rain

skillz

Likes Dirt
does anyone leave their bikes out in the rain?
does it damage anything?
cos i ride to school and their is no bike shelter.

inlina

Likes Dirt
It shouldn't hurt it, assuming you maintain the bike. Rain will do a lot less than a cobination of mud, dust and oil. Just make sure you lube up whatever needs to be lubed when you get home (mainly the drive train).

CG

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Steel and CrMo bikes have the nasty habit of rusting out from the inside and the first thing you see are bubbles appearing under your paint... bubbles that just pop right through when you push 'em. If you happen to ride steel then a liberal wash out and slosh around the INSIDE of ALL the frame tubes with some good sticky fish oil is recommended.

CHEWY

Eats Squid
aluminuim doesnt rust. it oxydizes the outside layer or something and makes a protectiv barrier

Gonzo

Likes Dirt
It is called a passifying metal because the alumium combines with oxygen to form Al2O3 which then sticks to the surface tightly. Aluminium is not the only metal to do this, all the more reactive metals do but aluminium's layer sticks to the surface of the metal alot better than some.

Rik

logged out
Grip said:
If you happen to ride steel then a liberal wash out and slosh around the INSIDE of ALL the frame tubes with some good sticky fish oil is recommended.
:shock:
And then it takes a week just to wash the smell off your body and clothes :(

I'd seriously reccomend not leaving your bike out in the rain, even little things like derailleur pinch bolts and stem bolts will rust over time, creating headaches down the road.
My reccomendation is to get a cheap shitty BMX and use it to bash to school and back. That way, if it gets stolen, then it's not a huge loss either.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Rik said:
Grip said:
If you happen to ride steel then a liberal wash out and slosh around the INSIDE of ALL the frame tubes with some good sticky fish oil is recommended.
:shock:
And then it takes a week just to wash the smell off your body and clothes :(

I'd seriously reccomend not leaving your bike out in the rain, even little things like derailleur pinch bolts and stem bolts will rust over time, creating headaches down the road.
My reccomendation is to get a cheap shitty BMX and use it to bash to school and back. That way, if it gets stolen, then it's not a huge loss either.

Oh Rik you are so right... it STINKS... bit only for the first year or two!!! Bottom-line though is that there's nothing better (in the low-tech, low-cost end of the scale) for internal rust "delay" for this sort of application. Anyway it's a moot point as the young bloke's bike is 7005 and he's more likely to "rust" out before it does.

Skillz... ride your bike and have fun and in this case you don't need to worry about rust... but maybe listen to the experienced guys and point the "oil can" at your ride more often if you're going to leave it in the weather.

Cheers

sich nich

Likes Dirt
dude,
if ur worried enough about ur bike going rusty, i wouldnt ride it to school.
id leave ur good bike at home and get a shitter/street bike to ride to school around town. unless u can keep it in a store room locked up like i do.