Question for dh racers...

ELX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys...
Im heading out to brookfield on sunday to photograph the race, just wondering how you guys feel about the use of flash on cameras shooting you while your practicing/racing? I know some sports people get the shits when you use flash cos obviously it can be distracting. Just wanted to get some opinions of actual riders. If your wondering why flash would even be needed during the day, its just for the action freezing ability of the burst - wouldn't have images like this amazing one with out it... http://www.farkin.net/showimage/40979de9a4.jpg

Cheers guys

CAM

Likes Dirt
for me its never been too much of a problem, i notice them going off sometimes in practice when having a cruisy run but rarely ever been put off by a flash. I think its necessary in some situations to use flash to get a nice shot... if you are reasonably mindful of how your using it and its not a stupidly powerful one and your popping up right in peoples faces, it should be fine. make sure you post up the details of how to get a hold of your pics after the race, see you there :)

motormtb

Likes Dirt
I myself never even notice flashes going off and if you are going to be taking photos like that who gives a crap.I know i would like to see photos of me of that standard.
Maybe pm 24alpha as he takes a lot of race photos(also runs mtbpicsonline) and i'm sure he would be more than happy to give you a heads up.Keep up the excellent work.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Hey guys...
Im heading out to brookfield on sunday to photograph the race, just wondering how you guys feel about the use of flash on cameras shooting you while your practicing/racing? I know some sports people get the shits when you use flash cos obviously it can be distracting. Just wanted to get some opinions of actual riders. If your wondering why flash would even be needed during the day, its just for the action freezing ability of the burst - wouldn't have images like this amazing one with out it... http://www.farkin.net/showimage/40979de9a4.jpg

Cheers guys
Hi ELX,

The number of flashes used by Sven Martin to get that shot would have been a few. And most riders WILL notice you using that many. A flash on the camera or off camera I consider to be fine, any more and you're over doing it.
We do hear of complaints from parents about the use of flash photography, but it's never been directed at us. And be aware of the little tackers, they tend to get excited when they see the flash go off and like to crash afterwards...lol. But riders need to get use to it if they want to go pro, just look at the clips from the world cup and see the flashes going off when the riders have their runs.
Just remember, riders like to see pics of themselves, and noone will mind a flash going off if they get a good pic.

Cheers

Hux

Last edited:

samsty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
At the last race that we ran I had parents complaining that there were people using flashes on their cameras. It's very hard to control for the event organisers.. But, as Hux said maybe try to cut back on the use of flashes for the younger riders as they are the ones that will be distracted by it..

As for the more experienced riders go for it. You don't really take notice of flashes when you are focusing on riding the track.

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
At the last race that we ran I had parents complaining that there were people using flashes on their cameras. It's very hard to control for the event organisers.. But, as Hux said maybe try to cut back on the use of flashes for the younger riders as they are the ones that will be distracted by it..

As for the more experienced riders go for it. You don't really take notice of flashes when you are focusing on riding the track.
He's right, ive done one open day and brooky is gonna be my first race. So if anyone has the little experience and can give you an answer on behalf of the newer, more prone to crashing guys, its me. I saw tons of flashes at illinbah open day, looked directly at a few when they were a slow section just for the sake of a funny photo and it really didnt distract me(apart from me wanting to look at it), but it never threw me off or made me crash, it did pump me up and i for some reason decided to try new lines that i just saw from about a metre away and skid sideways around a very light corner and then go into a jump sideways, but thats all in good fun:)

Anyway, short answer, yeh use 'em, dont use more than you need though. But if it were me, i'd crash just to see the photo of the crash.

S.

ex offender
Unless it's right in your face from less than a metre away (which has happened) it's not a problem.

If you haven't shot DHers before, a couple of other tips I'd suggest are - don't stand anywhere on the track, even if it doesn't look like anyone is riding there. You'd be surprised where some riders end up. Also don't stand anywhere where you're going to get cleaned up if a rider crashes or runs off the track. :)

steffo123

Likes Dirt
Yeh it Doesnt bother me, just stay off the track as much as possibke becuase i was very close to cleaning up one guy before and it would not have been pretty.

steffo

chuckies_here

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well if your gettting shots like them, I think no-body in the world will care.
I have never really had a problem with them.

saundo

Likes Dirt
Flashes are fine, i normally see them going off in the corner of my eye but it never worries me. Provided you are not being as loud as the plyet boys (any one who has been to a race and pylet has been there will know what i mean) and then flashing a rider you should be fine.

J

JaRedy

You should be getting the gist that nobody minds it. and When I see a flash it usually motivates me to go faster:p so bring it on.

I've used a preety powerful flash before and not many people minded it...

But as said before, riders like to see pictures of themselves so I'm sure everyone will love you for it. Are you going to post them up post race?

McSweeney

Likes Dirt
You should be getting the gist that nobody minds it. and When I see a flash it usually motivates me to go faster:p so bring it on.

I've used a preety powerful flash before and not many people minded it...

But as said before, riders like to see pictures of themselves so I'm sure everyone will love you for it. Are you going to post them up post race?
I hope he does, i'd love one of me being the only U17 rider to faceplant the chute, unrelated(sorry bout this), what age group do you race in Raging-hippo?

J

JaRedy

I hope he does, i'd love one of me being the only U17 rider to faceplant the chute, unrelated(sorry bout this), what age group do you race in Raging-hippo?
under 17 too...
When was this open day you were talking about?

nickmann

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's never distracted me before. IF you would get a picture of me like that I wouldn't care if it was distracting!