Queenstown/Whistler - What type of trail/enduro.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In the early stages of planning what I'm going to do after I graduate university at the end of next year and feeling like it'd be the best opportunity I'll get to spend a year overseas being a bike bum. Likely going to spend the christmas months in Queenstown before heading to whistler for the Canadian summer.

Ideally I'd take a couple of bikes with me so I have more options. First would obviously be a downhill bike for the parks and a trail/enduro bike would be my second pick but I'm unsure what type in terms of travel would be the best fit as I've only ever personally dealt with 100mm XC bikes while living in Brisbane. Would a 140mm type bike like a Stumpjumper or a 160mm Enduro be better suited for the majority of trail riding in the areas? Just using specialized examples because I know them better than other brands, don't want specific bike suggestions.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
On my last trip to Queenstown, I took a 140mm travel trail bike and rode everything in town except for the double black stuff. You can get away with a downhill bike on most of the known trails but there's so much stuff you'll crank on a trail bike.
Take both mate!

MrZ32

Likes Dirt
something like an enduro enduro evo or equivalent would get you down just about everything... and allow you to pedal the other trails out there.

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On my last trip to Queenstown, I took a 140mm travel trail bike and rode everything in town except for the double black stuff. You can get away with a downhill bike on most of the known trails but there's so much stuff you'll crank on a trail bike.
Take both mate!
I'd definitely be taking a downhill bike, I'd never forgive myself if I went full enduro plus I was there at the start of the year for the park and no way I could go back without one. Just unsure how full on a trail bike I should bring for the other areas (7 mile, rude rock and any other non-DH trails there).

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The braking bumps on some of the more popular runs will make your forearms weep.

Big bike is also fun to thrash around at Wynards Mini Dream Track.

QBT

Queenstown Bike Taxis
Some of the best riding in Qt is accessed by trail bikes, with super steep, tech downhill to get home. Can't tell you where on a public forum (gotta keep some stuff for the locals!) but if you're for more than a week, you'll find it.

I roll with a Demo and Stumpy Evo, love them both, perfect pair for Queenstown riding.

If you were bringing one bike, I'd say an Enduro. If you're bringing two, Dh rig and a stumpy (still grunty enough for the good stuff!) You will get away with a shorter travel, but the angles are much better on the stumpy for steep and tech

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you were bringing one bike, I'd say an Enduro. If you're bringing two, Dh rig and a stumpy (still grunty enough for the good stuff!) You will get away with a shorter travel, but the angles are much better on the stumpy for steep and tech
So you'd rate a stumpy evo over an enduro then for the riding that's available?

Ro100

Squid
Id aim for the long travel trial bike.

I've done just about everything on my 160mm.

Taking one bike only will keep your travel costs down and you can always hire a DH bike.

If you are spending an extended period of time OS you could even buy a bike there and sell. Keeping in mind that you might need to take a small loss to sell in time of heading home.

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
I can speak for at least the Van, BC and similar tracks (when you aren't on your DH rig) and would definitely go the 160 mm route, or 170 mm. Something with 160 mm and 66 or less HA is ideal. The trails are way above what you get over here for tech but you need to ride to the top too.

Enjoy!