Qantas and air Canada bike shipping - bike gear

OH64

Likes Dirt
Ok so I was wondering who has flown with either and has transported a bike. I only ask as I would like to know if you put all your bike gear inside the same box and if there was any issues as Qantas have said they don't know and Air Canada said they would try and find out. So just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience.

cheers
Ivan

Last edited:

nathanm

Eats Squid
I've flown to NZ with Qantas via Air New Zealand with my bike packed in a huge, bike specific hard case. It got pretty squashed as it looks like they put it at the absolute bottom of all the luggage :mad:

However in Jan/March this year I flew to and from Brissy on qantas domestic with the bike just in a canvas/cloth bike bag. sent it as fragile goods and it came out from both legs perfectly :)

Air NZ covered around $600 of my damage on the original flight being international so maybe check with Air Canada if they do the same, if not get insurance (plenty of other threads on that)

Reubs

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, have flown both with a downhill bike.

In reguards to putting all your gear in with the bike (as i attempted to do the 1st time) you need to be able to pick up the box/bag! With a 20kg dh bike (give or take) you are then able to fit another 12kg in the box as 32kg is the OH&S limit as to what a baggage handler is allowed to lift. NOTE: this weight may incur some excess baggage costs depending on your destination (north america is cool, europe much less).

I found air canada to be awesome! i took my old big hit dh with me plus another bag of clothes/gear etc then bought a heap of stuff and a DJ hardtail frame and fork back in 2003. i rocked up at vancouver airport with 3 "bags" (clothes, bike, frame) to see what the excess would be... 175 bucks!! the nice lady told me that if i could sort it all into 2 parcels that fit into a "bike bag" (ie big ass plastic bag) they gave and they were under 32kg each then it would cost me $0. half hour and 2 attempts later i had 1 at 34kg and 1 at 33.5kg. The check-in chick placed heavy tags on them and checked it in at 32kgs each!! sweet! 175squid i didnt have to part with.

no complaints with qantas the following year but i also had a heap less stuff and was dialled with the whole travelling with a bike deal...

OH64

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the info guys. Will have enough insurance to cover the bike fully along wiht all other luggage so damage isn;t a worry(well it is as I couldn't be bothered with it, but all will be covered).
the stupid size of the boxes that Qantas want me to use however is an issue, 140x80x30, thats friggen tiny.

Yes, have flown both with a downhill bike.

In reguards to putting all your gear in with the bike (as i attempted to do the 1st time) you need to be able to pick up the box/bag! With a 20kg dh bike (give or take) you are then able to fit another 12kg in the box as 32kg is the OH&S limit as to what a baggage handler is allowed to lift. NOTE: this weight may incur some excess baggage costs depending on your destination (north america is cool, europe much less).

I found air canada to be awesome! i took my old big hit dh with me plus another bag of clothes/gear etc then bought a heap of stuff and a DJ hardtail frame and fork back in 2003. i rocked up at vancouver airport with 3 "bags" (clothes, bike, frame) to see what the excess would be... 175 bucks!! the nice lady told me that if i could sort it all into 2 parcels that fit into a "bike bag" (ie big ass plastic bag) they gave and they were under 32kg each then it would cost me $0. half hour and 2 attempts later i had 1 at 34kg and 1 at 33.5kg. The check-in chick placed heavy tags on them and checked it in at 32kgs each!! sweet! 175squid i didnt have to part with.

no complaints with qantas the following year but i also had a heap less stuff and was dialled with the whole travelling with a bike deal...
bike only weighs about 17kg and gear is 5kg so the weight isn't an issue. More just the plebs on the phone have zero idea. Se said ohh but its a box specific to a bike so I don't know how you would go with putting other items in with it. Why the hell it should matter I don't know. If it goes in with the bike or in another bag.

Last edited:

OH64

Likes Dirt
hmm got it to fit into a box smaller than Qantas wanted which i thought would be impossible without some serious tetris skill packing. Only weighs 28kg too(albeit with my shitty bathroom scales) But I doubt they are 4kg out.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the stupid size of the boxes that Qantas want me to use however is an issue, 140x80x30, thats friggen tiny.
thats crazy.

ive taken bikes out of QANTAS bike boxes, ones they actually give people to put their bikes in. and they are massive. like... long enough to keep your front wheel on. mental.

im going air NZ and struggling to get some real answers out of what they will allow me and what they wont. time will tell, but its frustrating when the guy on the phone doesnt know what he is allowed to tell me.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
thats crazy.

ive taken bikes out of QANTAS bike boxes, ones they actually give people to put their bikes in. and they are massive. like... long enough to keep your front wheel on. mental.

im going air NZ and struggling to get some real answers out of what they will allow me and what they wont. time will tell, but its frustrating when the guy on the phone doesnt know what he is allowed to tell me.

Air New Zealand allow you 23Kgs in each bag. max.
So as long as you can squeeze your bike in under 23 kgs, you can add more to it.

Last edited:

red_dog

Likes Dirt
My experience was ill fated.
I bought a Qantas box - dont do it, they are too big.
When flying over I was charged no excess with either company aforementioned.

Coming back, Air Canada enforced their 'over sized luggage' charge.
They stung my C/C twice by 'accident'. (They dont ask for a signature!)

Be aware of each companies baggage allowance - which is listed clearly in their websites

The golden rule is signage on your luggage! - the flight numbers and cities are a good idea to have listed for each destination (going over and coming back - i pre-printed mine on A4 paper)
When they issue your tags for your box, make sure the put at least 3 of the bar codes on it - on each side in a plainly seen spot.

Also possibly related When going to whistler - allow at least 4 hours for bus time

OH64

Likes Dirt
My experience was ill fated.
I bought a Qantas box - dont do it, they are too big.
When flying over I was charged no excess with either company aforementioned.

Coming back, Air Canada enforced their 'over sized luggage' charge.
They stung my C/C twice by 'accident'. (They dont ask for a signature!)

Be aware of each companies baggage allowance - which is listed clearly in their websites

The golden rule is signage on your luggage! - the flight numbers and cities are a good idea to have listed for each destination (going over and coming back - i pre-printed mine on A4 paper)
When they issue your tags for your box, make sure the put at least 3 of the bar codes on it - on each side in a plainly seen spot.

Also possibly related When going to whistler - allow at least 4 hours for bus time
Cheers for the heads up on the signage on the luggage, I'll try make it idiot proof as possible.

I have printed off all the baggage allowances for both and for both companies it comes in under for the bike, now its just my other luggage I have to worry about.

bus pfft, buying a van/minivan/4x4 bollucks to public transport!!!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i'm planning on taking a DH bike minus tires/tubes and a Dj bike minus wheels to Canada in a few months, i'm kinda thinking at the moment to rig up two boxs, with some hardcore gaffa action to make them strong/moveble, then i'm just gonna chuck all bikes/luggage in there. I'm going over to hang with a bud that lives there so transporting ease isn't as big an issue.

Ok so I was wondering who has flown with either and has transported a bike. I only ask as I would like to know if you put all your bike gear inside the same box and if there was any issues as Qantas have said they don't know and Air Canada said they would try and find out. So just wondering if anyone has had first hand experience.

cheers
Ivan
Qantas sporting goods page :)
http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/sportingEquipment

Air Canada sporting goods page.
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html

Have fun over there!

orfeo

Likes Dirt
i'm about to fly from TO back to sydney with air canada. I'd been told that i would just need to pay a $50 excess baggage fee and i was planing just to pack the bike into one of those cardboard boxes it comes in. I was thinking i'd reinforce it with cardboard rolls (like what cling wrap is wrapped around). But i'm now a bit concerned that the bike may get damaged if it gets put at the bottom of the pile. Do you guys think my method would suffice?

orfeo

kieron+byk=:)

Likes Bikes
just a while ago i flew to melbourne on qantas with my 20" BMX. it was in a cardboard bike box. just picked it up for free at my lbs.

when it arived in melbourne it was fine but the axles were sticking out and so was one side bar side.
and i thnk it was free? cant remember properly but i think seeing an add in there mag on the plain saying you can take your bike on the plain for free.

it was good. no dramas so yer go ahead.

thanks

zoidberg

Hooraaay, I'm helping!
I just got to Whistler last week. I flew with China Airlines. I was allowed to pieces of luggage with a limit of 32kg.

Be VERY aware of not going over this, as a mate of mine had his bike packed in a bike box (like the box the bike is delivered to your LBS in). He had all his gear in there as well. When he measured on his bathroom scales, it weighed 30.2kg At the airport, 32.1kg They made him pull his box apart at check in and get it down to weight. This with queues of people behind him.

I had my demo 9 packed with some gear and LOTS of bubble wrap/foam etc. It weighed 31.8kg so I was good to go. One of my brake lines snapped at the handlebar even wrapped in foam and cardboard. I was worried there would be brake fluid on the paint, but all good!

Insurance were fine, and with the prices here, you'll be able to replace whatever isdamaed no worries!

Don't hurry over yet, still shitloads of snow...