Question for you guys.

Linnertson

Likes Bikes
Im not from Australia so this question my be dumb, or just plain ignorant. But how often do you guys come across venemous snakes/spiders etc.. Anyone have any stories?

I would be afraid to dig trails or flip over logs. Hell I would be scared to crash off the side of a trail and just out of bad luck land on a rattle snake.

I can go in the woods and do whatever here in the states. Nothing venemous that you would come across.

Dan
i wouldn't be too worried about landing on a rattlesnake in australia, an inland taipan maybe which is the most venomous

Zac Mac

Likes Bikes
yer
the big foot see them all of the time
i also see jackals
iorn horses near the blue mountains
but we dont have many rattel snakes in aus
we have alens rattel snakes they can be scary

Jack122

Banned
right now its abit cold to see snakes:D, but me and my mate, penguin, disturbed a Bull Ant nest and we got pretty badly bitten. Also when i was pulling a log apart for a jump i came across about three Red Backs:eek:, not cool.

Jack122

C.H.B

Likes Dirt
don't come across many when riding because im ussually making noise. when i am fishing i see them quite often as they don't hear you coming because you move very quietly
Djrider,.....dude i have to agree with you about the fishing, i do abit of fly fishing around Ebor(near armidale) and you have to move very slow and quiet to sneak up on the big trout, ive actually stood on a red belly black ,but it was very cold so the snake just slithered off .Ive had more near misses with snakes whilst fishing than i care to remember(one slithered over my legs once
when i fell on it)
However riding is different, usually the snakes hear you comming and get
out of the road. If you do ride over a snake they usually freak and just try to get away(ive ridden over two whip snakes this year and they were more scared than me). Any of you dudes commin' over from the states to ride our
trails , dont worry about snakes too much ,just show them a bit of respect
and keep well away from them. if you do end up close to a snake just move
away slowly from them(never run or they will possibly strike at you)
beware the drop bears tho' one of my mates had his head chewed off...:D

jamis7

Likes Dirt
yeah i find that as long as you dont stop while doing dh they have no chance of hitting you. ive heard of a few stories where xc riders have been hit though that would be fairly freaky ecspeacially if you where riding on your own. but yeah dh woooooooow.:D

voice

Banned
yeah i find that as long as you dont stop while doing dh they have no chance of hitting you. ive heard of a few stories where xc riders have been hit though that would be fairly freaky ecspeacially if you where riding on your own. but yeah dh woooooooow.:D
i never come across snakes but a few spiders

Lach Dog

Cannon Fodder
snake gap

It really isn't all that often that you will come across a snake while your riding, thats what i thought up until last summer.... Me and my mate josh were out hitting a couple of single trails when coming over a crest a nice fat tiger snake had parked it's self, it was to late to hit the brakes so a hop was the only option. I made it over, and quickly looked back only to see josh about to do the same thing, when the snake got a fright and lunged at his wheel. This in turn scared the crap out of josh and sent me into histerics, luckily he kept his wheel and sketched his way over the snake. All good thought snake was fine and josh was josh was amped. This was the only time i've ever seen a snake while out riding or digging.

heath_92

Banned
I live on a farm towards gippsland so i am very used to snakes but my tips are

*clears throat*

1. Don't ride over them, they have a habit of hooking to your wheel and getting flung at you.

2. If you find youself close to one back away slowly but keep your eyes on the barsted.

3. Don't be afraid to put your bike down and then move off cus honestly, what will he do to your bike.

4. He will probably move off if you jump up and down on the ground a couple of times but make sure you do this from a safe distance

5. Don't be afraid of killing one if it is constantly bothering you but if you are just out for a bike ride and its on the track there is no need to kill it. The only time when i would (and have) kill one is whenn it is near my house or somewhere i go often. ie footpath

and seriously if your gonna kill it don't run up and attack it with you goggles get a shovel and knock its head off

cheers

heath

kane h

Cannon Fodder
If you ever go riding in coastal ares gotta watch out for the 'deep sea wallabies' eh... they um will come up to 1km inland to catch and eat humans (they only eat humans) an umm yer.. watch out yer inject a poison that turns your insides to a bloodie pulp.

I got this one he waits for me out side my gate each moring while im making waffles. I get the ninjas to totaly flip out and cut his head of. but he'll be back the next day...
yea I know what you mean this one deep sea wallabie... sits out the front of my house waitong so I catch a kangaroo to school...

DC Dan

Likes Bikes
I have found that after you have had a few good sized rums drop bears seem to be popping up everywhere!

On a serious note, there isn't really anthing too dangerous in Australia if you watch where your going.

Even so, try not to sit under trees while haveing a drink with your mates... You never know what might land on you. :D

P.S: With what Heath 92 said, i don't recomend putting your bike down, a friend of mine did that and the snake lay right next to his bike for 5 minutes. :p

Last edited:
watch out

:)dont worry the snakes arnt going for riders anyway ur on a bike just run them down or wack them with a stick or somthing . spiders are everywere espesially those webs that im continuasly walking and riding through but if you look out for them you wont ride through them.

snakes on the tracks

last year while riding fox creek S.A went round a blind corner and there was a brown snake in the middle of the track after i shat myself and stopped i found it was dead found out after throwing stones at it think some smart arse put it there even tho it was dead i still gave it a wide berth at the bottom of the hill we had a great laugh cos my mate was in front of me and he did the same as me .dont see them much but you got to be aware that there out there and there deadly happy trails seppo!

RacelineBoy

Likes Dirt
yobbodave said:
last year while riding fox creek S.A went round a blind corner and there was a brown snake in the middle of the track after i shat myself and stopped i found it was dead found out after throwing stones at it think some smart arse put it there even tho it was dead i still gave it a wide berth at the bottom of the hill we had a great laugh cos my mate was in front of me and he did the same as me .dont see them much but you got to be aware that there out there and there deadly happy trails seppo!
Hahaha. Same thing happened to me twice at fox creek and a couple of time in Belair.
But the worst animal in the bush are sheep that have escaped from farms.
One time I was riding at Eagle MTB park, going pretty fast down a nice fast single-track and out of no was is this sheep. I couldn’t stop in time and therefore when of the trail and but there was a huge rock. My front wheel missed but my back.... didn’t, it was completely bent and my disk brakes ripped of. :(
Ended up costing me $300 to fix.

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
Completely depends where you are...

If your in the bush trying to make a trail or something, again depending on the area you could see 1 - 15 snakes in a day. Spiders are common but what are they gonna do, none of them really jump onto you and bite you.

If its a snake and its pissed off, eg all stood up and shit try to look bigger or more intimidating but dont make any noise and slowly walk backwards or if the snake is 10 metres away or so and there is a big rock or stick nearby grab it strait away just incase it decides to come at you... Thats my technique anyway, ive killed a few big red belly blackss

Dymalla

Likes Dirt
:)dont worry the snakes arnt going for riders anyway ur on a bike just run them down or wack them with a stick or somthing . spiders are everywere espesially those webs that im continuasly walking and riding through but if you look out for them you wont ride through them.
Ahaha, it depends what snake...
My dads mate got bitten by some type of venomous snake that was sitting on the side of the highway and he went past with his arm out the window of his land cruiser at about 120km/h and got bitten. If they are scared they will either run away or try to protect themselves by biting you. If you have pants on and leg guards or something thick on your legs you can probably just run them over, or just lift your legs up when you ride over them cos they will probably think the bike is as much alive as you and just try to bite into straight metal =]

rideabike

Likes Bikes
That time of year again...

Well I guess it's that time of year again; I was out riding Mt Stromlo today (similiar to the red xc loop of the Scott 24 hour) and just as I started to descend, about 300m into it, I ran over a live Brown Snake.

Holy Crap it scared the s?it out of me. I saw it start to slither across the track and realised what it was, but couldnt stop in time and hit it at about 3/4 across its length. Lucky it didn't turn and bite me, as I had shorts on, and anklet socks. Got to the next fire road and was shaking: My first snake experience on a bike.

This led me to think however, if I did get bitten, I would have been pretty screwed as your supposed to stay still once you do and I was a good 5km from the base car park. Guess its another good reason to ride in at least pairs.

Here's a good link regarding some of our nasties:
http://www.avru.org/general/general_animals.html

Last edited: