Queenstown NZ - temporary bike/baggage storage?

blue_muppet

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Got an NZ trip planned for a few weeks of Jan/Feb next year - the first week is the Milford Track hike and the last 1.5 weeks or so will be sampling some gravity fed trails in and around the south island. We're going to have our hiking packs, regular baggage and possibly our downhill bikes/gear with us. Obviously whilst hiking for 4-5 days we won't need our bikes/riding gear/extra luggage, so we need somewhere to drop it off for a few days then pick it up again.

I looked at Queenstown airport - you can store big items (bikes) for 10$ a day and rent a baggage locker for 8$ a day - for two of us that's about $200 in storage and we need to go back to the airport to get our stuff. This isn't a huge drama & might be simplest. Otherwise my other ideas - find some friendly accommodation in Qtown or Te Anau that will hold our stuff, or give a couple of slabs of Monteiths to a local kiwi in exchange for some of his/her shed space.

Has anyone been through this before and can provide some ideas?

QBT

Queenstown Bike Taxis
Info & Track on Shotover st said they would store 2 bikes and 2 bags for 4 days for $40. Right in the middle of town, +64 3 441 8170. Accommodation providers are used to this sort of thing so check with them, and I drink Stienlager Pure!

Dan T

Cannon Fodder
check accom places first

I left a hiking pack at Blacksheep Hostel for free for about 2 weeks after I stayed there for one night, and then stayed there again when I returned to Queenstown. It wasn't a big enough space for a bike though, it's under some stairs. A much cooler hostel, certainly one of the most chill in Queenstown, is Bungi Backpackers, they'll store stuff for a fee, not much from memory, like $5, don't think there was a time limit. It's in a big room with all the cleaning stuff, so you might be alright to get bikes in there, though they might sting you for a bit more $. I'd lock your bikes up too cause often the room is open while staff clean the hostel. Bungi is awesome though, like staying in a massive share house.

woodyjbh

Likes Dirt
Contact Vertigo Bikes and ask them for advice. They helped us out shedloads when we ere there in Easter. Friendliest bike shop i've ever been to and they were more than willing to put up with a couple of aussies bugging them every day...

Woody