Racing getting lost

barnesy

Likes Dirt
We ran the State Champs MTNX on the weekend and as you guys may or may not know, numbers were down. It used to be that Farkin was a good place publicise a race meet, but it seems there is so much dribble ( What colour forks do you like?, How do you like my new bike?, Should I wear a jock strap when riding? etc etc etc )
That it now means people come on Farkin can't see anything about racing and assume it's not on. It gets buried in crap.
What's the possibility that we have a RACING ONLY section or moving the club stuff up the page a little. You guys seem to worship our elite riders overseas but remember they ain't going to last foreever so we should be producing some new ones! We can't do that if race details are buried down the bottom beneath a whole heap of dribble.
This view was supported by a number of parents I spoke to on the weekend who said the details were hard to find on Farkin as to what was going on. With some of them ditching the site and going elsewhere for info.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I have to agree, some of the race threads do get that way. It all part of the participation though and it is up to the individual who is posting to not clog the thread with crap.
I have tried to make all of the relevant info on a race in the first post of the thread. If new info comes along I edit my original post and add it so people can get the low down in the first post. It doesn't take too much effort and it is beneficial.
I think there is more discussion on the forums about local racing than there is on our riders overseas. Farkin is a great place for MTB racing discussion.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Valid point guys; it's been raised with the grand poobah and he tells us that something is in the works. Stay tuned!:)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yeah i have to agree.
There is too much trivial waffle about should I be given a pink $99 hardtail for my birthday + do you think i will look cool racing downhill at Yackandandah .
and some of the extended e arguments get in the way.
We definitely need a racing/events section for those of us that actually ride + dont sit on our arses wanking on the computer.

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
I'm on it. I have plans for a major section of farkin dedicated to Racing. Promotion, news, results etc. I'll post some ideas for the section in the near future. I do agree, once upon a time it was simple to promote a race since there wasn't that many threads or news posts. Times change and the site needs to be adapted to that.