Question for a our bigger riders.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just ride em till they blow up
Im on a Giant E trance, 23kgs of bike, 115 kgs of me plus gear and they are holding up fine...they are 32 hole, but there quality seems pretty good
just put some coin aside for some decent rims, and keep an eye out for a red hot bargain.
What model Reign, the SX looks sick!
Trying to get him on the SX as I think that will suit him better but the budget may be the limiting factor. I was in Canberra on the weekend and saw the base model reign 29er at Pushys. I must say I like it.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Ok related question, my mate is liking the Giant Reign 29er. The wheels are 28 spoke giant wheels. I'm feeling these might be a little under gunned for a guy of his size. I reckon he should be on 32 spokes for a start and I have no idea what giant wheels are like. I assume they are another brand that have been "rebranded" giant. Anyway am I over thinking it?
Yup. Grab volume reducers for his shock, and if his wheels die buy some hope completes. Sorted!

The standard reign's are plow machines, he'll be fine. He does need to pedal it up, and being a larger dude he'll need the help.

the drizzle

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm 100kg and riding a set of 28h wheels, sun ringle duroc 35 in 29"

I was also worried they would explode. They have held up good on my rig thus far. I ride pretty hard and they have seen a lot of roots and natural rock gardens plus bike parks where I have been riding lately.

I wouldn't be too worried. Worst case scenario if he blows one out there are plenty of reasonably priced quality replacements available

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Ok related question, my mate is liking the Giant Reign 29er. The wheels are 28 spoke giant wheels. I'm feeling these might be a little under gunned for a guy of his size. I reckon he should be on 32 spokes for a start and I have no idea what giant wheels are like. I assume they are another brand that have been "rebranded" giant. Anyway am I over thinking it?
See how they go and replace with something appropriate when they explode. I remember reading somewhere that some of the Giant wheels were getting Dt internals which is good.

Do not get a pre-built wheel as a replacement if you can avoid it. Dt swiss and everyone they make wheels for (Roval etc) use alloy nipples. Some companies (Enve) use 2 cross lacing to save weight which is ok for 28h 27.5 but not going to cut it for 29ers. Some have truly awful hub mechanisms (Mavic, Bontrager, E13). Others have some pretty soft alloy in the rims (Hope). Most haven't been de-stressed properly so will lose tension within 500kms and then you have to deal with awful nipple lock while truing.

Best bet is a custom built set of Hope hubs with Dt or Spank rims, brass nipples, lanotec or linseed oil for nipple lube and Dt or Sapim butted spokes.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Binaural

Eats Squid
@Oddjob speaketh great wisdom on the alloy nipples. If you buy a standard wheel with alloy nipples, you are letting yourself in for a world of regular irritation as big guys break spokes at a way higher rate than lighter guys (I have to fix a couple spokes a year even on my road bike, and the next one might trash the wheel as the nipples have rounded). Realistically, your wheels and drivetrain are where your biggest reliability traps will be found. Fo5r example, in addition to the spokes I have busted hubs which dumped me on my face, chains, and even broken cogs off the carrier.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
@Oddjob speaketh great wisdom on the alloy nipples. If you buy a standard wheel with alloy nipples, you are letting yourself in for a world of regular irritation as big guys break spokes at a way higher rate than lighter guys (I have to fix a couple spokes a year even on my road bike, and the next one might trash the wheel as the nipples have rounded). Realistically, your wheels and drivetrain are where your biggest reliability traps will be found. Fo5r example, in addition to the spokes I have busted hubs which dumped me on my face, chains, and even broken cogs off the carrier.
Sending it on the roadie, nice!.....I don't think road bikes are supposed to be used for Park!

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mwahaha. I thought I was the only one who had done that.

Yip, been there too.

Admittedly I've run 28h wheels with the Nukeproof Horizons and they're reliable enough. Haven't needed to true the rear much and the front at all. Brass nipples used on them too. Definitely would recommend going with a hand built set to be sure.

I've run carbon wheels too, and always now with a tyre insert to stop time strikes and improve overall comfort. Kflex for the win!

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yup. Grab volume reducers for his shock, and if his wheels die buy some hope completes. Sorted!

The standard reign's are plow machines, he'll be fine. He does need to pedal it up, and being a larger dude he'll need the help.
Will be using the spacers for sure. Cheers .

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Time to lean on that fantabulous warranty. Otherwise I have a bulletproof Dt 370 I could sell cheap.

Giant will replace the wheel like for like. If they do replace it’ll most likely happen again.

unless it’s just overpacked with grease? @EsPeGe Have you pulled it apart? Or wait for bike shop to have a crack

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Giant will replace the wheel like for like. If they do replace it’ll most likely happen again.

unless it’s just overpacked with grease? @EsPeGe Have you pulled it apart? Or wait for bike shop to have a crack
His local in Tahmoor did even though he bought it from Pushys in canberra who have been absolutely shit. The dropper failed after 2 weeks. He contacted Pushys and they said not their fault blah blah blah that they had checked everything and it was fine. His local pulled it out and found the dropper was most likely one that had been returned already and hadn't been re-assembled correctly. When told this, Pushys then said well seeing as you've pulled it apart its your own fault!!!! they are so fucked. Anyway his local has been awesome. He got it warrantied as well as took a wheel straight off a bike in the store and put it on even though my mate had bought the bike in Canberra. And just in case I hadn't mentioned, he had no choice but to buy from Pushy's cos he's a big bastard and that was literally the last XL Reign 2 29er in the country until at least March.

Anyway I digress here is the hub. You can clearly see how the bottom 3 pawls have just sheared flat. Joel is a big unit so we will def look at upgrading in the future.