PVC Bike

MJBIKER

Squid
Just been looking around the internet when I came across some videos of PVC pedal carts, Does anybody think that it would be possible to build up your own bike out of bits and pieces. I know that a mountain bike would be hard to make because of the stress put on the bike but instead starting off with a cruiser or road bike. Has anybody else seen this been done because i'm pretty interested in knowing

ChopSticks

Banned
unless youre a plumber or in the construction industry...purchasing elbows and lengths of PVC pipe will cost more than buying a proper 2nd hand frame

another restraint is the angle of elbow joints....only way to compensate is to heat and bend pipes, which wont be ideal

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Just been looking around the internet when I came across some videos of PVC pedal carts, Does anybody think that it would be possible to build up your own bike out of bits and pieces. I know that a mountain bike would be hard to make because of the stress put on the bike but instead starting off with a cruiser or road bike. Has anybody else seen this been done because i'm pretty interested in knowing
PVC-U pressure pipe (either Class 12 or Class 18 - expect to pay $10 - $15 for a 6m length of 15mm Class 18) will have the necessary wall thickness to give enough strength to make a frame but where it will come unstuck is the limited diversity of fittings in terms of both style and geometry. So the only alternative is to custom up the connections by building up pipe and cutting into then with a holesaw at the required angle...fiddly but certainly doable. The result won't be light and it will be a bit flexy!

From a personal safety perspective...PVC will work harden quite quickly so expect the head tube/down tube connection to fail relatively rapidly compared to more traditional materials. This could be uncomfortable...

Still... http://www.pipeonline.com.au/

Last edited:

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'd say go for it!

Won't be the most beautiful or best handling of bikes, but it would be an interesting project/hobby and something unique if you have the patients to go the distance and make it work.

Just film/document each stage/problems/solutions, it would be a very interesting read.

mason33

Likes Dirt
Lot of effort for something that probably won't work and guaranteed to look like shit. Your better off making a potato gun out of PVC, you know you want to.