Raising Awareness for Heatherdale BMX Track

azarawr

Likes Dirt
Long story short, I am sick and tired of seeing the condition of Heatherdale BMX track deteriorate over time and nothing be done about it.
I need more people to join the Facebook event in order to show that I am not the only one with a voice that feels the same way about this council provided facility.
If you, as an individual, could do me the favour of joining this event if you are on Facebook, it just might increase the chances of the facility gaining funding from the Whitehorse Council.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1559769780913613/

Aaron

redbruce

Eats Squid
Long story short, I am sick and tired of seeing the condition of Heatherdale BMX track deteriorate over time and nothing be done about it.
I need more people to join the Facebook event in order to show that I am not the only one with a voice that feels the same way about this council provided facility.
If you, as an individual, could do me the favour of joining this event if you are on Facebook, it just might increase the chances of the facility gaining funding from the Whitehorse Council.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1559769780913613/

Aaron
Are you talking about the old track at Heatherdale Reserve here?

If it is I would tread cautiously with Council. These days all Council facilities are subject to a risk assessment for insurance purposes (may not have been done in the past but will be if they have to spend money on it) and my experience with Councils (Manningham - when I was managing club facilities at Park Orchards BMX club) is that if in doubt they take the conservative approach. That means get rid of it or tame it so much that its not fit for our purpose. If a risk assessment is to be done, make sure Council engage a risk assessor that has experience with "adventurous" type facilities. We were upgrading the track at the time and all plans had to be assessed as well as the site in general.

In our case we had a club and assumed some of the risk as well as managing it on behalf of Council by building to established guidelines. Its the same model that has seen ParksVic open up to allow development MTB trails in their management areas, through a local incorporated club.

The relationship with Council is the critical element. Go and see the outdoor facility co-ordinator and sus the lay of the land out first. Explain the need and support for the local facility and go from there (hint: do not start out with anything that points the finger at Council).

I've had many a good afternoon there with my son when he was starting out BMX racing many years ago. It was a good starters type track.
Unfortunately one of the big issues is the lack of discipline of many riders who just cris cross the track at any point, treating it like a dirt jumps area (of which there is HE Parker, Wonga and Croydon nearby with purpose built jumps). We used to have to leave when that happened as it was then too unsafe for small kids. Its a public place and that is a risk that Council are going to need to be satisfied can be managed if they are to support you so give it some thought.

Good luck.

Might also pay to put this in the BMX thread. There are a few local riders on the forum.

Last edited: