Quality tool kits

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After working for a mechanic all week I have decided to pursue a full time mechanics apprenticeship. I'm looking at buying a pre stocked tool chest, something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway. What I want to know is what are brands to go for and what to avoid, I know all the most of the major brands but I want to know which one has the best quality for the money paid, I'd love to go Snap-On but I definitely cannot afford to pay Snap-On prices.
I'd love to hear the opinions of other auto/diesel mechanics.

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
What sort of tools?

Know the difference between tool and instrument?

Example, hammer = tool, ruler = instrument.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
You're right, don't bother with Snap-on. Good stuff but bad value.

For general hand tools Sidchrome is great for the price
Teng Tools make some good stuff

Lots of stuff to avoid, generally all the really cheap and nasty china stuff. Although you can find some good stuff sometimes (ie $80 supercheap rattle gun that has more power than snap on, never seen them there since tho)

Lots of pre-packed Sidchrome chests in the tool shop flyers that are aimed at the apprenticeship $800 tool bonus or whatever its up to these days (if you still get it?)

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Brands speak for their product. At the end of the day, the tool/device that gets the job done practically wins. I also use precision tools that are made in Taiwan, but generally, made in US, UK, AU, AT, SW, DE etc.

It's really difficult to say which ones you should get. I got by by getting them as I need them or acquire the skills to use them

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good quality and a decent value, you cant go wrong with kinchrome, good tools, and they have aside for really really specific tools just about everything you could ever need, heads up first thing to do if your tools are in a work shop no matter what you buy, by a lockable solid tool box no point spending money if its going to go walk about, tool boxes are, for a good one usually upwards of $600, or the full money kinchrome ultimate tool box with built in radio and fridge, the tool box its self is about 2k-3k depending where you buy it.

there is an abundance of choice but as stated, cheap and nasty will be exactly that, snap-on will be great tools no doubt but cost and arm and a leg to have a look the truck, kinchrome, sidchrome, stanley are a good tool, not as nice as others but quality and reliable

shop around and tell us what you're looking at and i'm sure people will be more than happy to advise wether you're but good stuff or shit stuff

rb baby

Likes Dirt
I prefer kinchrome, sp and teng to name a few. I usually catalogue shop for specials, car wise I cannot live without ratchet scanners, long and the stubby type. Up until I discovered those I had several cut/bent modified homemade "precision" spanners useful on jap imports.

A life time warranty goes along way and most reputable brands offer them, I went away from sidchrome after seeing 2 sets of sockets that had to much chrome on them and did not fit the bolt sizes as stated. I'm sure they are still as good as they have been but just my choice.

Kinchrome and SP do fantastic apprentice mechanic type stack on chests for very good value I think, I've been eyeing off an SP one myself.

Oh and a good 3/8 and/or 1/2" torque wrentch is a must too at a later date.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good quality and a decent value, you cant go wrong with kinchrome, good tools, and they have aside for really really specific tools just about everything you could ever need, heads up first thing to do if your tools are in a work shop no matter what you buy, by a lockable solid tool box no point spending money if its going to go walk about, tool boxes are, for a good one usually upwards of $600, or the full money kinchrome ultimate tool box with built in radio and fridge, the tool box its self is about 2k-3k depending where you buy it.

there is an abundance of choice but as stated, cheap and nasty will be exactly that, snap-on will be great tools no doubt but cost and arm and a leg to have a look the truck, kinchrome, sidchrome, stanley are a good tool, not as nice as others but quality and reliable

shop around and tell us what you're looking at and i'm sure people will be more than happy to advise wether you're but good stuff or shit stuff
Well I saw on eBay today a 120 odd piece Sidchrome tool set for $1099 or a 244 piece Stanley set for $950, has Stanley really slid that far or is this a mega bargain?

Graunched

Likes Dirt
Motor mechanic, tools specific to that trade. Sockets, spanners, screwdrivers that kind of thing. Tools mate.

SERIOUSLY.......DONT DO IT! There are so many mechanical trades out there in which you to get alot less dirty and you get paid a whole lot more... I take my hat off to all the motor mechanics out there, but f*ck me those guys get screwed over something shocking!

My 2c...

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After working for a mechanic all week I have decided to pursue a full time mechanics apprenticeship. I'm looking at buying a pre stocked tool chest, something I've been meaning to do for a while anyway. What I want to know is what are brands to go for and what to avoid, I know all the most of the major brands but I want to know which one has the best quality for the money paid, I'd love to go Snap-On but I definitely cannot afford to pay Snap-On prices.
I'd love to hear the opinions of other auto/diesel mechanics.
Look at the Force range from Trade Tools. Lifetime warranty, no questions asked. I have HEAPS of their stuff and it's awesome.

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I don't want to be an auto mechanic as a career, it has a long term goal of eventually ending up as an aircraft mechanic. I was talking to a bloke last year who owned an aircraft maintenance business and he told me that my knowledge of airplanes was enough but my mechanical experience was too lacking for him to offer me a job, he advised me to get some official training in auto mechanics otherwise no one else would look at me either. I didn't pursue it back then due to other commitments but now the opportunity has arisen that I can get the experience I need to follow my dream. With all due respect I didn't ask for career advice, I'm chasing advice on decent tools to look at buying.
Cheers.

Graunched

Likes Dirt
I don't want to be an auto mechanic as a career, it has a long term goal of eventually ending up as an aircraft mechanic. I was talking to a bloke last year who owned an aircraft maintenance business and he told me that my knowledge of airplanes was enough but my mechanical experience was too lacking for him to offer me a job, he advised me to get some official training in auto mechanics otherwise no one else would look at me either. I didn't pursue it back then due to other commitments but now the opportunity has arisen that I can get the experience I need to follow my dream. With all due respect I didn't ask for career advice, I'm chasing advice on decent tools to look at buying.
Cheers.
No probs. FWIW I'm a L.A.M.E, working for an airline, and in my experience there is more than one way to skin a cat. I don't agree with what that bloke told you re: no one else would look at you. Doing a trade just to get enough 'experience' to get another trade seems like a waste of time to me, though that's just my opinion.

Will PM you a few details that may help you out, though I hope this isn't construed as career advice. :eyebrows:

Last edited:

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
look i'm not saying stanely are on the same playing feild as sidchrome and kinchrome but they're not cheap and nasty shit, they're not the top notch but still a decent quality tool

nastylilweed

Likes Dirt
You're wasting your time doing an automotive trade to get into aircraft work. It's been said several times.

You're been working for a mechanic for a week and decide you want to take up an apprenticeship in automotive mechanics (who are glorified oil change experts) in order to transfer into an aero mechanic? Even thought this trade experience will benefit you when transfering to another mechanical based trade I beleive you are wasting your time. The time spent doing a 4 year apprenticeship could be much more constructively spent gaining knowledge and experience in an area more specific.

Go see what TAFE offer in areas related to it and maybe do some short courses and get a certificate in something more realevant.

Don't be so negative towards those giving you advice. You may learn something...

ON TOPIC.

SIDCHROME FTW