Quick decision on wheels

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Hi I was going to get CRC to build a rear wheels with XT hub, plain guage spokes and Mavic XC717 (or maybe 819) rims BUT their custom mtb wheel page is still off line. I assume it is related to the flood.

It is for my Giant Trance, I wiegh 90kg and mainly to trail riding around Stromlo and MAjura. I like the odd small jump - think beginner downhill or berm track at Stromlo.

I need to put the order in with my brother and think I now need to commit to a factory wheel today. Budget is less than $200 and it needs to be 6 bolt.

Considering:
Mavic CrossRide Disc 2008 AU$ 123

Any other suggestions for a pre-built wheel from CRC?

Last edited:

a.davis12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do not get a mavic wheel!
any bets it will die and you wont be able to repair it.
check in the bargain wheels section, you might find something there.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
Crossride

Not really keen to get the Crossrides but my old wheel is shagged, and I don't want to spend much. I can ride on the back of my brother's order and get the wheel delivered for free - which makes them very attractive price wise.

Also thinking of the factory XT wheel and just buying a centrelock rotor. Cost will be about $270.

Wish their custom wheels available now NOW NOW

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
What's actually wrong with the wheel. It might be cheaper just getting the replacement part and getting the wheel rebuilt.

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
I have a problem with the freewheel on my rear hub. It is a Deore hub about 5 yrs old on a Mavic F219 Rim (which I think was a heavy downhill oriented rim). There is a grating noise which only comes when the crank is not spinning. There are a few distinct clicks which cause the chain to move a little bit.

I am reluctant to spend any more money on this wheel. I have already rebuilt it once a few years ago. It is snapping spokes regularly. If I replace the freehub, I was going to use the existing rear wheel as a muck around wheel with big heavy tyres for days when I know that I will be doing more jumps.

The new wheel will be my everyday wheel for XC.

I think I am leaning towards the XT factory rear wheel with a centrelock hub.

Alternatively, I can get the XT hub and MAvic 819 rim from Phantom for $300.

Michael

BrindiCruiser

Likes Dirt
but Splined..and Avid BB7 mech

yep I thought about them too but will need to buy splined rotors - which will add to the cost. About another $60. + I just bought new Avid BB7 mech brakes and rotors - so it seems a waste not to get 6 bolt hubs.

(I assume that I could just use a wheel which has the splined rotor with my BB7s? Anyone... Anyone?)

spongebob

Likes Dirt
Have a read of the crossride reviews on CRC - people luv em' & no problems. I dont have this wheels set but have 2 other mavic sets that are fine. The rear hubs are only average - a 2 pawl system with a slowish engagement- and they need regular internal clean/lube, but this is an easy job with simple tools. Only cost issue is replacing the Mavic specific spokes, which I haven't had to do but I believe is quite expensive in this country.
The XT/819 option is a beauty - I am >100kg & have this specific combination on a 5" trail bike & it is a very strong combo. Plus it is tubeless - hooray! For a 90kg rider who is edging toward 'all mountain' this is a great option if you can afford it.Could be in the post tomorrow....

parker93

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just for the record, CRC have moved there wheel-building factory to a new location and it should be back up by next week sometime.

zaccyboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I checked it today and it is working except for some of them.
For example you can't build a hope pro II wheelset because the hubs are sold out.

Rutter

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I checked it today and it is working except for some of them.
For example you can't build a hope pro II wheelset because the hubs are sold out.
to bad they have every hope pro 2 in stock, bar a couple of colours