DNM rear shock
HFX 9 brakes
Alex rims ESD25 double walled
Michelin tyres
V12 pedals
Shimano Deore Drive train
Truvativ 3 piece crank and chain Guide
Titec Hell Bent bars and stem

Wanting to know what they ride like? Frame wise (components all upgradeable)? are they a good beginners DH bike? Is if its worth buying from a mate for the frame forks! and upgrading?

I herd the rear shocks are useless?

Thanks
Mitchell

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I must say I have never even heard of them. Ill do some resarch and get back.

joy boy

Likes Dirt
What year model is it mate? I started on an '02 Raceline EXT Pro, and it was a very good bike. It was very reliable and as a beginner I wasn't riding quite as smooth, and this bike put up with it. However, I did get a lot of seat buzz and I'm not sure if it was the frame or if it was the shock. Also, the bike was very...very heavy. I could barely lift it when I started as I was only a kid. Just make sure that it's all set up right, have good components and it should be right.

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
hi guys thanks for all of the positive feedback.

I will find out a year tomorrow! But i know its red if that is a model specific colour?

I have got a trance x and Raceline rhino trials bike. So not new in the biking scene, but want to try a DH bike and was thinking could i find a better way to start?

Thanks

mad greek

Likes Dirt
The red one is circa 2001 or so. It's an old design, and from what I can recall they didn't ride so well either.

If you're looking at something of that era why not look at a Giant ATX series? I have an old frame which still rides awesome, and you can get around 7 inches of travel out of them if you get a new shock. They're also almost indestructible too

Hope this sorta helps.

Cheers,
Theo

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
Hi,

the only reason i am going for it is that its a couple of hundred bucks and owned by a mate.

Is the red frame really worse? did they revise it for the more current models?

Thanks
Mitchell

For a couple of hundred bucks (providing there's no major damage to the bike already) it's not a bad starting point as far as 2nd hand beginner DH bikes go, and let's face it you'll probably have got your money's worth out of it by the end of summer. Just make sure the suspension still works properly- the DNM stuff is, well, pretty ordinary on a good day- and check for linkage play (finding another linkage kit could be difficult). If you nurse it along by regularly checking that the linkage is still tight (as you should be with any DH bike), and the running gear and susp. remains intact, you might even be able to get 12mths+ out of it.

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
they snap. pieces of crap in my opinion
Is that the giant or the Raceline!

Your right a linkage kit might be hard to come by!

Arnt the DNM forks meant to be tops, Very stable, stiff and 180mm travel? The only down side is there weight! (thats what i have read from MTBR)

Thanks

mad greek

Likes Dirt
I found the majority of the rear shocks on the Racelines weren't too bad, given the age of the bikes. I must say though, I didn't like the feel of the USD180's.. They felt very awkward for some reason. I'd only ridden on 2 different bikes though, so maybe yours is different.

For a couple of hundred dollars though, it'd be a great starter bike for sure.

Cheers,
Theo

mevanz

Squid
Oi,
I got an '06 Raceline extreme pro dh frame off ebay (brand new supposedly) with a manitou swinger rear shock for 400bucks. Im not sure what comes standard. Anyway I got the guys at the bike shed mortdale (sydney- downhill bike shop) to put a build kit from a 2008 norco atomik on there for a grand, so essentially got a brand new downhill bike for $1400. By far the best bike Ive ridden- only thing that has needed replacing was the derailluer hanger when I wiped out on the thredbo downhill track. Anyone know who actually makes the bike though? Raceline obviously...but do they have a parent company or a website? haven't been able to find anything concrete.

vgisit

Likes Bikes
I bought a Raceline Extreme Pro XC in 2000. It was a red frame. It was my first dually and it was OK for Downhill. A bit heavy for an XC bike.
I wouldn't use it now though. Make sure it's the Downhill version and not the XC one I had.

It had RST forks and disks which were pretty bad. Overall pretty strong bike for a lighter rider. For 200 bucks its a good start. I paid $2000 for mine when new.

Raceline's were made in NZ i think. I think they were owned by Apollo.