Pub Trivia - AKA things that may be beyond the scope of Moorey’s knowledge

Beej1

The Hennessey Venom GT hit 270.49mph at the Kennedy Space Center on February 14th 2014, thus becoming the fastest production car in the world by beating the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport's previous record of 269.86 mph.
OK, but you don't have to look far to find out:
A) it was a one way run, thus not making it an officially recorded top speed as recognised by the black beer
B) they haven't even made 30 of them yet, which I'm pretty sure is the required minimum to be considered a prod car

Not taking anything away from the car. I'm sure it's faster. But I'm sure there's faster cars than both those also - one off's here and there. This Venom is just a 13-off, or 16-off depending what you read, with a effectively a Lotus body and a big fuck-off engine.

Pretty sure the Veyron (super sport - a run of 30) officially still holds top spot.

Beej1

While these super sporty low-to-the-ground racecar inspired jobbies are indeed the fastest of the fast cars, it's the SUV's that've saved quite a few brands these days (including Porsche).

What's the current fastest SUV to get around the Burger Ring (Nurburgring)?

scblack

Leucocholic
While these super sporty low-to-the-ground racecar inspired jobbies are indeed the fastest of the fast cars, it's the SUV's that've saved quite a few brands these days (including Porsche).

Is a Commodore/HSV ute considered an SUV?

Or a Vauxhall VXR ute if they call it that?

Last edited:

wombat

Lives in a hole
Gordon Sumner, Reggie Dwight, Saul Avery, Limp Bizkit are shit, ?, Paul "Arsehole" Hewson, James something, Jello Nigeria, John Lydon.

Dammit. Cleeshoys beaten me with Slash. Pretty sure it is Hudson
What the fuck do limp bizkit have to do with buckethead?

Beej1

Is a Commodore/HSV ute considered an SUV?
My guess is the answer's either No, or a point of contention. For the purpose of my question I'm going to say No.

But they did get a pretty hot lap out of one I seem to remember? In all my life I've never aspired to own a Commodore (or any Australian made car post 1980 come to think of it). But that ute is pretty trick.

scblack

Leucocholic
But they did get a pretty hot lap out of one I seem to remember? In all my life I've never aspired to own a Commodore (or any Australian made car post 1980 come to think of it). But that ute is pretty trick.
I'm sure too I remember reading about it, they got a great time from one Commodore ute.

Agreed completely about owning one. I did have a Commodore SV6 as a company car a couple of years ago (for about 3 months). It was powerful enough, cornered nice and flat, was not wallowy like a Falcon. But I enjoyed it as much as a wet fart in an elevator.

cleeshoy

Eats Squid

Some hotted up Porsche Cayenne?

Beej1

What's it called when you use an incorrect word in place of the correct word with a similar sound, and the result makes no sense but can be funny?

It can happen accidentally e.g. Tony Abbott: "No one, however smart, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom"

Or his colleague in arse-hattedness G.W. Bush: "We need to collect intelligence on these weapons of mass production"

It can also be done on purpose e.g. Stephen Colbert to Ellen Page: "Is it true that you recently outed yourself as a thespian?"

Other examples: Patience is a virgin, I resemble that comment, Trust me I have a photogenic memory, etc.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
What's it called when you use an incorrect word in place of the correct word with a similar sound, and the result makes no sense but can be funny?

It can happen accidentally e.g. Tony Abbott: "No one, however smart, however experienced, is the suppository of all wisdom"

Or his colleague in arse-hattedness G.W. Bush: "We need to collect intelligence on these weapons of mass production"

It can also be done on purpose e.g. Stephen Colbert to Ellen Page: "Is it true that you recently outed yourself as a thespian?"

Other examples: Patience is a virgin, I resemble that comment, Trust me I have a photogenic memory, etc.
Is that a soonerism?

If not, Westie speak?