QR or bolt up rear for DH

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

Building my next DH bike and with the wheels i have i have the choice of using a QR rear or a bolt up rear.

If i used the bold up rear the particular axle nuts wont allow me to use the standard deraillieur guard on the Demo8.

I am tossing up either going bolt up and no rear guard or

QR and use the rear guard.

If there is going to be a noticable stiffness when i ride it with a bolt up i will go that way and not worry about a derailliuer guard.

Has any one any experience proof that a bolt up is noticably stiffer that a QR?

I tested a QR and a bolt up on my SX Trail on DH runs such as dump and clear and did not notice any difference latterally.

Cheers

davo808

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd say use bolt up. yes, qr is very tempting due to convienience but they're shit all secure.
for example I was jumping in a skate park on my street bikie with a qr rear wheel which was secured very tightly and at one stage I came off and the ipact caused the rear wheel to completely come out of the frame. not good..
while my old STP with its bolt up deemax rear never budged, even when it was sent off a cliff.
+1 for bolt up.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
Good point Dave,

So you think the added benifit of using the Derailur guard is not really needed? i notice pretty much only Speicialized Demos and SX trails have the gaurd, Also it would only save the rear mech in certain circumstances.

Are both those bike Davo horizontal dropouts?

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
QR! It's not horizontal dropouts so I doubt it would make any difference to stiffness. As you know my bikes got horizontals and QR, funnily enough its only ever slipped at Castle Hill. Didn't even budge slightly at bigger, rougher tracks like Brookfield, Toowoomba, Cedar Creek and so on.

I don't know what the deraillier guard is, but I'd say you may as well have it. Basically: If its vertical dropouts go QR, convenience+guard.

tmc_2

Likes Dirt
True i dont really see how in a standard drop out how a bolt up is going to make the rear end stiffer than a properly clamped QR.

But Its good to hear other people experience

t

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed a considerable difference in rear end stiffness on my bottlerocket when I had a saint hub in the back.

I also know a few people who have used the convertible tuffneck hubs and reckon they can feel the difference between the bolt up and the QR configurations.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I noticed a considerable difference in rear end stiffness on my bottlerocket when I had a saint hub in the back.

I also know a few people who have used the convertible tuffneck hubs and reckon they can feel the difference between the bolt up and the QR configurations.
Definately. I use TN and Dice HooDoo hubs. There is quite a difference between standard QR, the 10mm QR and bolt up.

I find it also depends on the bike frame too. Some frames are more naturally flexy. Bolt up will make a difference in these circumstances.