Queensland State Champs Mackay

lindsay

Likes Dirt
As some of you may already know the 2007 Qld State Champs are being held in Mackay this year on the 18 and 19 August.

Their club has a new website where all information on the event can be found. Check it out. www.mackaymountainbikeclub.com

The first 100 entries go in the draw to win a SRAM XO rear derailleur!

The Mackay Mountain Bike Clubs preferred car rental is: Mackay Car & Truck Rentals on 49531522. They are offering 10% discount on their vehicles.

The closest accommodation is back in Mackay along Nebo Road. The Tropic Coast Motel (4951888) is offering a complimentary hot meal with the room rate which commences from $75 per single. The kitchen is closed Sunday night.

Marcia from the club has also informed us that if anyone has any questions to post it on the Mackay Mountain Bike Clubs forum as she will be updating the information regularly.

MTB_91

Likes Dirt
Highly recommend going to this race guys...Nice track, rough as guts.

I do believe that you can camp at the race venue (ill get verification if you can or not), always a good experience.

kanga

Squid
Highly recommend going to this race guys...Nice track, rough as guts.

I do believe that you can camp at the race venue (ill get verification if you can or not), always a good experience.
Yes camping is allowed at this event track-side.

Please check out our website for further details.

Marcia Eves
Mky MTB Club

kanga

Squid
can you go there straight on the day and register, or do you have to do it online?
To ensure that we can cater for everyone especially with transport. We are requesting that you pre-nominate.

Check out our website for further details.

Marcia Eves
Mky MTB Club

kanga

Squid
Pre nom only I think..

Mackay always put on a good race and track
Thanks for your positive comments. We only hope that everyone who comes to Kinchant for the States will go away with memorable thoughts. We are very proud of our track and am very pleased with our venue. I believe it is the 'only' venue where I have seen a grassed area with heaps of close parking.

Our recent event with transport was a little dissappointing because of rain but we are now 'ready' - we will be providing transport for 50 bikes & seated riders. Come July - this will be a trial for our big event.

The northshore bit has been taken out. . .

Marcia Eves
Mky MTB Club

Stef

Likes Dirt
Thanks for your positive comments. We only hope that everyone who comes to Kinchant for the States will go away with memorable thoughts. We are very proud of our track and am very pleased with our venue. I believe it is the 'only' venue where I have seen a grassed area with heaps of close parking.

Our recent event with transport was a little dissappointing because of rain but we are now 'ready' - we will be providing transport for 50 bikes & seated riders. Come July - this will be a trial for our big event.

The northshore bit has been taken out. . .

Marcia Eves
Mky MTB Club
50 bikes? Maybe I misunderstood, but most qld events we have around 200+ riders.

Also I'll be there on a hardtail and am wondering if you could post a brief track description ie. length, major obstacles and how rough is rough? Hardtails bite on this stuff. Just want to know what to prepare for as I'll need to train for the tough stuff!

Cheers, it is sounding very exciting indeed!

Little T

Likes Dirt
Went up there last weekend or so for a race and the track is in awesome shape:D. To 'alapinestar' the track is alot different to Toowoomba you'll be expecting full on rocks/roots at the top until you get to the top rockgarden, then it gets a little less rough but still alot of rocks until the steps. After that it is practically smoothish. Also i am on a hardtail and can handle all the A-lines easily although up the top it can get a bit bouncy over the roots/rocks. I look forward to it and it shall be an awesome race.

scotty beefs

Likes Dirt
Ah - the top rock garden - t'is fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYa-ZUPOAyo

there's a video by berko of our roadtrip to the recent race, gives you some idea of the track (including a few examples at the very end of how not to do the top rock garden ;)

From memory in the recent race the senior hardtail winning time was only 30 seconds behind the elite mens winning time - so yeah it is a bit rough and rocky but it's not crazy.

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You guys have got a pretty big typo on the entry form, look above where you select the division we enter. "Age as of 31/12/2006". NOT good for people who want to sandbag a division below them. Might want to clear up somewhere to that Under 19's means UNDER 19 years of age at that time. Theres alot of people that thing it means 19 and under, or 17 and under, and etc.

projectsplat

The film guy
Insane track, best camping spot (right next to the dam, walk away from food/beer and only 45 minutes out of Mackay!) and a very long track with some quite technical bits thrown in. Beautiful location! See for yourself...

Damn that makes me home sick. I hope a whole heap of you get up there and ride that track. I sure wish I could. It's a bit far for a weekend trip these days!

Al
- ex-Moranbah rider.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
That rock garden looks so good! Every DH track should be lock stock with rocks............;)

I highly recomend going. great camping, track, and meals. me and the guys from gladstone love going up there to ride and i think the rocky and townsville guys would say the same. it would have to be one of the best race tracks i have ever riden.

Little T

Likes Dirt
That pic of the rockgarden is great, it shows the whole thing practically and you can see the differen lines to hit it. When you look at it in pics it looks real crazy but it isn't all that hard to get when your riding through. Also FATPM were you at the last mackay race on queens b'day weekend?