Race essentials

bighit james

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,
I am just starting to put a race kit together for the next upcoming nationals and i was wondering what other people include in this, spare wheels etc..
Cheers

kidafa

Likes Dirt
Hangers are a must... ill llist my kit:
2 hangers
atleast one of each frame bearing
fork oil seals
2 tubes
brake bleeding gear
O rings and fork rebuild gear
spare rotor and adaptor to suit
zip ties
brake pads
all bike tools
rear shock bushings
spare derailure
derailure cable
brakeclean
isoprly alchol

and a couple of small bits and pieces otherwise I Think thats it?

rickazz

Likes Dirt
kidafa said:
Hangers are a must... ill llist my kit:
2 hangers
atleast one of each frame bearing
fork oil seals
2 tubes
brake bleeding gear
O rings and fork rebuild gear
spare rotor and adaptor to suit
zip ties
brake pads
all bike tools
rear shock bushings
spare derailure
derailure cable
brakeclean
isoprly alchol

and a couple of small bits and pieces otherwise I Think thats it?
that is a pretty big kit for taking to a race.
the essentials i take is....

bike
helmet
shin gaurds
gloves

but then again if i had all them things that you have i would probly take them aswell

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
At the very minimum take a spare set of gloves (in case it gets wet), a spare tyre (in case you cut a sidewall), tube, hanger and a shifting cable. That will solve most issues you could have. Obviously, if you can afford to have a spare wheelset, shifter and derailleur then they'd help too.

Currently i take a set of spare tyres, old derailleur and shifter as well as cables (inner and outer), spare pedals and a chain, as well as a spare race kit (everything except helmet). There are guys who take more and some who take less, but at the end of the day it's up to you what you take.

Last edited:

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I take:

A tool box with anything I need to fix any part on my bike.
Tubes.
Tape.

Haven't had a problem so far. I don't have enough money to buy a lot of spares, so I just take what is most likely to get ruined/lowest cost.

Habiby

Likes Dirt
i wear this everywhere i ride

helmet
gloves
shinnes
t shirt
undies
shorts
sock
shoes
goggles

and take
all tools eg, spoke tensioner, spanner, allen keys, levers, sand papper, nail polish and other random stuff
deruailer cable
old derailer (shimano)
shifter (as is it shimano, running sram)
3 tubes
spare tyre
first aid kit
rag, maybe pure alcahol(for brakes lol)
and a whole lot of other stuff

oh yer, i always bring a smile

Big_Al

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well.....
an ESKY full of bear and water covered in ice. a portable BBQ. snags and steak. plenty of soft drink...

nah jokes^^^
If im correct there will be BBQ there thanks to the Ward family again. yay them.
I would take. all the nesecary tools for your bike. Grease. Lube.
Spare tubes. Riding gear. First aid Kit. lollies and stuff what ever you want on the day.

i hope its a good day
Al

down_hillbilly

Likes Dirt
Well i take my armour including helmet goggles gloves, shinnies, and 661 pressure suit. I also carry hex keys, spoke tensioner, pump, and all the basic size spanners and a set of tubes are aways an essential. And a wallet with money in it to buy food and drinks. Cheers :D

ferg

Likes Dirt
for me since theres 4x at most races this season and i will be goin in that aswell as dh my 4x bike can be used for spare bits if needed (have same brakes, cranks, drivetrain, etc. on both) but on top of that will take spare hanger tubes and set of race tires and then tools. also for most races for me i will be having to fly to them so for me to not carry to many spares will be handy.

kidafa

Likes Dirt
ferg just get a mass tol box, mosty airlines are chilled with you flying with it and dont charge extra for it, make sure it is taped shut but not locked as customs may whant to have a peep inside

ferg

Likes Dirt
yeh but reckon i would be pushing my luck considering i will be taking one big bag for armour clothes etc then 2 bike boxes and then a bag for the flight and my helmet. plus then i have to luck a tool box around aswell

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
I'v compiled a list for when i go racing, here it is:

Stuff that you wear:
Helmet
Gloves x2
Goggles x2
Riding shorts
spare short for car
jumper
singlet
jersey
armor
kneepads
shoes x2
beanie (if it's cold)
pair of socks x3

bike parts:
Actaul bike
chain
derailer
hangers
bearings
shock bushings
brake pads
derailer rollers
chainguide rollers
spare nuts and bolts for everything
axels
bottom bracket
bb cups
lots of cable
spare shifter
tires
tubes x whateve room i have left
mech. disc brake

to fix bike:
pretty much any tool you'll ever need cept for thiings liek a bb facing tool.
tonnes of zippies
duct tape
elec. tape

Other stuff:
tiedowns and old tubes (car journeys)
trailer lock
bike lock
garbage bags x15
hot water in flask
cuppa soups
spare water
RACE LICENCE
camera
bike rack

that's about it really. Pretty big list. I'll add more as i remember them. I just do state races though, so I'm not traveling by plane.

arpit

Banned
dh maniac, wow, that list is.... large. I'm going to a race tomorrow. I'm taking my bike, some araldite, a couple of spanners, a spoke key and tyre fixing stuff. Also I'm taing some body armour and water. I can't find my allen key but I figure I can borrow someone's if the need arises.

Speaking of which, for those who are catching planes, why can't you just rely on being able to borrow some tools from friendly bikers at your destination?

That said, i completely understand why your lists are extensive. If you have taken the trouble to organise flights, It'd be a shame to have oyur trip ruined by a mechanical.