Qld- Nerang trail status

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't mean the ebikes are worse on the bridges, more that new riders on ebikes might find their way out there and in turn out of their depth much sooner in their riding career than people on regular bikes who are knackered and turn around where all the unsanctioned stuff starts. If I had no issues making it to the top of Bailey's when I started I probably would've explored out there earlier and know I wouldn't have been capable of a lot of the stuff out there. I wouldn't ever consider trying to pin the onus on someone else when I inevitably eat serious shit out there though.

Did you feel like there is someone to blame for the shitty bridge you came off or did you just accept that's the trail, it's out of the limits of the maintenance crew and moved on?
I am not local and have only ridden there a couple of times and the track looked and rode just like all the other trails out there so I would have expected that the locals would have done something about it (either fixed it, taped it off, or destroy it). The problem with the bridge was that it looked perfectly fine but it would have been a lot better/safer if it just wasn't there (it didn't look really needed anyway).

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I am not local and have only ridden there a couple of times and the track looked and rode just like all the other trails out there so I would have expected that the locals would have done something about it (either fixed it, taped it off, or destroy it). The problem with the bridge was that it looked perfectly fine but it would have been a lot better/safer if it just wasn't there (it didn't look really needed anyway).
Yeah, okay. I guess we have different expectations of trails then. I haven't been riding long and I've only ridden at Nerang so I don't know how it all works. I'm amazed any of the shit out the back exists, don't really expect anyone to service the stuff.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Dodgy bridges add to the character of the place, shall I risk it or not. Lol! I'm surprised that the unsanctioned trails have lasted that long.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dodgy bridges add to the character of the place, shall I risk it or not. Lol! I'm surprised that the unsanctioned trails have lasted that long.
They just need to do what happens in brisbane. Make the trails, get everyone riding them, then get the council to approve them. It's just like what rich people do when they demolish heritage listed buildings, so the council is pretty familiar with letting things like this slide.

Also, there were HEAPS of hikers walking up the mtb trails which was pretty annoying.

Flow-Rider

Burner
They just need to do what happens in brisbane. Make the trails, get everyone riding them, then get the council to approve them. It's just like what rich people do when they demolish heritage listed buildings, so the council is pretty familiar with letting things like this slide.

Also, there were HEAPS of hikers walking up the mtb trails which was pretty annoying.
My memory isn't the greatest but the Norco Flow trail that they closed down has to be more than 6 or 7 years old.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Good to see people are unhappy about it. Might be too late, I'll be keeping an eye out for any ways to help though.
I wonder if QPWS were waiting for grant money to sanction the trails and just pulled the pin when they never got any, because it's a bit strange that sunshine coast received 1.3 mil in grants just for upgrades to sugerbag road and trails that have been sitting there for 10 plus years at Nerang get the chop. Most of the trails were in fairly good condition when I rode through last too, they wouldn't need much work to comply.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What has happened and what is planned for closure is outrageous, disrespectful treachery. QPWS has apparently declared war on MTB in Nerang. The plan to close not only Wimps and Norco Flow, but Vertigo, Never Ending Story, Pandora, Avatar, Super Loop, GGs, Lost World, Terminator, Hateful 8, 911, Netti and about a third of Baileys has commenced.

Apparently Megan Scanlon, the local member has been able to put a temporary hold on this cluster #u*k, but considering the bloody minded destruction of Norco and Wimps, it is hard to feel confident. Thanks QPWS; for years we helped you look after assets that are loved by exponentially increasing numbers of riders, raised Nerang's reputation so it could host national and international sporting events and watched it become a place that provides a physical outlet for a massive population of active people, including plenty with no respect for this sort of slap in the face.

What do you reckon will happen happen when you close the only dedicated DH trails and leave riders sitting on DH bikes with no trail to ride? What about XC trails that have been enjoyed for 15-20 years? They have pushed a snowball down the avalanche slope and it is going to crash onto the QPWS hut at the bottom with illegal, garbage, environmentally unsound trails multiplying through the park. Not only that, but you can bet Gold Coast City Council land is also under threat if the rats are chased from the Nerang trail system.

Shame on you QPWS! We all need to stand up for Nerang and save it. Please join the FB group Flow-Rider posted above.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Yeah kinda seems like QPWS blind sided everyone and just did it quietly. Hopefully the Facebook group can get some traction. I don't have Facebook so I can only read the posts, no comments and can't see how many members but there definitely seems to be no shortage of upset people.

Like I've mentioned, I'm only a new rider and haven't ridden anywhere else but other than a few bridges that could use some attention I don't see any extra risk out there. I'm sure they could've had volunteers bring the stuff up to code instead of destroying stuff.

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A Gold Coast Bully reporter and photographer got together with GCMTB, Nerang Trail Alliance, Rocky Trails and the Save Nerang Facebook group today to take the message to the media. Should be in the paper tomorrow. Meaghan Scanlon, local member seems to have this BS on hold until the election. After that, it may all fall apart if the current Qld Gubment regain power.

Be warned. This is not over: our trails are on the edge of disaster. If Nerang is destroyed where does that leave the Gold Coast? Don't sit back. Get on board with he FB group Save our Nerang Mountain Bike Forest ASAP and be prepared to protest in person if needed.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Apparently the story is on page two of the bulletin today, Channel Nine and Channel Seven will be there this afternoon too. Definitely getting some attention.

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
I rode there this afternoon, there seemed like a big turn out for the news crew. Handy it coincides with a race weekend so there's tents up and stuff, looks very organised.

Did Lost World for the first time today, suuuuuuch a cool track. Had a super sketchy bridge on it, I'm guessing that's a main one people have issues with. I ended up waddling across because I'm a pussy but you can tell as soon as you get there it's sketchy. If you try ride that, fall, then try pin that blame on someone else you're a straight up turkey.

Hopefully best case they give people permission to go fix the bridges and leave us be. I'm sure the sketch factor excites some people but some nice new structures would take a lot of potential problems away.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I rode there this afternoon, there seemed like a big turn out for the news crew. Handy it coincides with a race weekend so there's tents up and stuff, looks very organised.

Did Lost World for the first time today, suuuuuuch a cool track. Had a super sketchy bridge on it, I'm guessing that's a main one people have issues with. I ended up waddling across because I'm a pussy but you can tell as soon as you get there it's sketchy. If you try ride that, fall, then try pin that blame on someone else you're a straight up turkey.

Hopefully best case they give people permission to go fix the bridges and leave us be. I'm sure the sketch factor excites some people but some nice new structures would take a lot of potential problems away.
I'm going to have a man cry if they get rid of Lost World. It will not be worth making the trip from Brisbane to ride the place and it will be the last of the good trails gone.

marks

Likes Bikes
I think the bridges these days need to comply with being able to survive for a set number of years. That's why they use those concrete culverts in a lot of places.