Race Face Evolve Crank Extraction???

funky

Likes Dirt
Hello.

A quick question, about extracting Race Face Evolve Cranks...

My bottom bracket (external type) is stuffed and I want to replace, but can't get the cranks off. The Race Face website just says you can pull them off (well that's what I think it says, it's not 100% clear). But the buggers won't budge.

Am I doing it right? Is there a crank puller or something for them?

Happy New Year.

thepotatokid

Likes Dirt
mate, the drive side crank for the evolve cranks has a self extracting bolt in the centre. So as you turn the bolt on the drive side, it separates itself from the the other part of the crank - you take off the drive side part, and then you can pull the other bit through the other side (which generally requires a little gentle assistance from a piece of wood and a hammer).

hope this helps...

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
The drive side of the crank has an 8mm hex socket inside a 10mm hex socket. Use an 8mm hex wrench to back out the inner bolt ie turn it clockwise. The outer bolt/cap is reverse threaded, so you need a 10mm hex wrench turned clockwise to loosen it, but you won't need to worry about that just yet.

tu plang

knob
The drive side of the crank has an 8mm hex socket inside a 10mm hex socket. Use an 8mm hex wrench to back out the inner bolt ie turn it clockwise. The outer bolt/cap is reverse threaded, so you need a 10mm hex wrench turned clockwise to loosen it, but you won't need to worry about that just yet.
That would be anti-clockwise.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes 8mm allen tool & turn anti-clockwise to extract drive side crank.
(you know the rule, do up towards the front of the bike & undo towards the back - this applies for both sides).

It may take a fair bit of force to undo the bolt if it's the first time you've done it.
I find holding the allen key with a cloth helps or you may want to get something for extra leverage if your allen doesn't have a long handle.

tmarsh

Likes Dirt
D'oh! Somewhere between brain and keyboard the 'anti-' got lost. Thanks for the pickup.

tu plang

knob
Yes 8mm allen tool & turn anti-clockwise to extract drive side crank.
(you know the rule, do up towards the front of the bike & undo towards the back - this applies for both sides).
Crank bolts are always right hand threads, whether drive or non-drive so its always clockwise to tighten and anticlockwise to loosen.

what you have said is correct for pedal threads.

Pebble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oh:eek: I knew the rule was for pedals, I thought it was the same for cranks - well obviously it applies to the race face drive side crank but not others then!
I'll keep that in mind, and thanks for the correction!

tu plang

knob
Oh:eek: I knew the rule was for pedals, I thought it was the same for cranks - well obviously it applies to the race face drive side crank but not others then!
I'll keep that in mind, and thanks for the correction!
No problem. It's the pedals and BB cups that have the reverse threads. LH pedal is LH (reverse) thread and RH BB cup is LH thread.