Racing in the Rain Discussion

sich nich

Likes Dirt
Hey yall,
On the weekend racing Newtons Nation DH, waking up to the sound of rain had my mind goin flat out thinking about ways to go better at riding in the wet, ie things you can do on top of practise in the rain all the time, ie tricks of the racing trade.
I did the obvious things like throw the spikes on, neogaurd on the fork, had tearoff goggle ready to go, etc. all these things help heaps, but I know I for one got beaten in that race by dudes without this stuff, hats off to them.

Lets list and discuss the tricks and stuff for making racing in the rain more enjoyable and/or less painful (i loved it, just hate the aftermath, washing V10 etc).

Most important thing I thought I should have was a tent at my car, somewhere out of the rain to chillax in between runs, get changed after race, not have rain pouring into open car doors etc.

Props to Flynny and the crew for the sick race as usual.

AMBURGERS

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pretty much the best thing you can do is to just go riding in the rain more so you gain more experience with it.

Gee80

Squid
When I race DH along time ago, one of my tricks was have a dry, clean, fresh set of gloves for the race run, there was nothing better. Also a front mud guard was sweet, the goggles stay clear and tear off were not needed.

kona_kona

Likes Dirt
Trick 1: Don't be a softcock.

You're going to get dirty as so don't bother fighting it.

If you pay to race, it's pretty poor form to just bail and not tell the organisers that you're pulling out. Also just plain sooking out because you didn't want to get your precious bike dirty is super lame.

I was a bit bummed out by the rain and I was pretty cranky after my first practice in the mud yesterday but throw a freaking rain coat on, chuck on some more tear offs and just suck it up. Shit happens so ride on.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I noticed Jill practicing with dry tyres. She said it was to get use to sliding and then she planned to switch to spikes for race run.

Might be something to it

I remember an interview with Sam after a wet world cup where he dominated early in his senior year. Commentator ask how the hell he pulled such a time He said "The other guys backed off a bit cause it was wet, I just rode like it was dry."
It's a mind set.

A lot of riders are so focused on staying up right in the tricky bits they forget to pedal and let it flow where they can.

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Train in the rain.

Ride like its dry.
Have the mind set of going fast and pinning, not trying to stay up right.
also v10, really? Have a less travel bike for this situation, because v10 in the mud can equate too v16 which would slow you down.

Jeebadheebis

Likes Bikes
Riding in the rain is absolute fun! Every time it rains in the area me and a mate grab our gear and try to get out riding. Its extra traction and more fun than dry. its off the brakes for some sections of the tracks where little brakes are needed

floody

Wheel size expert
I think theres two main approaches that work.

Banzai! hit everything flat out, back it into corners, use a bit of sideways to scrub speed rather than getting hard on the brakes, rely on speed to carry you across greasy stuff.

The smart way. A bit slower, but conserve momentum and energy, brake less but early, square off corners, pick clean lines, keep your pedalling and aggressive riding for the sections which demand it/have enough grip.

And of course riding more in the rain helps. But I think somewhere between the two above approaches works. The other thing is as noted, a lot of the time there is MORE grip to be had if you are clever with your line choice. Due diligence needs to be used with roots and rocks but a lot of topsoils, berms etc will become tackier or let your tyres really bite in for some grip.

Nostalgia...
Back in the day, lol, the bulk of the major races at least were conducted right into winter. It all changed at the end of 90s to try and free up the Northern summer for the OS racers. We all got a LOT more experience in the mud back then. (well, in the more southerly states, obviously will be slightly inverse for the QLD'ers)

Last edited:

mty10@

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keep it smooth.

Stay light on anything but flat ground.

Stay loose - your bike will shift and slide, go with it.

Get your breaking done early and the DONT TOUCH THEM.

Keep your corners even (dont accelerat untill you are well out, dont try funky high/low lines, keep the radius even)

Have a spare pare of gloves at the top for your race run.

tape an onld lense/bit of juice carton to the end of your peak to extend it, keeps more rain off.

Run a peice of tube between the fork crowns and headset, stops you getting sprayed as much.

DONT CHANGE ANYTHING ON YOUR BIKE APART FROM TIRES and TYRE PRESSURES - this will only make you have to get used to another thing.

Don't think about whic bits are slippery, focus on the bits that arnt.

MAN THE FUCK UP - Ride it like its dry.

Puppet Master

Likes Dirt
Waterproof Socks! Seriously, keep your feet warm and dry (sealskins is the brand I use) Spare shoes would be good too

Waterproof Pants and jacket If you're dry you feel heaps better, and like other have said spare gloves, I have enough spares for 3 per day, (I'm a Pom so used to race in the wet ALL the time)

Sounds obvious but don;t brake on rocks or roots... or off cambers etc. you WILL lock up and slide.

Maxxis Swamp things are about the best mud tyres unless it's a proper grassy mudfest, that's when you go for the spikes, I only ever used spikes twice in 8 years of racing in Wales, Scotland and England.

Other than that a fender ( or tube between bottom crown and fork brace) and tear offs