Race Face Cranks/Warranty questions.

castillo

Likes Dirt
Good evening.
I recently bent my OEM race face atlas FR cranks which come stock on the 2009 Glory DH1. It was fairly new and I don't ride hard/heavy so I was a bit upset when they bent so badly I was unable to pedal (they fouled on the LG1).
I've taken it back to my LBS (who are awesome and are doing all they can), and the importers of Race Face have taken the cranks away.
Its been like this for around a week now, and I realise that these things take time. I was just doing research in the meantime, and have found that Race Face's warranty department seem to be very difficult and don't seem to want to warranty anything (if the rumours are true). It seems by what their site says that the cranks have to be sent back to Canada for them to inspect them, so they obviously don't trust their "trusted dealer networks" to make a judgement. Either way it seems I'm going to be without cranks for several weeks, which just just f***ing awesome.
I would have thought MTB cranks would be similar to BMX cranks, in that there is a lifetime warranty NO QUESTIONS ASKED. It doesn't matter if you didn't buy them brand new, you are running their brand of cranks and if they're confident in their own product's ability, they'd warranty is regardless. I'm no engineer but I think BMX cranks are subjected to more abuse than a MTB crank due to their rigid mounting.

My first question is, should I be hopeful with the warranty claim, or am I going to have to go without cranks for weeks only to have to shell out more money for something else? My second question, what are my other options cranks-wise? I would lean towards saints, I guess I don't care if I pay a bit more at the time for hassle-free set and forget cranks.
Thanks for your help.

(I am by no means trying to bag out Race Face, their importer, or my LBS which I <3 ).

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Had a problem with my X-type BB on my DH bike when I got it new, basically the drive side bearing died after a week, and I hadn't even done a DH run yet!! Man I was gutted, luckily I took it to the shop, they called the Race Face rep and he said they could put a new BB on..which they did. So I got away easily, luckily, and only had my bike out of action for about 2 days (the time it took to get to the shop) and haven't had a problem since.

I don't know how you'll go with your case, I'm just trying to be positive about their reputation (to me at least) hopefully there are other people who can testify that they're good to deal with too..

MARKL

Eats Squid
Can't comment on the warranty Dept but goodluck!

When it comes to cranks just buy Shimano - I have XT, Saint and 105 (roadie) and a set of crap Raceface cranks off an 08 Reign whose only function is to to fill up a box and hold three chainrings together. My mountain bikes run SRAM everywhere else to.

But remember Raceface make much cooler jersey's than Shimano and thats important :cool:

DW-1

Dirt Works
Good evening.
I recently bent my OEM race face atlas FR cranks which come stock on the 2009 Glory DH1. I've taken it back to my LBS (who are awesome and are doing all they can), and the importers of Race Face have taken the cranks away. Its been like this for around a week now, and I realise that these things take time. I was just doing research in the meantime, and have found that Race Face's warranty department seem to be very difficult and don't seem to want to warranty anything (if the rumours are true). It seems by what their site says that the cranks have to be sent back to Canada for them to inspect them,
Sorry to hear about your cranks. Just to clear up some misconception though:

1) the cranks don't go to Canada. We inspect them here (in Sydney). We have full authority to make calls on warranty matters.

2) UPDATE (9.54am): Cranks received in house this morning!

(the warranty manager is checking it out now for you)

FURTHER UPDATE (10.21am): Warranty approved. Cranks on their way to your dealer. (and you'll be receiving the limited edition gunmetal colour www.raceface.com/remoteImages/comp/73_c.jpg)

Elvis.

Last edited:

Jonny26

Likes Dirt

1) the cranks don't go to Canada. We inspect them here (in Sydney). We have full authority to make calls on warranty matters.

FURTHER UPDATE (10.21am): Warranty approved. Cranks on their way to your dealer. (and you'll be receiving the limited edition gunmetal colour www.raceface.com/remoteImages/comp/73_c.jpg)

Elvis.
Great to see you guys on the ball!

Edit: Those cranks look sexy as... Want to send me some? :)

Last edited:

castillo

Likes Dirt
Wow, that's awesome thanks man! Bike shop said I should be riding tomorrow. I really appreciate your speedy response :)

MARKL

Eats Squid

Elvis.
Elvis thats awesome, I'm glad to see you guys are backing your product and following through. Colour looks cool to:)