Racing

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Hey Girls, I've had one of the mountain biking clubs contact me regarding racing. They have been watching the new girls site and would love to know what you all think.

They would like to know two things:

1. Why are there not more girls interested in racing of any sort - downhill, mtnx or xc?

2. What would make it more enticing for girls to race?

Thanks we would all be interested in your views. :)

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
welll
1.- I beleive alot of girls are intimidated by sports that are male dominated.
- They arnt advertised as being "girl" sports to
- There isnt enoough EASILY accessable information. (i experienced this problem)
-it seemed that in high school it became uncool to do sports:confused: im glad im nota sheep haha
-xc-takes alot of fitness, mtnx+dh take guts, some people dont have or want either.

2.Well I guess just a race were the girls side has been promoted?
maybe more of a beginners race then anything else, as i know alot of begginers are intimidated by the word "race" it just screams nerve racking.

Womens ride days are a great idea, get them away from the intimidating men, introduce them to the world of rideinh, then tuffen them up and chuk emin a race:p

But this is just what ive noticed down here south!

Mandy

Likes Bikes
1. Why are there not more girls interested in racing of any sort - downhill, mtnx or xc?

I dont think mountain biking particular womens mountain biking is recognised as a sport. Many people do not even realise mountain biking is an olympic sport. We really need to promote the sport to get more girls interested in it and increased race numbers will follow. I plan on being ready to race by winter next year. I think every girl i have spoken to races or is going to race soon so its not a matter of us not choosing to race just theres not enough girls out there riding!

As above really, i reckon just about any girl who rides would be willing to ride. Perhaps if some clubs hold girls day on the tracks kind of days that would promote it more too. Even if we brought along friends who arnt into riding and they came out too, never know they might fall in love!.

TerraNik

Likes Dirt

I think part of it may be that we're intimidated by the talented guys out there riding!! For me I know that's true - I think I wouldn't face up to the challenge of a race and am a little intimidated. I don't think i'm any good at all!! But I know that all I have to do is give it a go, so I'm slowly building up the courage!! Though I suppose there is a good thing about only have a few girls racing... At least you get a place even if you're last!! *joke*

I think maybe some learn-to-race days... For even both guys and girls I think would be beneficial. It'd be good to have something that covers topics like knowing what to expect and practicing some skills that would benefit you in a race (e.g starts, pacing, etc). If they held a day where you could practice on the track, have a few 'mock' races that were really casual and gave you an idea of what would happen, I would feel much more comfortable giving racing a go - so I can only assume that other girls feel the same way.

Gabe_88

Squid
i agree with all of the above but nik's learn-to-race idea i think is awesome... it would also give girls and all guys just learning the guts to try new things and have confidence... i no for me cofindence plays a massive part... watching the guys race at friday nights all i think is i would never be able to beat them, but i have heard if i do start to race the guys would occasionly let me win.. lol...

great ideas!!!

osmund

Squid
I personally find discussions around women and sport uptake (and the lack of) quite interesting. In a very over-simplified way, some research has suggest that there is a lack of female role models in sport, this is prepetuated by the media not giving women's sport coverage which leads to young women in general becoming dis-interested in sports (except for those who love it). I know this is very generalised, sorry.

On a personal level, I don't feel the need to be competitive. I just like riding my bike for fun. I am going in my first XC race this weekend and have never felt the need before.

btw, what is mtnx? how does it differ from xc?

For me, getting into a new sport, I like a comfortable environment where I know there won't be too much testosterone. So usually I try to find a women's only training group or something similar.

I wish there were more women's only skills camps or sessions. I wasn't able to find any in my area so I am heading to Canberra for one held by CORC.

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
btw, what is mtnx? how does it differ from xc?
MtnX is VERY different to XC. MtnX (also named 4x) is similar to dirt jumping/bmx but on mountain bikes... It's usually a fairly short track (500m-ish??) where 4 riders start together and you just go as fast as you can!!

Here is the link to the UCI world championship photos - have a look at the 4x ones and you will get more of an idea.

http://www.2006rotoruamtb.com/english/gallery.php

osmund

Squid
MtnX is VERY different to XC. MtnX (also named 4x) is similar to dirt jumping/bmx but on mountain bikes... It's usually a fairly short track (500m-ish??) where 4 riders start together and you just go as fast as you can!!
thanks so much for the info and link. everything is much clearer now... :)

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Western Sydney MTB Club have in the past had 'intro to DH' days at their club track at Pacific Park. While these are open to male and female riders, at the last one they did have a female rider on hand to help the new girls out.

There are a number of skills clinics around in Sydney/Canberra. CORC (Canberra Off Road Cyclists Club) do a women only skills weekend, often booked out well in advance though. Western Sydney have the occasional girls skills days, as does MTB-Oz-Chix (mtb email list - see www.mtb-oz.com - and girls-only social rides are often advertised on this list too. Otherwise, if you don't mind learning with the boys, Cyclinic is a great option - see www.cyclinic.com.au - I attended one a couple of months ago and it was close to 50% female anyway. I think they hold these interstate as well as Sydney.

I guess this doesn't answer the question about racing. Racing is also a great way to gain skills, through pushing yourself and riding new tracks. But it's sometimes good to get some riding experience first, particularly in DH where you'll find many experienced riders on the track at the same time as you - easily off-putting. And I reckon that fitness makes a huge difference to your riding enjoyment, both in DH and XC.

Mandy

Likes Bikes
What i think would be a good idea is if someone in the know with all the skills weekends and girls days could post up about it in here we could start an events thread. Once i have all my gear id go in them all for sure!!!!

i agree with all of the above but nik's learn-to-race idea i think is awesome... it would also give girls and all guys just learning the guts to try new things and have confidence... i no for me cofindence plays a massive part... watching the guys race at friday nights all i think is i would never be able to beat them, but i have heard if i do start to race the guys would occasionly let me win.. lol...

great ideas!!!
Another great way to get to know a little more about 4X or BMX is to go along to the weekly practise nights. I go to Castle Hill BMX track most Wednesday nights, basically I am the only girl there but it is a very non threatening environment with people riding the course in a less frenzied way than on a race day. You can watch a little, ride a little, tackle particular sections of the course, practise gate starts (if you want) as well as chat to a whole bunch of very friendly guys.
From 6pm Wednesday nights..

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Yeah I've thought about having a go at the MtnX at Olympic Park coz it's just near my house, but every time I go there I just get intimidated... and freaked that I'd stack it. But I'm slowly building up the courage... But I need to really stress the word "SLOWLY". :(

Fi

Chocolate Foot
Hey we should all meet there one weekend arvo! I know a couple of other chix who'd be keen. Kim can show us a thing or two - we rode there the other weekend and you can definitely see the bmx skills!

Hey we should all meet there one weekend arvo! I know a couple of other chix who'd be keen. Kim can show us a thing or two - we rode there the other weekend and you can definitely see the bmx skills!
Sounds great! Would love to hook up but have spoken to a couple of guys this afternoon at BMX track and they tell me that the 4X track is basically unrideable at the moment due to recent rain but is going to be resurfaced in time for the National Round on Oct 21. Something to look forward to...
Hey Fi, sounds like you are itching to give that new DMR a run.:)

mtbmamma

Likes Dirt
Yeah I've thought about having a go at the MtnX at Olympic Park coz it's just near my house, but every time I go there I just get intimidated... and freaked that I'd stack it. But I'm slowly building up the courage... But I need to really stress the word "SLOWLY". :(
I rode there, SOP, a couple of Sundays ago. There were a number of young guys there including my son and a friend. I didn't feel intimidated as they were not doing the whole track, some were practicing starts, some the jumps and some other things. I have never riden MTNX and loved it and am going to give it a go at the next club meeting that I am here.

We are out there a lot as it is not far from my home and the boys just love it. Drop me a line, but not between the 23rd and the 9th of Oct as we are in Whistler, and I would love to meet any of you out there. Fi could probably teach us how to approach the jumps etc.:)

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
Well I'm DEFINATELY up for mtnx practice if you girls are going!! It's only 10-20 minute ride from my house, so I can be there with very short notice!!!! haha... But I am really keen to have a go at MtnX...

But on a side note - i'll be at the WSMTB club's MtnX club round on 24th September doing the first aid - so come and say g'day if you're going to be there!! I'm also planning on going to watch the nationals on 21st October too... We should all catch up there if anyone else is planning on going.

MtnX

i got a kona scrap with the intention of raceing MtnX although there is probably only 3 girls o race against...not realy 4X

TerraNik

But on a side note - i'll be at the WSMTB club's MtnX club round on 24th September doing the first aid

i will be there hopeing to race for the 1st time..nead some practice 1st though

TerraNik

Likes Dirt
TerraNik

But on a side note - i'll be at the WSMTB club's MtnX club round on 24th September doing the first aid

i will be there hopeing to race for the 1st time..nead some practice 1st though
Well I'll make sure to cheer you on!!!!!!!! :)