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They fucked his VC nomination paperwork up, and he never received one. The original recommendation came from his unit CO on the battlefield and that was backed by Australian Colonel Monash at the time. The recommendation wasn't given by a shiny arse sitting in a battleship, it was from rank on the battlefield.
The Holt government tried to amend the wrong, but a panel in the UK decided against it saying it would set a dangerous precedent, in blind disregard for the posthumous VC's already given. Medal or not, his valour and gallantry are unquestionable. Regardless of what politicians have since thought, he was recommended for one within ranks.

The donkey's name was Murphy, it got a purple cross. Was that the question?

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That's as stupid as holocaust denial.
thats a bit rich....but simpson is a very important part of australian mythology. on the holocaust denial (speaking of stupidity), a long time ago when i had a tv sbs/abc played a program that included an american guy that 'investigated' the holocaust and was all against it. his 'arguments' were pretty weak and easily dismissed with common sense by the others on the program.

You must read some weird shit.
well that is just stating the obvious. but you like sci-fi, so pots and kettles me thinks.

scblack

Leucocholic
thats a bit rich....but simpson is a very important part of australian mythology. on the holocaust denial (speaking of stupidity), a long time ago when i had a tv sbs/abc played a program that included an american guy that 'investigated' the holocaust and was all against it. his 'arguments' were pretty weak and easily dismissed with common sense by the others on the program.

well that is just stating the obvious. but you like sci-fi, so pots and kettles me thinks.
Well played.:thumb:

WHY has no-one mentioned Andrew Bolt lately???

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
WHY has no-one mentioned Andrew Bolt lately???
thanks. i had just removed that moron's name from my mind. for the last 2 days whenever i have tried to remember it all i got was Usan Bolt (spelling??? the runner). i felt i was finally moving forward. sadly hie had been replaced with miranda devine after i read the telegraph on sunday (not something i make a habbit of)....she it seems is genuinely nuts.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
so....it looks like Art got it right. Maurice for the win! simpson and the donkey maurice were key figures on the western front. ask away.

why does nobody talk about the other animal heros of ww1? like the terriers that stopped the rats from eating soldiers ears in the trenches. scraps, and spotty, and scruffy....

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so....it looks like Art got it right. Maurice for the win! simpson and the donkey maurice were key figures on the western front. ask away.

why does nobody talk about the other animal heros of ww1? like the terriers that stopped the rats from eating soldiers ears in the trenches. scraps, and spotty, and scruffy....
um, he landed and was killed at Anzac cove.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
um, he landed and was killed at Anzac cove.
who? scraps? scruffy? it sure wasnt spotty! he was a real trooper....when they brought spotty home he was found to be carrying 3 previously unknown types of flea and the german cockroach. in fact spotty is the exact reason we now have quarantine laws.