Purpose of Vistalite Remote Switch

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I have a bunch of vistalite stuff, and one piece that I have never used is the remote switch. Picture in the link below.

http://www.webersports.com/store/VistaLite-Nightstick-Thumbtack-Remote-Switch-P469C5.aspx

I usually run a cable from a battery on my frame to a light on my bars. then I have another cable which runs from a battery in my back pocket to a light on my helmet.

I don't really understand when it would be beneficial to use the remote switch. Maybe for my helmet light, but then I would have a cable dangling around in front of my face. For my bar mounted light, there is alreadya switch centimetres from my thumb...

Any suggestions? I am missing something basic here, or should this part continue its long sleep in a box of bike bits.

tegski

Likes Dirt
I used the remote - once.
I think it was so that you did not have to take your hand off the bars to turn off the lights. Remember that the light only had power for just over an hour, so off it went as soon as you pulled up for anything or conserving power on the uphill slower sections - flick of the thumb.
Now have 3 hrs plus with Ay-ups, so I don't bother turning anything off!

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Lights

I will re-arrange the configuration so the remote switch is closer to my right thumb. Prob minor benefit, but means less movement of my hand away from where is needed on the handlebar.

Us old schoolers still need to conserve lights on climbs etc.