Purchasing a second hand MTB

patgags

Cannon Fodder
Returning back to mountain biking, I am offered with a great specced bike for a fair price.
What should I look for when purchasing a second hand bike so that I know that the bike is in good shape?

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Check all the welds for cracks ( If carbon, check the whole frame! ).

Check forks for scratches on teh stanchoin ( Shiny part that compresses into the lowers) Scratched on the stanchoin can ruin seals on forks. This will cuase them to wear more, and require moe servicing
Check for cracks on the lowers
Ask when the last service was on the forks and shock. If the seller can supply a reciept thats a bonus!

Check that the derailluers are straight, and alligned ( the parts that chage gears )
Check derailluer for cracks

Check to see if the cranks feel smooth to pedal

Check that the headset is in good working order ( new headsets can be quiet dear to be installed )

Check for cracks in the rims, snapped spokes, bent rims. If they are slightly bent its ok, they can be trued quiet cheap.
Check that the hubs roll smoth. If the hubs are in crap condition or are broken, A LOT of money it will cost to get one replaces. Ontop of the cost of the hub you have to pay for labour. Which includes taking of spokes, buying new spokes, puting 32/36 new spokes on, tubes, tyres back on. All up youd be looking at about ~ $100 per wheel + Hub cost

Check the brake pads. If hydrualic check the lines for holes/fluid leakage.

Check rotor/rim for scorching A scorched rotor/ rim will chew through brake pads, and make your brakes absolutly terrible!

Thats the majors i think. The last would be TEST RIDE! Make sure you pay particular attention to the whole bike, don't be excited until you have handed money over, otherwise you will get overwhelmed and not pay enough attention !

Best of luck mate.

Kurt

ChopSticks

Banned
Most importantly make sure it's the right size for you.
+1 on the size

made a major mistake when i got into the sport...bought a small when i needed a large !!!!

something to ask the seller (if the bike is a dual suspension bike) is when the pivot bears were replaced....if ever?
bargining point could be the wear on tires? cabl rub, chips etc

best advice i can give you though is research what you are buying, go spend hours googling it. see if its what you need, if the design has defects, user reviews

+ if what you are paying is what the bike is really worth. theres plenty of cheap bikes if you look at the right places and wait !!!

driftking

Wheel size expert
A lot of the major things have been covered I will add to the above who suggested to ask when bearing were replaced but ask if the suspension has ever had a service and when was it done last also if it has been tuned or needs any work done to it.
The biggest thing with buying 2nd hand is to not feel pressured into buying a bike, if you don't feel comfortable making the purchase then walk away.
Ask as many questions as you can even if the questions are asked in a form of conversation like where they ride have they been to this place, you can get alot of information from just talking to the seller about the type of use or abuse the bike has taken. Definitely anything you ask the seller try get it in writing if possible and even better signed. If you do all the writing up and let them sign and read it most of them would be happy to do so, this just covers you if the seller lies about a particular issue with the bike. While it might sound very specific it is good to cover all basis so you both are clear on what is said and what is expected from the sale.

I think the key things to take away is, get as much information as you can, ask as many questions as you like, check every little thing and walk away if your not confident in the bike or the seller. Rushing into a deal is probably the biggest mistakes people make

~Alan~

Likes Dirt
best advice i can give you though is research what you are buying, go spend hours googling it. see if its what you need, if the design has defects, user reviews
That is a good one, search through reviews on google and read the pros and cons to see if it is the right bike.
Also don't buy the 1st one you see thinking that this is the one, there is plenty of bikes out there.

B Rabbit

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm currently looking into second hand 29ers. Another thing I'm considering (especially with carbon bikes) is the warranty aspect. As far as I have read most companies will only allow warranty claims for the original owner, so if it's a near new bike the price would need to reflect the risk taken if the frame cracks as you'll have no warranty to back you up.

space_ghost

Likes Bikes
I'm no bike guru, I've purchased two bikes and a bunch of parts from people in the trading area of rotorburn, currently looking for a 3rd :) . I'd never say don't do your own research but the success I've had buying 2nd hand gear from here has given me a lot of confidence in this community. I'll never go back to ebay.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Exactly, this is more like a community compared to ebay, less likely to get scammers and stolen bikes at least!

But you still have to make sure you ask the right questions and get the answers. If you make assumptions then you can't blame the seller when it turns out to be not quite what you expected.
If information isn't forthcoming then be persistent, if you think you're just getting fobbed off then take the worst assumption I guess (like if you ask what year something is and seller says they can't remember, then assume it's really old or been through a few hands at least).

SilverSP

Likes Bikes
I paid $630 for a Mongoose 08 Teocali Comp off eBay and took the chance that it wasn't stolen and was in good condition.

The guy I brought it off said he brought it from the Bike Hub in Brookvale (still had the Bike Hub sticker on it as well) second hand for around $1200 a few years ago and it had new pivot bearings fitted at it's last service as well.
Took it for a quick ride before purchase and it had no squeaks or groans so I guessed that the frame was fine.

The bike itself came from NZ in it's past life as I found a NZ bike club sticker on it from Auckland so who knows how many owners it's had.
I've upgraded the brakes to XT's and after snapping the chain I also replaced the cassette to an XT as well as new chain.
Replaced the seat as well as I came off a few weeks back and ripped it and now thinking about wheelset and tyres although forks may be next as the rebound function on the forks is stuffed.
It's heavy and slow (2.35 Nevegals front and rear that came with it) but rides really well and comfortable which is needed for the rocky trails around here.

As much as I like a new bike I know that I can be a bit hard on it without worrying about paint jobs. lol
Best part of an second hand bike

ChopSticks

Banned
another lesson I learnt was, how EXPENSIVE this sport it......

if you're just getting into the sport, and dont know much....I HIGHLY recommend you save the extra money and go to a bike shop and buy the 'best' bike you can afford

if i had know the amount of money id spend on the bikes I have...I wouldve just gone out and bought a fancy yeti, ibis etc

however, I must admit....I learn ALOT in the process....... my valuable 2cents :)

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if i had know the amount of money id spend on the bikes I have...I wouldve just gone out and bought a fancy yeti, ibis etc

my valuable 2cents :)
This is a VERY valuable 2 cents, one i wish i knew ..... A lot of 0's ago :p

I bought a complete Morewood Izimu last year for $1800. Since last year, i have bought, New forks, brakes, stem, tyres, rims (plus labour), derailluer/ shifter, pedals, grips and a chain guide. I have spent more money on upgrades then i orignally did the bike. It does pay to save and hold out that little bit longer to get a new bike from the shop, which is what i wish i did the first time.

However i didn't learn my lesson the first time. When i spent over $2000 building my 2008 reign frame up, only to find out that brand new 2011 run-outs were selling for $1700.

Moral of the story is, Shop around, be patient, and save save save!

Last edited: