Qld- Nerang trail status

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An update on the Nerang Trail Saboteur

Sadly the Nerang trail vandal is still at it. We need to identify this nutbag before someone gets badly hurt. There is a rumour one rider hit a bridge incompletely cut through from below and biffed as it collapsed.

Unfortunately, for now you cannot approach any bridge in the Nerang National Park with confidence. Please take care and keep your wits about you everywhere. A few moments off the bike to check a structure is far better than the alternative. Please check the link appended.

http://www.mtbtrailcare.com/BlogPostView.asp?BlogPostID=145

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Absolutely disgusting :-(

This was the biggest thing that pisses me off with the 4wd community and so sad to see it happening here too.

Booby traps.... Why in gods name try and kill someone? What are the chances of catching them?

geoff_tewierik

Likes Dirt
With a couple of motion detect cameras used for game hunting, pretty good chance you'll nab them.

And I hope they do, this shit is fucking scary, last thing I want to do is go for a ride and not come home to my wife and daughter because some nutbag booby trapped a trail.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A network of motion sensing cameras would be great and QPWS do use them to monitor animal movement and near traps used to catch deer etc. However, we have to rely on QPWS and police investigating as they see appropriate, so any evidence we can collect as park users is likely to be the most valuable.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Once my mate and I actually get our good bikes, we'll probably hit these trails up a bit so will do what we can to assist.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi gang. Just a heads up re Nerang. We had 100mm of rain yesterday and the trails were already washed clean before that when we did an inspection Wednesday afternoon. There are some places you should avoid this weekend. In my opinion that is every trail, but some handle a deluge better than others and probably will be OK on Sunday if the rain stays away.

Definitely avoid Pete's Extension - it will be a bog and we are going to be working on it. We have a supply of gravel and have been waiting for it to become sodden so we can embed heaps of it into the tread so it remains more durable in the future. This will not be a loose gravel cover, we hate that, but deeply embedded stones that will harden into the surface.

Parts of Casuarina will be very wet and easily damaged.

911 should be avoided as the lower parts will be sodden and because all the bridges were damaged by the saboteur (not caught yet).

Happy Valley has had recent work done in a number of places. Please let it recover from this soaking.

Explosions will be too vulnerable

What should be stable is Three Hills, Bailey's, Vertigo, Brett's (there will be a bog at the bottom), Neverending Story and Pete's original trail. There are some good loops possible there with a little fire road at times.

Thanks for the help. It will all be good to go again in the next week if people give it a chance.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry I was a bit too busy too post up a trail status review. The big rain did little harm except to some recent trailwork - nothing too serious. All is good to go, although creeks are running again and there will be some wet and muddy areas as per usual in the lower areas. We saw very few riders over the weekend which is good as people are obviously thinking about their impact.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The latest update is that our trails continue to suffer sabotage. In the last week bridges have been removed and replaced and removed again. Rocks are still being placed on singletrack riding lines. Reports of fishing line being strung across the line a rider would use to avoid a booby trap have now started to come in. We are dealing with a psycho here. At this stage the lines are at wheel height, but I dare say this sicko is going to escalate their actions and I absolutely fear that neck height wires or lines are likely to be next.

We have reported the increase in activity to QPWS rangers again. Discussions with riders suggest there are some who have had enough and are definitely looking for the perp with the intention of rough justice. We must catch this person/s. From word on the trail, there will be blood if they are found by some of the more upset riders.

Be very careful out there and consider downhilling trails only after you have climbed them. You still cannot trust any bridge to be stable or even there at all until this person is removed from the park.

Last edited:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nerang Trail Saboteur Identified

A rider has provided 100%, certain identification of the trail saboteur this week and both Qld Police and QPWS have been advised.

Male, late 40's to maybe early 50's, solid build about 100kg, slight beer gut, short grey hair, walks with purpose like an ape and is very strong. For those who know the single, burned log bridge on Happy Valley close to the B&B's end of Wombat's trail; he lifted and moved that alone. When he knew he was spotted, he went bush to escape and no photo was possible.

The description may sound comical, but this is serious. Don't take this person lightly. Be careful. We still need photo ID, so getting that is a priority. Please help. Let's hope the web is tightening on this nutbag.

Hsbuy

Cannon Fodder
Happy Valley was smashed today, the new reroute had branches and logs deliberately placed across the trail. New drainage works were pulled up and most concerning was two log roll overs on happy valley main trail heading west had wood removed on making an OTB very possible if you were expecting the same feature as usual. I fixed what I could but beware things have changed.

The damage is getting worse, more frequent ant deliberate in nature. This person needs to be stopped before someone gets hurt.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He was spotted mid morning I believe, but this guy works at any time. Damage of this kind has been going on for many months and on trails from the velodrome to the far reaches of the system. Unfortunately the only way you can be sure a trail is safe is to ride out and ride back the same way soon after. Riding loops is a risk if you are smashing it out. There is little doubt the impact and intent is escalating. This dude is dangerous. We need him out of the park, permanently.

F-Bomb

Likes Bikes
Those of you with GoPro and similar cameras should probably be using them all the time on the Nerang trails. This may help get footage of the guy, if you happen to run into him.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes please for Gopro footage. That would be so much less likely to agitate this character than pulling out a camera.

noel0409

Likes Bikes
Try sending some pics and a story to the Bulletin and see if we can get some public shame happening for the culprits, might even flush them out. We were there on Sunday and my young mate was riding the bridges I was continually concerned about vandalism but didn't see any, we went up along the top trails and over the back of the big hill

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's already been on local (ABC) radio. I like the idea, but psychopaths thrive on recognition, so I'm not sure it is the way to go. If we can capture this dude on film, QPWS will be able to track his movements and where he comes in and out of the park. I think the best outcome for this nutter is being arrested in front of his neighbours. Then the shame means something much more personal.

Need to get back

A few months ago I had my first ride up at Nerang. Amazing how many trails there are and the incredible amount of work all the trail builders have put into this place. Big cheers to you guys!

Hard to hear about the stupidity of the 'trail vandal'. Lets hope for everyone's sake he gets caught soon.

Hoping to head up for a ride next weekend. Really want to have a go at "Wimps".

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Warning for Nerang National Park for Wednesday 9th July. QPWS is planning a controlled burn involving the section of park including Happy Valley, Wombats, Bailey's, 911 and adjacent areas. Rangers have asked riders to respect all closure and warning sings in the interest of safety.

Remember that in these shorter hours of daylight, it may not be possible to return via a longer route than you planned. Riders caught on the edge of the burn area, which occupies a large part of the lowland access and exit to the trail system may be caught out. Please plan ahead and advise your riding buddies.

This controlled burn will occur the day after tomorrow.

gnarly_rider

Likes Dirt
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/que...nted-by-queensland-police-20140730-zyc3m.html

1406675187838.jpg-300x0.jpg

Led Zeppelin shirt-wearing saboteur wanted by Queensland police

July 30, 2014 - 9:06AM

Several mountain bike riders have been injured after crashes while trying to avoid logs and rocks deliberately placed on a Nerang trail, police say.

They have released a comfit image of the man who they believe is responsible for placing the obstacles in the Nerang State Forest.

“The items placed on the bike trail appear to be strategically placed to force riders to either crash into them or crash whilst avoiding them,” Nerang Police Senior Sergeant Peter Gordon said.

“It is certainly concerning that riders have suffered injuries as a result of these incidents.
Advertisement

“Anyone found to be intentionally placing items across bike trails could potentially face serious charges as a consequence.”

Senior Sergeant Gordon said the man was involved in a confrontation with riders last week, when he became abusive towards them.

The man has been described as Caucasian, aged in his 40s, with short dark hair, a solid build and is missing front teeth.

He was wearing a black Led Zeppelin t-shirt, black shorts, a black cap and sunglasses. The man had also been sighted in the area once before, and was wearing a Pink Floyd t-shirt on that occasion.

Police have asked anyone who recognises the man or has information to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or at crimestoppers.com.au.