QR and disc brake issue.

Ryan

Radministrator
Interesting, that issue has been dismissed as a crock for a long time in this industry, good to see some hard evidence backing it up.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it's not a crock, but if it happened lots there would be all sorts of lawsuits and recalls going about... There are gazzmillions of peeplez using discs on QR, they keep it tight and they have no problems, if it does come loose or what ever the lawyer tabs are there, not that i would really really on them for much...

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hahahahaha, what a joke. As Kalem said, keep em tight and you'll have no problems.
I did this to my JrT brake mount and never had a problem with the wheel slipping. It was a 20mm fork but it was the original QR20 that didn't enclose the axle properly and did rely on a standard QR skewer to hold it all in place.

creepyjoe

Likes Dirt
Actually this is a problem on my bike.
I have to really tighten up the QR and it seems to loosen itself after a bit of rideing, and then you can notice the drop-out slipping under brakeing and need to tighten it again.

The lawyer tab on the disc brake side is showing signs of severe wear, it was already like this when I got it as I got the bike 2nd hand a month or so ago.

Maybe I've just gotta try harder to tighten it.

I was thinking it's possible that it's slipping in the past has worn the drop out smooth causing it to slip easier now.

This is with a marz z5 fork and hayes mech 6" brake.

Anyway not a big problem just something I gotta keep an eye on.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
creepyjoe said:
I have to really tighten up the QR and it seems to loosen itself after a bit of rideing, and then you can notice the drop-out slipping under brakeing and need to tighten it again.

The lawyer tab on the disc brake side is showing signs of severe wear, it was already like this when I got it as I got the bike 2nd hand a month or so ago.

I was thinking it's possible that it's slipping in the past has worn the drop out smooth causing it to slip easier now.

Has your skewer worn flat where it contacts the dropout ? Maybe try a new skewer, they really shouldn't just come loose all by themselves.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Gutty said:
creepyjoe said:

Has your skewer worn flat where it contacts the dropout ? Maybe try a new skewer, they really shouldn't just come loose all by themselves.
yeah new skewer for sure, you could get fucked up bad!

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Joe, this thing is rooted, get a new skewer, do it up nice and tight and i believe your problems will go away. Possibly even look for a steel ended skewer, it should bite into the ally drop out a little better.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i had a skewer like that on the rear of my old FSR, a new (quality) skewer will be so much better...

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
have heard from a bunch of people that they have been replacing the standerd QR axels with steel bmx solids, and just doing them up with the right sized spanner.
end of problem.
which is fine if you don't mind carrying something to undo it.
i'm going to replace the QR on the rear of mine with a solid axel, and i have 20m for the front anyways.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Yeah I've heard alot about that too. Just make of two things, firstly that the axle is long enough (you might want to look at the axle off a7spd freewheel wheel, same as a BMX one just longer) and secondly make sure it's a cro-mo one. I know at our shop we only stock cro-mo ones, they're about 2 bucks dearer, but heaps stronger.

Emmett

Likes Dirt
yep, i replaced my front QR with a new Funn QR and it still is not good enough. Im running xt 6' hydro's. Im having a bolt on bmx style axle attached at the rear as we speak. Time to call the LBS and go bolt through on my '01 z5's

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
how do they go for rear qr axles? Also, how can you convert the standard qr to the steel bmx through axle (still fits in normal drop outs?)

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they will fit the normal dropouts, you just replace the hollow QR axel with a solid cromo one, and bolt it up.
it will increase the rigidity of the rear end, and makes it harder for some lowlife to nick if you go out.
only down side is having to carry a tool to fit the nuts, which is no problem at races, and not much of one at any other time realy.
as has already been said, just make sure you get the right length.

i posted this else where but sorry i want an answer,

can i make my quick release hubs, bolt through hubs,

they are 4 bolt, formula's from 2000. You could get bolt through in the same year so what difference is there?

Its only for the front.

Also are there adapters that make the 4 bolt hubs 6 bolt hubs so i dont have to mess around with formula rotors?

Cheers
sorry for the double post

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you shopuld be able to go to bolt thru with no problem.
in the unlikely event that you have some really weird strange axel size, an engineering firm will machine one for you for a minumal fee.