pump tracks: pics, ideas, help, etc.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
hi guys,
i searched for a pump track thread but i had no luck.
my idea of this thread is to have helpful ideas, used for arranging pump sessions, pics and vids of good/bad tracks and stuff.
even bad stuff is good coz it saves making the same mistakes.

im in the process of building a pump track near my house.
its mostly done so hopefully ill have some pics/vids soon but id like to see what others have done.
its on a reasonable slope but im confident that we can get back to the top...
hopefully. hahah
its going to be in a figure 8 sorta shape so it will make for some laughs with big trains. luckily the crossing is in the centre of the track so should be able to get a few people training without problems.
and at the moment the crossing is planned for a jump over a corner so it may get interesting. =]

any pics or drawing etc. please post for all to see.
cheers kezza.

rabatt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
make a propper sized double for the crossing so you can jump over the other people...

youtube it, mark weir i think it is has some incredible stuff going

or look up megafool (or megawhim? cant remember which one) the guys has about an acre of pump track now i think :S

tim_d

Likes Dirt
Go on the LeeLikesBikes website and download the e-book 'the pump track bible'.
Definitely worth it.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll get out to the one myself and some mates dug this arvo and take some photos, we've got a few different lines, and dual berm. Its good fun and you can get up quite alot of speed on it. It was hard work digging it all by hand, but the payoff is great.

Burrito_Boy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Went out to the track today, the recent few days rain has wreaked havoc on the new sections, but here's a glimpse of what we got going. Sorry about the phone camera pictures. I'll get some better pics once its stopped raining and we've fixed it up.

heres a crappy quick stitch of our layout

and then the 2 stage transition berm

and the s-bend (which is probably my favourite part of the track cause of the g's you pull and the direction change)
with a nice feature duck pond :p

Commecnalrider

Likes Dirt
don't build a pump track near anything sharp. trees are ok. one of my friends got a fair sized cut inbetween his index and middle fingers when at his mate's track last year, the hills hoist was down, and they normally put a tarp or something on it to prevent such an injury, but tom rode straight into it. took ages to heal.

and make sure you abide by all trail building rules (legality ;) drainage etc.) there's a section about trail building look for tips in there.

Last edited:

Red.

Likes Dirt
yeah, that would be nice. but where?
We could make it at the jump out of the burm into the other burm but we making a line that comes out their, or just next to the car port were the pumps are going up the hill ?.

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
update:
we have almost finished it and it flows real good and you carry heaps of speed so i cant wait to get it done.
hopefully get some pics today.
we shld have it done by tomorrow arvo, then its just refining the bits that aren't perfect.
its really hard clay that packs down great but im thinking that when it drys out more it may crumble a bit.
anyone have any suggestions on how to prevent this other than wetting it?
if we wet it, it goes really slippery like the clay you make into sculptures at school.
when it drys a little it ok tho...

Kezza dawG

Likes Dirt
NEW UPDATE::

we had our first AMBULANCE called today at the pump track...

we had almost finished the track and we were having a bit of a session.

dodgerider/red was the one.
he was railing the first berm and his front tire was getting progressively higher on the berm all day. the berm is almost 180 and we are carrying alot of speed around it.
on about his tenth lap his front wheel went over the berm about half way through,
he went face first into the berm and didn't even have time to react and put his hands out, his face left a nice dent in the dirt, and i was like ohh shit, and went straight into the house and got the phone.
he had alot of blood coming out of his mouth.
we suspect a fractured/broken jaw.

but ON A LIGHTER NOTE we have one roller/pump and a small corner to go and then we can start building extra lines on the side.

the way we have the centre crossing is great fun aswell.
its a figure of eight but we have made it so as you come up to cross you can cross or you can turm back to go around the same bit again so it can be essentially two loops or a figure eight or a combo of both.
the rollers coming back up the hill are great and im finding that if i get too much faster the turn back into the start may get interesting. :)

Luke_99

Likes Dirt
This is Reds face mark in the dirt. The rectangle shape object in the dirt if you look closely is his hat mark where he had flex it all the way back.

And this is how much of the track we have done so far.

By the way keiran, you might wont to see if you can move this into 'trail building' thread...

Red.

Likes Dirt
This is Reds face mark in the dirt. The rectangle shape object in the dirt if you look closely is his hat mark where he had flex it all the way back.

And this is how much of the track we have done so far.

By the way keiran, you might wont to see if you can move this into 'trail building' thread...
Year i got fu#ked up somthing hard.
im on morphine right now so
but no brakes so its all good, my face is just all blue and black and a bit of red.
im on morphine right now so it all good, im just chilin at home
I might come up tomorrow.:eek:

Last edited:

Luke_99

Likes Dirt
There was seriously a pool of blood on the ground from you. Oh and remember how you said i wona be the first to crash on it... well you are:rolleyes:

Last edited: